Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by dave_l »

The word "baller" to describe a sportsperson that is perceived as above average.

More American poopie.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Mr P wrote:But you're still on here? :wink:
More time to spend on Knees up though!
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Etonhammer wrote:I don't know but every single time I get the 'excuse me sir'...every time without fail!
When I worked in the middle east I used to mainly fly back using KLM, as they were my favourite airline at the time, with at least an overnight stay in Amsterdam. I knew that this meant that customs would normally at least talk to me, tanned guy flying in from Amsterdam on his own just ticked their stereotype box. It never bothered me much, normally I didn't even have to open my case.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:about? You are just going out .... or is that what people think constitutes romance nowadays??
pablo jaye wrote:The term and concept of 'date night' .... what is that all
Made up by couples that have no time for each other and NEED something to fill the void of unhappiness. One of them is most probably having an affair and "date night" helps them overcome the guilt.
There are some right cynics on here ;) Before we moved in together we used to have "date night", all it meant was that we booked one night every week when it was just the two of us - whether staying in or going out to eat.

One that irritates me, and I know it is none of my business, is seeing couples out for a meal and not talking to each other. Only the other night we watched one couple in the same restaurant sit there and eat a three course meal and I would be amazed if they spoke more than three sentences to each other.
Dover KUMB fan
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Dover KUMB fan »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: One that irritates me, and I know it is none of my business, is seeing couples out for a meal and not talking to each other. Only the other night we watched one couple in the same restaurant sit there and eat a three course meal and I would be amazed if they spoke more than three sentences to each other.
Are you stalking me?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Sitting in a restaurant the other night with my wife, and some **** sitting at a near by table kept bogging at us. It made me and the wife feel so uncomfortable keep being watched that we barely uttered a word to each other...
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

-DL- wrote:Sitting in a restaurant the other night with my wife, and some **** sitting at a near by table kept bogging at us. It made me and the wife feel so uncomfortable keep being watched that we barely uttered a word to each other...
Mrs DL's bit on the side is now stalking you both? 8-)
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

delbert wrote:"Algarve Hammer"]People who refer to the ethno-nationalist conflict in Northern Ireland as 'the troubles', is was more than a trouble for those on the receiving end.

I actually quite like that, it is so just British to use a phrase to understate the living **** out of something.....
I have loads of friends from N.Ireland, been there plenty of times and was married to a girl from Belfast, they all refer to the conflict as "the troubles" 8-)
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Maybe the locals referred to it as 'the troubles', but as a wagon driver who had to deliver to Coleraine back in the day, driving an English registered artic I had a few very scary moments, when I asked the local plod what I should do if I was confronted by a roadblock they said "run the ****ers down, you're in a 44ton truck!"

That was all well and good, but it's not in my nature to do that, it was not my fight.

So, my question to you is, the innocent people that were shredded to f*** by bombs, was it a 'trouble' to them?

Or are you trying to be lighthearted, and I've totally missed the point?
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

-DL- wrote:Sitting in a restaurant the other night with my wife, and some **** sitting at a near by table kept bogging at us. It made me and the wife feel so uncomfortable keep being watched that we barely uttered a word to each other...
Sorry about that, but I am obsessed with you. :lol:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Its a quiet news week, so the main headlines are now focused on immigration.......AGAIN!
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

I've whinged a bit about females recently but seriously what is wrong with them as a species. Total mindfucks when just as you are about to move on they drag you back in so you feel like a mug and used yet again
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Algarve Hammer wrote:So, my question to you is, the innocent people that were shredded to **** by bombs, was it a 'trouble' to them?
What do you want to call it? That's the name that's generally been attributed to the conflict so that's what people call it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

My two bit, spend a lot of time in Belfast, and the people I see call it "the troubles"
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

People's inability to give a rating out of ten in the pub and restaurant threads, despite the fact that both clearly ask for one in the title.
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

Something in the supermarket sat in the wrong place and therefore wrong price underneath. Thought it was a cracking deal that was too good to be true. :D
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

42" LCD TV two for a fiver?
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

^^ haha i wish, id argue their error to the end... no was just on some cookware. A load was discounted quite favorably and then there is the odd thing that isn't. Picked up a cracking new wok half price though!
sopaul

Post by sopaul »

Bins

Our bins get picked up once a fortnight which whilst not ideal, we take 2 weeks to fill the wheelie bin so its not a big deal. We also get unlimited recycling boxes etc

The bloke that has just moved in next door in particular is an arse hole when it comes to the simple task of disposing of your rubbish. He doesn't bother to recycle at all despite our council taking everything and allowing you to mx up all your recycling into 1 box.

He has managed to swindle 2 wheelie bins from the council by pretending that his got nicked. It is so important to him that he even moved house with his stolen wheelie bin.

All of this wouldn't really bother me in the slightest but it is his on going attempts to "get away with it" that are starting to boil my piss.

I put my bin by my side gate away from the house by the road. My neighbour has the problem of having to put out 2 wheelie bins without the council realising. To achieve this he puts his stolen wheelie bin by my front door so that it looks like its mine.

last week I came home and had to move it out of the way to get into my own house and I decided I was going to put it in my garden, f*** him.

About half hour later he comes round and asks if I have seen it. "Nah mate, I keep mine round the side, no idea".

Mrs says to me, you're an idiot, you've got 2 wheelie bins in the garden and he can blatently see them over the fence, what are you going to do now?"

I think about this and realise that I don't want to fall out with the bloke I live next to over wheelie bins.

So I end up going round there later and saying that both the mrs and I bought in what we thought was our bin and we've just noticed we have 2.

I basically end up apologising to him!

I'm having a shocker.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Why not politely say to him, 'Look mate, the reason I took your bin in by mistake is because you left it in front of my front door - any chance you can leave it outside your house in future?' Then the ball is firmly in his court.