20 year old going travelling.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

20 year old going travelling.

Postby jevs on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 am

My partner's 20 year old daughter wants to go travelling. She wants to go east and probably do some charity work...maybe with Orangutans in Borneo.

However, in the true spirit of a 20 year old, she's not planned a thing, yet wants to go in November.

So has anyone done it or any friends or family done it ? Really not sure where to turn. Are there companies that sort it all out for you?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

Ta muchly
jevs

Re: 20 year old going travelling.

Postby Chinners92 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I did it by myself when I was about 20 - went to Thailand, Cambodia & Laos. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal but looking back now I can see why my parents were so worried.

First piece of advice would be not to trust any natives over there, especially in the cities. They're looking to rip you off left, right and centre. I turned up with nothing booked and although that added to the adventure and probably saved me money, I'd recommend booking a few things in advance so she has some structure.

However, I know a few girls who at that age went with STA Travel as part of a group and they had a great time. They do all sorts of packages and will put you more at ease.

Can't recommend travelling by yourself at that age enough though - exciting, scary and character defining.
Chinners92

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Jevs, have a look at this blog http://thewanderlustadventures.com/

It's my Niece, Amy, who went travelling many moons ago and hasn't stopped, currently in Australia.

You can always contact her direct and say you know her Uncle Paul
hammerdivone

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm

My sister went travelling for a year in 1989 when she was 18. All over the globe. Was tough in those days - no Internet, no mobile phones, not many travellers in some places. She loved it tbf

Travelling is a piece of piss in this day and age
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby jevs on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Chinners92 wrote:
However, I know a few girls who at that age went with STA Travel as part of a group and they had a great time. They do all sorts of packages and will put you more at ease.

Thanks everyone. Followed this super advice and got an appointment booked at the Brighton branch on Tuesday.

Uncle Paul.....loved your Niece's blog, cheers.
jevs

Postby JerseyHammer on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 pm

At 21 I went to California, Hawaii, Fiji, NZ, Australia, Bali & Thailand over 3 months then at 23, India, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Bali, Aus, French Polynesia and LA over 6 months.

Depends where you go as to how much organisation is required. Eg we landed in Bangkok knowing we had another flight 3 months later. Nothing booked at all in between. However for what she seems to be looking to do, getting something sorted would be a good idea, STA is a great shout.

Our first trip was just in the Internet era but no sign of it in most places we went, the second had a few internet cafes around but still not really kicked off. I can't imagine going now. I went 6 months and only called home on Xmas day then a few days before coming home!
JerseyHammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:24 am

How much money do you need to go ' travelling ' for a year and can anyone do it , not just the ones with rich parents ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Yea Why Not on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:34 am

I left to travel Asia in 2015 and haven't been home since :lol:

Loved Asia, spent around 8 months there in total. If you have any questions about the region, backpacking, budget or anything anything else feel free to drop me a PM
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby Yea Why Not on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:How much money do you need to go ' travelling ' for a year and can anyone do it , not just the ones with rich parents ?

Depends on the region. £1k a month in Asia has you living like a flashpacker. A lot of people do it on less, some people travel on half of that. Obviously Europe for example would be far more expensive, excluding Eastern Europe which can also be fairly cheap to travel
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby OFT on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 am

I wonder if young members of the travelling community have a 'stay in one place ' year?

Government institutions not included :o

No offence intended.
OFT

Postby JerseyHammer on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:00 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:How much money do you need to go ' travelling ' for a year and can anyone do it , not just the ones with rich parents ?

Good question this.

We went first time when all of us were 21 and it was around 2.05 US$ per £. We hired a campervan in California and managed to avoid paying a single overnighting fee by finding out of the way places to park up. We got moved on quite a bit.

Total for the first trip, 3 months, was about £3,000 including flights. The round the world ticket was £800, and was my 21st birthday present from the family. I was working in the marina at home, driving the tourist RIB and delivering Chinese food to save / pay rent so it does require some dedication.

The second trip, 6 months, was around £4,000 in total as we went to much cheaper places. India for 6 weeks was about £900 all in, and that was living pretty well.

This is over 10 years ago now since my second trip. You meet some very rich kids, who haven't had to make any sort of sacrifice or put in extra effort but typically they stay in places far beyond the average backpacker and take different transport. You can spot them a mile off and so can most of the locals.
JerseyHammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 pm

When I first went travelling in 2000, Australia was very cheap. About three dollars to the pound as the barny army joyously sung.
When I went travelling again in 2012 (with the wife this time), Australia was absurdly expensive. Not far off 1.5 $ to the pound plus higher prices. Hostels, even grotty ones, were minimum £80 a night for a room.

Thailand is not that cheap anymore but Laos, Cambodia, Burma, India still dirt cheap

No idea about south or central America as never been but I expect higher than the cheapest parts of asia
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Anyone can do it if you have no problem doing it on the cheap and just go to inexpensive countries. Sleep in dorms, eat street food, take public transport and you coukd live in Asia on about £20 a day, easy. However, if you want a bit of comfort (internal flights, private rooms in hostels etc) then it quickly adds up. Most people who go for longer than six months will likely do some kind of paid work at certain points
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:31 pm

It's a great thing to do if you have the time and money - my nephew and his girlfriend went to Australia , worked there , bought a car , went travelling , worked again to get back home .

I did a bit of travelling around Europe , nothing extensive as I was still at School - went to Greece by train as well after I met Jen but nothing as adventurous as round the World stuff as she won't fly .
The Old Man of Storr

Return to The Snug