Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by southbrishammer »

ironsjh wrote:What would happen if a party gains a majority in the commons but their leader does not win a seat?
I expect party leader would not become Prime Minister, but could there be ways around this?
Probably the party would persuade a young flunky in a safe seat to resign and trigger a by election which the leader could win, and meanwhile a senior cabinet minister would act as stand in PM.

Elevating them to the Lords would probably be very unpopular with the great unwashed.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

prince_huggy wrote: Not that I like them but shouldn't everyone be able to rehabilitate?
Not nonces,no.Just my opinion.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

woodgreenspur wrote:I think you may have misunderstood me.What I meant ,i feel he was mistakenly allowed to do it, under their rules.I have no problem with the fella doing jury service,as..
A. He is my friend
B. I believe in the rehabilitation of prisoners. Nonces aside.
Hope that clears that up.
no problem mate, i was being a bit of an arse :)
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Same old warp, always a little arsey :D
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

There was something I wanted to know last night, a really good one as it happens, but I've forgotten what it was.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

The best professional darts players in the world do well to hit 50% of their doubles to win a leg.

What many goes does your bog standard local pub darts player need to hit their double? 10-15 throws? What's a good % at that level?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

James P wrote:The best professional darts players in the world do well to hit 50% of their doubles to win a leg.

What many goes does your bog standard local pub darts player need to hit their double? 10-15 throws? What's a good % at that level?
Typically a decent pub player will average around 60, double % would be around 15 to 20.

Meaning that if 2 decent players have a match, one will likely hit a double every 5 or 6 darts (on average), so normally a couple of turns each and someone will have checked out. At least that was my experience of it, I was averaging around 60 to 65 in my heydey. However you do end up with the odd 40 dart leg when neither player manages to finish well

They also reckon that the pros have much better checkout stats when playing away from the stage, to be expected I suppose.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

prince_huggy wrote:Same old warp, always a little arsey :D
yea', on a good day...
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Nice one Jersey.

I do enjoy throwing darts but can't hit doubles to save my life. Normally just ends up with me and a mate throwing at double 1 for twenty minutes before giving up.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

James P wrote:Nice one Jersey.

I do enjoy throwing darts but can't hit doubles to save my life. Normally just ends up with me and a mate throwing at double 1 for twenty minutes before giving up.
Once I started taking it a bit more seriously, I didnt find it that hard to get to around 50-55 average. I'd still be able to knock that out now. From then on requires some dedication. The top lads spend 6+ hours a day practising.

Also, weird how after a while certain areas of the board seem to be easier to hit than others, I always liked double 19 / 3 / 17 (bottom of the board) even though I'm 6'2"
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2609 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I was listening to TMS on Friday and dear old Henry Bloefeld came up with a cracker of a question. When a flock of birds suddenly takes off all together, which one of them makes the decision to go off? I know sometimes something can suddenly make them jump (eg a cricket ball suddenly approaching them at high speed) but there are occasions when they all take flight for no apparent reason.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

JerseyHammer wrote:Typically a decent pub player will average around 60, double % would be around 15 to 20.

Meaning that if 2 decent players have a match, one will likely hit a double every 5 or 6 darts (on average), so normally a couple of turns each and someone will have checked out. At least that was my experience of it, I was averaging around 60 to 65 in my heydey. However you do end up with the odd 40 dart leg when neither player manages to finish well

They also reckon that the pros have much better checkout stats when playing away from the stage, to be expected I suppose.
Very true, and they also have ingrained into their game, the best possible checkouts for any finish which they'll fall back on if they miss a target. Something I struggle with at the moment. Pro darts player's mental arithmetic never ceases to amaze me as I'm pretty crap at it.
Players will also have their favourite doubles - double 8 and 16 being quite popular. Double one is a pain in the arse and usually what I end up on due to my crap finishing.
Last edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

pablo jaye wrote:I was listening to TMS on Friday and dear old Henry Bloefeld came up with a cracker of a question. When a flock of birds suddenly takes off all together, which one of them makes the decision to go off? I know sometimes something can suddenly make them jump (eg a cricket ball suddenly approaching them at high speed) but there are occasions when they all take flight for no apparent reason.
I could be wrong on this, but I think its the pack mentality, similar to horse racing. Horses, when they're racing aren't all competing to be first past the post in their minds, nor are they galloping because the jockey is whipping them apparently. Its fear that's driving them on and the lead horse is the catalyst for the others to go hell of leather after him, due to some unseen danger that's perceived. Like some kind of chain reaction within all of them to get the hell out of dodge sharpish.

That's my theory anyway on the bird question anyway.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Pro darts player's mental arithmetic never ceases to amaze me as I'm pretty crap at it.
Players will also have their favourite doubles - double 8 and 16 being quite popular. Double one is a pain in the arse and usually what I end up on due to my crap finishing.
When you're doing it a lot, you remember it by patterns.

For example, if you got down to 170, you wouldn't sit and count out how many trebles to get to a double etc, you'd know that 170 = T20, T20, bull to finish.

As to D16 and D8, the popularity behind them is if you miss and hit a single, it halves each time right down to D1, without the need to go for additional singles. If you missed say a D9, you'd then need to throw a 1 to get onto D4.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Collective nouns. Not so much what they are, like a parliament of owls or a murder of crows, but who actually decides on them?
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

vietnammer wrote:There was something I wanted to know last night, a really good one as it happens, but I've forgotten what it was.
So, are you saying that you want to know what you wanted to know?

It was probably to do with plastic pants.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Collective nouns. Not so much what they are, like a parliament of owls or a murder of crows, but who actually decides on them?
Terms of venery
swisstony
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by swisstony »

Collective nouns?

A load of b*llocks
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Found this in the kitchen last night. Is this a False Widow Spider?

Looks to me, from a Google Search, very much so, but just wanted to see if anyone knew for absolute sure.

sendô

Post by sendô »

I don't know but if I found that in my kitchen it'd be dead within seconds.