Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Or just tell the guy at the bar that you're ordering and he'll move for a couple of moments.

I like ordering at the point at the bar where there's people. All you do is ask to squeeze in, then you're right at the front to get someone's attention to get served straight away.

Most people avoid any sort of conflict/question, so just queue like sheep up the end.
Its just the way they stand there and completely ignore you, knowing that you want to get served. I have no problem with people who acknowledge you and let you be served, but (as was the case the other night) the two dickheads who looked at me like I'd got two heads when I shouted my order over to the barman who was waiting to serve me. Not the first time it's happened too.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

lewisham-mer wrote:Bus drivers changing the destination midway through your journey.
Hi. :D

Sometimes there is no choice - it's to try and get the service back on track when there's delays, or to prevent driving hours breaches - or a combination of both.

I don't like having to do it, because people do get the hump and I've had people get aggressive. I refused a curtailment today. was doing 96 to Bluewater from Woolwich and at Crayford I was called up and told to curtail at Dartford. I was rammed so refused, and curtailed at Plumstead garage on the way back to Woolwich instead so I didn't breach.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

-DL- wrote:
Sometimes there is no choice - it's to try and get the service back on track when there's delays, or to prevent driving hours breaches - or a combination of both.

I don't like having to do it, because people do get the hump and I've had people get aggressive. I refused a curtailment today. was doing 96 to Bluewater from Woolwich and at Crayford I was called up and told to curtail at Dartford. I was rammed so refused, and curtailed at Plumstead garage on the way back to Woolwich instead so I didn't breach.
About twelve years ago I lived in Pimlico and used to get the no.38 to work. It was one of the bendy buses. On the return journey it would frequently terminate before Victoria, which irritated a lot of people. One day the driver terminated it in Shaftesbury Avenue. One bloke on the train was incandescent and went full Basil Fawlty, grabbing a plastic barrier from the road and hitting the bus with it. He drew a crowd of about 20 who went from shocked to laughter in a very short space of time. Eventually the police got there.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

It's just one of those things that's unavoidable. When there is a blockage in the system as it were, there's no point having most of the vehicles on the route crammed up in one area. It means people at the other end of the route, or in the opposite direction will get no service at all.

Drivers generally get no say in the matter, unless it's a situation like I had today, where the amount of people I would have had to ask to get off, wouldn't be able to fit on the one behind. Explain that to the controller, and they'll let it run - although if it's running really late, they may still override you and say do it anyway.

Like today, it was taking 45 minutes to get from Bexleyheath through to Crayford. It usually takes 15 or so minutes. So one gets sent all the way through to Bluewater, one through only as far as Dartford, one through to Bluewater and so on. Ones sent all the way curtail on the way back, and once the traffic has died down, or an incident has cleared, a normal service is resumed, and all the vehicles are where they are supposed to be, or there or there abouts.

I do get how frustrating it must be for the passengers, but it's an action that isn't taken unless is absolutely necessary for the service as a whole - because first and foremost, that's what we have to provide in one way or another.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

For the 10 years I lived in London, from Primrose Hill to Dulwich and other places in between, the buses were the one consistently decent part of the transport system.

Even when there was snow the buses would get me home.

In the middle of the night being smashed in exotic parts of the capital that cabs steered clear of the night buses would get me to where I needed to be.

As it is this thread I will say that other passengers on the buses can be right c****.
Claretdave
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

-DL- wrote:It's just one of those things that's unavoidable. When there is a blockage in the system as it were, there's no point having most of the vehicles on the route crammed up in one area. It means people at the other end of the route, or in the opposite direction will get no service at all.

Drivers generally get no say in the matter, unless it's a situation like I had today, where the amount of people I would have had to ask to get off, wouldn't be able to fit on the one behind. Explain that to the controller, and they'll let it run - although if it's running really late, they may still override you and say do it anyway.

Like today, it was taking 45 minutes to get from Bexleyheath through to Crayford. It usually takes 15 or so minutes. So one gets sent all the way through to Bluewater, one through only as far as Dartford, one through to Bluewater and so on. Ones sent all the way curtail on the way back, and once the traffic has died down, or an incident has cleared, a normal service is resumed, and all the vehicles are where they are supposed to be, or there or there abouts.

I do get how frustrating it must be for the passengers, but it's an action that isn't taken unless is absolutely necessary for the service as a whole - because first and foremost, that's what we have to provide in one way or another.
One thing I have never got is people lashing out at Tube staff/bus drivers/sales assistants etc because things don't go well. One presumes you don't divert your bus for a laugh or you need a piss.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Claretdave wrote:About twelve years ago I lived in Pimlico and used to get the no.38 to work. It was one of the bendy buses. On the return journey it would frequently terminate before Victoria, which irritated a lot of people. One day the driver terminated it in Shaftesbury Avenue. One bloke on the train was incandescent and went full Basil Fawlty, grabbing a plastic barrier from the road and hitting the bus with it. He drew a crowd of about 20 who went from shocked to laughter in a very short space of time. Eventually the police got there.
:lol: That story actually made me laugh out loud. I would love to have witnessed it.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Perfume and Aftershave adverts on TV.

They're all the ****ing same. Use some imagination ffs.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Perfume and Aftershave adverts on TV.

They're all the ****ing same. Use some imagination ffs.
You can tell within 1.5 seconds if it's an advert for stench.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

fjthegrey wrote: You can tell within 1.5 seconds if it's an advert for stench.
Man on top of a skyscraper in a suit.....
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Having a load of good films lined up on Amazon and the other half wants to watch Grumpy Cat.
Claretdave

Post by Claretdave »

vietnammer wrote:Having a load of good films lined up on Amazon and the other half wants to watch Grumpy Cat.
I am in the wrong thread, but my wife is away today and I have had Sky Sports on for 12 hours..... :oops:
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

I have run out of red win/port......this will be painful tomorrow considering the alternatives, :P
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

The whole ****ing world seems to exist on ....a password or username or e mail address or pin number or account number or debit card number or postcode number or verification code number or mobile phone number or CVV number.

I'm just a ****ing number....

Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

davids cross wrote:
I'm just a ****ing number....
You are not a number, you're a free man!
1875Hammer

Post by 1875Hammer »

Hammers Dad wrote:You are not a number, you're a free man!
You are a number 2
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Quarter to four in the afternoon and I've just seen some sort of mother go past still in her pyjamas and bath robe picking it's kids up from school.

It's waddling slags like her that undermine the efforts of hard working racists the length of the country...... :lol:
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

This one is a question for DL. Not a dig, or anything like that, more of an observation.

I am a frequent user on your route, and various others in the area. Very probably been on your bus Sir.

Why does the change of drivers happen outside Plumstead Bus Garage? Would it not be better for the new driver to travel to the start or end of route, rather than delay the journey by up to 5 minutes while it takes place?
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

Insurance Companies, the bastards.

It's law that you have to have it and they know it so think they can charge what they want. I've had quotes ranging from £250 to over £1000 for the same damned car. And then they add the Insurance Premium Tax on to kick you when you're down. What's all that about?

Rip off merchants, the lot of them. :x