Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by prince_huggy »

sendô wrote:Yup, on your mum
I would've been your Dad but the dog beat me under the fence :D
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

I want to know this -----

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission ? Isn't that,by definition, a monopoly?
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

How do street acts do the floating tricks for hours or lean abnormally far back without falling over, i work near Covent Garden and it baffles me every single time i see one
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

WoodfordJnr wrote:How do street acts do the floating tricks for hours or lean abnormally far back without falling over, i work near Covent Garden and it baffles me every single time i see one
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

WoodfordJnr wrote:How do street acts do the floating tricks for hours or lean abnormally far back without falling over, i work near Covent Garden and it baffles me every single time i see one

Sky hooks.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

:lol:
raggy

Post by raggy »

The leaning trick is the shoes being made a specific way. Google Michael Jackson doing it in his music video and you'll find how it's done.

Dynamo walked on the Thames, I guess that's a street floating act?
I worked on the boats and we pulled into place a walkway. Completely transparent that sat just below the waterline.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The Viet Cong put bridges under the water surface, so they couldn't be seen by aircraft.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

What is it belonging to a monkey that you're not supposed to give?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

vietnammer wrote:What is it belonging to a monkey that you're not supposed to give?
3 bananas (your boss at work might be unimpressed)
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

That's ok, it's just the afternoon pick-me-up that I needed.

I've got 3 bananas in me bag right now
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ try if it works with hoomans too...
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

The floating tricks are easy to explain - they're always "lightly resting" a hand on something - which just happens to be a frame strong enough to support their body weight, which runs up their sleeve and around their body.

See here for example
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Crisp flavours .... Do they really get a top chef or similar to concoct amazing flavours, or do they just randomly mix a few chemicals together, think 'mmmm, that tastes nice and will sell but what can we call it?' Then do they get some wine taster to decide ... 'Mmm hint of smoke, black currant and raspberries there - let's call them Smokey Summer Fruit crisps'!

The reason I ask is that last night some pals brought over some Roast Chicken, Mustard and Worcester Sauce flavoured crisps and we were wondering who on earth decided that the world needs that flavour?!
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

A football related one:

A team is chasing the game and makes a substitution to bolster their attack. To do this, they sacrifice a defender, which 9 times out of 10 is the poor old left back, and bring on an attacker of some sort. But, instead of changing the formation from (say) 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 or 3-3-4 or something, they move one of the existing midfield or attacking players to left back, so they can play the rest of the game there, out of position, while the sub plays in the moved player's position.

So, WTF is the logic of this? I understand bringing on a fresh attacker, but if you're not going to change the formation why not sub the player in midfield and leave the full back on?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

A football related one:

A team is chasing the game and makes a substitution to bolster their attack. To do this, they sacrifice a defender, which 9 times out of 10 is the poor old left back, and bring on an attacker of some sort. But, instead of changing the formation from (say) 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 or 3-3-4 or something, they move one of the existing midfield or attacking players to left back, so they can play the rest of the game there, out of position, while the sub plays in the moved player's position.

So, WTF is the logic of this? I understand bringing on a fresh attacker, but if you're not going to change the formation why not sub the player in midfield and leave the full back on?
I hated Roeder too - but he's gone now - everything is fine
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

vietnammer wrote:What is it belonging to a monkey that you're not supposed to give?
4rse - or toss

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/724.html
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

pablo jaye wrote:The reason I ask is that last night some pals brought over some Roast Chicken, Mustard and Worcester Sauce flavoured crisps and we were wondering who on earth decided that the world needs that flavour?!
The Walkers sensation line of crisps was essentially created to plug a big gap in the market. A few years ago the group did some market research to establish what time of day people eat crisps and it was overwhelmingly biased towards the afternoon and lunch times. They needed to come up with a way to get people eating crisps in the evening, so they brought out the sensations line. The idea was that the flavours would be more robust and savoury to offset or accompany an evening meal rather than as a minor lunchtime aside.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:I hated Roeder too - but he's gone now - everything is fine
It's not just Roedent; this happens in a significant number of the games that I listen to commentary on 5live. Seems bloody stupid to me - if I was the opposing manager, I would instantly focus my attack onto overloading the stand-in full back
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

pablo jaye wrote:Crisp flavours .... Do they really get a top chef or similar to concoct amazing flavours, or do they just randomly mix a few chemicals together, think 'mmmm, that tastes nice and will sell but what can we call it?' Then do they get some wine taster to decide ... 'Mmm hint of smoke, black currant and raspberries there - let's call them Smokey Summer Fruit crisps'!

The reason I ask is that last night some pals brought over some Roast Chicken, Mustard and Worcester Sauce flavoured crisps and we were wondering who on earth decided that the world needs that flavour?!
Welcome to my world . . . .

You'd be surprised what goes into the selection, depending on the company. In some it's 9-12 months of customer surveys and focus groups, in others it's just one person who thinks 'ooo, I fancy a chicken and banana flavoured crisp'.

Let's be honest though, no-one NEEDS it. It's a matter of choice and pleasure only. And crisp manufacturers know that their competition is not other snack companies or products, but angry birds and iPhone ring tones, as they compete for the disposable income.