Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Muddy »

That's madness that is, and what are you doing drinking shandy, don't give me the driving excuse either :lol:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Muddy wrote:That's madness that is, and what are you doing drinking shandy, don't give me the driving excuse either :lol:
I was still hungover from being leathered at the opening ceremony
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

The phrase 'ramped up'. What?
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

British singers who sing with an American/USA accent.

This really winds me up.

It is very common and generally goes completely unchallenged. I think most people don't even notice it.

Such is the ubiquity of this behaviour that it was something of a big deal in the 00s when various bands sung in their own accents - The Futureheads, Kate Nash, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

If artists want us to believe that there is integrity to their music - they could at least sing in their own voices. This should be the norm! Somebody adopting a foreign accent when singing should be perceived as odd - not the other way around. If a singer from London adopted an Glasgow accent every time they sung people would think it was absurd. For some reason, an American accent is perceived to be perfectly reasonable.

I'm sure some people would defend British singers who switch into a US accent the moment they start singing by claiming they are using their 'natural singing voice'. The reality is that they haven't grown out of the bad habit they got into when learning to sing as a teenager by mimicking their favourite American singer.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Hammers80 wrote:
I was still hungover from being leathered at the opening ceremony
Ah fair enough. Powerade is a brilliant hangover cure, rember paying for a bottle with a bloodied up tenna (from where i cut me thumb open the night before on a can) the cashier had a look of shock and horror on his face when i handed it to him, he must've thought i just mugged someone for it.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Muddy wrote:Ordering a pint then being told it costs £4.20
Bottled beer has been £5-£7+ a pint for the last decade or more. I'm surprised Magners is as cheap as it is.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

MintChocChip wrote: I'm sure some people would defend British singers who switch into a US accent the moment they start singing by claiming they are using their 'natural singing voice'. The reality is that they haven't grown out of the bad habit they got into when learning to sing as a teenager by mimicking their favourite American singer.
Ok it was slavish imitation, but it was the voice of early rock'n'roll and pop. There was a sort of backlash with Brit accented punk but I thought it odd that Elvis Costello got famous at exactly that time doing the opposite. Nothing wrong with it imo.
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

vietnammer.

Sure, as the voice of early rock 'n' roll, I can accept it. There was a lot of American influence at that time - not just the accents, but the musical styles, the scales and chord progressions, etc can be heard in British music. Everybody was just starting to explore this new music.

But surely it would be admirable to have moved on since then? Just as I would expect an individual singer to mature and progress from American mimicking, I would expect Britain's normally highly developed cultural tendencies to outgrow this behaviour. Especially when there have been countless examples of British singers who have shown how wonderful it is to sing in one's own accent.

An easy example in contemporary music is Adele. When she speaks, she has a very noticeable working class/London accent. But as soon as she starts singing she drops her own wonderfully characterful voice and adopts an American accent. Don't get me wrong, I think she is a very good singer who has co-written some fantastic songs - but for me it's just a shame that she hasn't achieved her massive and well deserved success whilst using her own accent.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

It's ok to have an americanism as your username, though ? :lol:
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

There are many other examples of this creeping American infection of our culture:

Leagues renamed as conferences
Forthcoming replaced by upcoming, even by the bbc
Sides replacing side orders especially by KFC in their adverts

And the latest to to really irritate me ....

Standings seem to be replacing tables for medal results at the bbc

Come on guys, you should be the last bastions of grammar control, otherwise we can all give up and like use like every two or the words.
MintChocChip

Post by MintChocChip »

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of many things and people from the USA. (And yes, Rocketron - I adore mint choc chip icecream :lol: ). I would actively encourage people to be aware of and influenced by other cultures - this is a very healthy thing. Clearly, it is evident in popular music that artists feed off other scenes, styles and cultures to produce new and exciting music. But, that is not the same as the majority of a country's singers adopting an accent that is not their own.

I think it is a very positive thing for people to celebrate who they are and where they are from. Especially when it comes to the voice. There are surely few things that are more unique and characterful.
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

stupid sayings we still use even though it's been proved to be wrong. the 2 main ones I can think of are..

"dont eat cheese before bed it gives you nightmares" no proof
"you know what they say about men with big feet" also non proven.
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

ohyeah. and I dont like this phrase used in the workplace. or anywhere really. where the f*** did it come from..

"on it, like a car bonnet" Headbanger
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

squatski wrote:"you know what they say about men with big feet" also non proven.
Still smarting about the sales girl who sniggered when you asked for a pair of size 6 adidas, eh?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

People who smell. I went in an office today and this woman stunk like a skunk. It was this "I haven't changed my clothes for a week and I haven't washed either" smell. It was gross, I had to leave the office. From the faces I was pulling her mates gave me the "Yeah I know - it's awful!" look.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

squatski wrote:stupid sayings we still use even though it's been proved to be wrong. the 2 main ones I can think of are..

i have quite small feet but an enormous knob :wink:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

the oldham stripper wrote:i have quite small feet but am an enormous knob :wink:
Jabsco79
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Seeing posters at bus stops for 'Now Thats What I Call Music 82' irritates me because it makes me realise just how much time and life has flown by since I bought what is now a very worn cassette of Now 1 back in '83(?)
Jabsco79
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

squatski wrote:stupid sayings we still use even though it's been proved to be wrong. the 2 main ones I can think of are..

Kinda linked. I've currently got a tendon injury in my right wrist and its medically strapped. The predictable "what you done to your wrist? too much ****ing?" line....must be 15 times now....

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I must be eating loads given how long it took to get an appointment with my GP
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist

Jabsco79 wrote:too much ****ing?" line....must be 15 times now....
What - you've tugged yourself 15 times today? No wonder you've busted your w*nking spanners, mate. You want to lay off the grumble for a couple of days.