Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by sendô »

Do you have to start it sober, or can you get people doing it once they've already had a couple?
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Why do vans without rear windows have rear window wipers?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

jastons wrote:Why do vans without rear windows have rear window wipers?

Do they?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

jastons wrote:Why do vans without rear windows have rear window wipers?
Really? Don't recall seeing too many of them. Presumably, they're blanked out windows, rather than steel panels?
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Yes, I saw a van with steel panels at the back with a rear window wiper this morning, which prompted my post, but I've seen and wondered about this before.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Brilliant. Thanks for that.

I've told her and she's up for it. Just got to wait for a day when we're not doing anything the next day. I've omitted to tell her how out of her nut she's going to get as she thinks it'll be a doddle. Oh I'm going to enjoy this, I just hope I can remember it.

:scarfer:
I've just realised, I wrote 25ml but it's a full shot glass, whatever that is.

The time I succeeded, I hadn't really eaten for quite a while before as it was one of those classic moments when you have absolutely no plans to drink whatsoever and actually need to be in some sort of shape the following day. My arm tends to twist without too much persuasion and it sounded pretty easy.

The hour of power was relatively easy from what I remember, I found it hit me like a train after that. Also, if you really want her to make a scene, use Stella or something nice and potent!!
sendô wrote:Do you have to start it sober, or can you get people doing it once they've already had a couple?
Good question, I was sober, as has been mentioned on previous pages, it seems like a stiff drink a bit before might actually improve chances. Asked a mate and he didn't know, said "why the hell would anyone want to drink before!?" though BalaamBoy's explanations make a lot of sense.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

If it's a full shot glass, that's a pint every 11 minutes. I know a bloke who sunk 7 pints in an hour once, but he was a hardened boozer. Most people aren't putting away 5.5 pints in an hour, especially when it's spaced out into shots like that.

A full 100 minutes of 50ml shots of beer works out at 5 litres in 1h 40m - 8.7pints. Good luck with that.

NOTE - the internet reckons it's 25ml shots, which is 2.5 litres, or 4.3 pints in 100 minutes. Achievable, but still pretty unpleasant.
S-H

Post by S-H »

DasNutNock wrote:If it's a full shot glass, that's a pint every 11 minutes. I know a bloke who sunk 7 pints in an hour once, but he was a hardened boozer. Most people aren't putting away 5.5 pints in an hour, especially when it's spaced out into shots like that.

A full 100 minutes of 50ml shots of beer works out at 5 litres in 1h 40m - 8.7pints. Good luck with that.

NOTE - the internet reckons it's 25ml shots, which is 2.5 litres, or 4.3 pints in 100 minutes. Achievable, but still pretty unpleasant.
The theme of the videos I watched on YouTube, of people attempging this, generally seem to involve vomit, lots of vomit.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

DasNutNock wrote:Most people aren't putting away 5.5 pints in an hour
i thought that was just average for english people :eh:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

First day of a holiday to Spain, maybe. But under normal circumstances, that is a lot of booze to be processing. A pint every 11 minutes for 100 minutes would probably kill a fair number of people if they tried to consume that much.
JerseyHammer

Post by JerseyHammer »

DasNutNock wrote:First day of a holiday to Spain, maybe. But under normal circumstances, that is a lot of booze to be processing. A pint every 11 minutes for 100 minutes would probably kill a fair number of people if they tried to consume that much.
It wasn't as much as that (during centurion) - I remember it took 6-7 cans of 440ml. I must have the shot sizes wrong. But yeah 5.5 pints an hour is crazy, plus you'd most likey have to piss yourself in situ (not allowed to leave seat!). For the record, I know someone that did as such.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Shot is 25ml, double 50ml in UK pubs, isn’t it? That’s roughly 23 shots in a pint (568ml) so 4.3 pints in 100 mins. Or 8.6 pints if you’re doing doubles.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Anyone fancy their chances?

http://www.recordholdersrepublic.co.uk/ ... swell.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JerseyHammer

Post by JerseyHammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Shot is 25ml, double 50ml in UK pubs, isn’t it? That’s roughly 23 shots in a pint (568ml) so 4.3 pints in 100 mins. Or 8.6 pints if you’re doing doubles.
Yeah 25ml - though that's if doing it at a pub. We always did it (the 3 or 4 times) with whatever random shotglasses were lying around / stolen from nights out / given as a gift from a mates' 2 week stint in Thailand.

If my estimate of 6-7 cans of 440ml is correct (say 6.5 cans) that's 5 pints, so probably about right.

All I know is, I won't be giving it a go any times soon.

On the topic, why do hangovers get worse with age? And I don't mean old age, I'm 32 and struggle!
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

JerseyHammer wrote:On the topic, why do hangovers get worse with age? And I don't mean old age, I'm 32 and struggle!
The hated hangover is only a little less mysterious to scientists than to the rest of us, but evidence - and experience - suggest that it does get nastier with age.
Research suggests that our hangovers start getting noticeably worse at age 29, but the reasons are not entirely clear, or agreed upon.
Most experts suggest it’s due to a number of factors including our bodies’ fat content, diminishing ability to process alcohol and - for lack of a better term - practice at drinking excessive amounts.
We break down what happens to your body after 29 to make recovery so much more brutal.

Our bodies have an incredible ability to adjust to survive just about anything we subject them to, at least in the short term, including too much to drink.
Enzymes in the liver break down alcohol to make it digestible and tolerable to the rest of our system.
An average adult can process about one drink with 0.6fl oz of alcohol every 90 minutes.
However if you continually subject your liver to an onslaught of your favorite elixir, it catches on quickly and prioritizes alcohol digestion over other processes, enabling you to break it down more efficiently and quickly.
But, practice makes perfect, and your liver adjusts in the opposite direction if you stop drinking such a high volume: your liver gets a sort of reset, and goes back to producing lower levels of the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH).
Though the timeline for this reset depends on factors like age, sex, genetics and size, you can typically get back to a baseline tolerance in a matter of a few days.
According to a 2015 study conducted in the UK, alcohol-consumption peaks around the age of 25 for most.
Our overall metabolism slows with age too, adding to the uphill battle against alcohol.
This also affects our body-fat content because we do not use up the energy stores in fat cells as quickly, particularly the deep abdominal fat known as visceral adipose tissue.
Women are particularly vulnerable to this after menopause. Post-menopausal women’s bodies produce less estrogen, so they produce more fat cells, which also produce estrogen, in a biological attempt to make up the difference.
At the same time, both men and women lose muscle mass. Importantly, while muscle tissue is about 75 percent water, fat is only about 10 percent water.
Alcohol is water soluble, meaning that it is absorbed much more quickly by water-rich - or muscular bodies - than by fattier, less water-rich bodies.
Total bodyweight is comprised of between 50 and 60 percent water in adults (with men falling on the upper end of that scale, and women on the lower) until about age 50. Over 50, those percentage start to fall (to about 56 and 47 percent for men and women, respectively).
This is a two-fold problem, not only for absorption but for dehydration.
We still don’t know exactly what the biological causes of a hangover are, but most experts suspect that it is a minor form of withdrawal, coupled with pretty major dehydration, which we can thank for those killer headaches.
Inevitably, as we age, we are more likely to be to become dehydrated. Our internal sense of thirst dies down and changes to a more general feeling of fatigue, so we don’t realize as immediately that what we need is a tall drink of water.
Simultaneously, kidney function gets degraded. We conserve water best when our kidneys are able to efficiently and effectively concentrate urine.
But as our kidney function declines with age, so does our ability to retain the proper balance of water, increasing the risk of dehydration, and therefore, a hangover.
The Alcohol Hangover Research Group, however has argued that dehydration is a poor fit for explaining the majority of hangover symptoms.
They have, however, proposed links between the severity of a hangover and sleep, and suggest that hangover symptoms are most consistent with the effects of cytokines.
The group showed that there was a closer link between the quality and quantity of sleep a person had gotten and how bad their symptoms were than between their state and the number of drinks they had had.
Though their research has not explored causes, sleep also degrades with age, suggesting that, if the group is right about sleep and hangovers, every time we celebrate another birthday with a night out, we are probably inviting a worse hangover than we had the year before.

Good getting old, 'aint it?
S-H

Post by S-H »

I can go out on the lash and not remember getting in, wake up feeling fresh as a daisy (that is rare though) yet other times I'll have a couple of pints down the pub, home by 9:30 and wake up with a banging headache!

:eh:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

somerset-hammer wrote:I can go out on the lash and not remember getting in
Beer TARDIS or Beer scooter?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Darksiding
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

somerset-hammer wrote:I can go out on the lash and not remember getting in
DasNutNock wrote: Beer TARDIS or Beer scooter?
kebab compass?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Beer overcoat.