Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Woody

DL's service is excellent. You can be sure you're buying a well tested bit of kit :thup:
woodford
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Woody

DL's service is excellent. You can be sure you're buying a well tested bit of kit :thup:

thats the thing mate, i need the service bit, when people talk about addons and builds it may as well be chinese
woodford

Post by woodford »

-DL- wrote:
If you want to go a step further, I've got some smallish PC's with Windows & HDMI that you can stick under or next to the telly.

A few people off of here have had then from me and no complaints so far.

A little Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and you've got a nice box to use from your sofa. Great for watching grot on the big screen once the Mrs has gone to bed.
Oooh this sounds good mate, can you send me the details if i drop you my details on PM cheers
water
Total likes: 1 like

Post by water »

I would be interested in one of those as well..will pm you....because I haven't a scobby do about these boxes
rare as rockinghorse shat
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

woody

If DL hasn't got the time to put a Kodi build on there for you, PM me and we'll maybe try to arrange a remote desktop connection and I'll try set it up for you afterwards
woodford

Post by woodford »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:woody

If DL hasn't got the time to put a Kodi build on there for you, PM me and we'll maybe try to arrange a remote desktop connection and I'll try set it up for you afterwards

cheersRARS , you're a gentleman :thup:
raggy

Post by raggy »

His well adding spyware to see those saucy Miss woody photos you keep.
And to share with the snug of course.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

Why is every pub fruit machine Deal or no Deal now, if not Deal or no Deal then some variant of it?

Is it that popular or have creators run out of ideas?

EDIT: on that note what happened to Pocket Money Pool, Silver Strike Bowling or Golden Tee?
raggy

Post by raggy »

90% of people it seems only want to play the deal or no deal ones. It's caught there imagination and it seems to be that punters get tricked into thinking they have a better chance of winning.
This obviously isn't the case as they have the same payout % as any other machine.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Why do Reading have so many mid - week games kicking off at 8pm, when the rest of the league kick off at 7.45 ?
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

jastons wrote:Why do Reading have so many mid - week games kicking off at 8pm, when the rest of the league kick off at 7.45 ?
They need the extra 15 minutes to inflate all their inflatables.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I'll probably sound really stupid and/or naive, but I have never understood the concept of 'hips'.

As far as I know, both men and women have pretty much identical hipbones, which all serve the same purpose of connecting your legs to your spine, and supporting your internal organs, but when describing the external area of the body surrounding the hipbone, on women it's called hips (plural), which can be swung and are sexy, while on men the same area is called a waist (singular), which just spreads when we eat too much. In fact the only time there is any consistency is when journalists talk about dieting using the phrase "watching your waistline" - why not "hipline"?

Am I missing something?

Also, why do some people need hip replacements? I can't think of any other bone that is replaced so routinely.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

If your legs connect to your waist, you're a bloody funny shape. Men have hips too, in the same place as women's, but women tend to deposit fat around the hips and arse leading to the classic "hourglass" shape (or more often nowadays the "saggy apple" or "overflowing fat sack of lard" shape).

But the waist is the area above the pelvic girdle, in the gap below the rib cage - basically the bit where you've got no bones other than the spine, whereas the hips attach to the pelvic girdle. They wear out because they get a whole lot a use, and humans aren't really designed for standing upright; but they're not the only joints that get replaced - knees do as well, but hips are the only weight-bearing ball & socket joint.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

southbrishammer wrote: Also, why do some people need hip replacements? I can't think of any other bone that is replaced so routinely.
The hip is really only being replaced in passing.

Most people have cartilage between the ball and socket that basically acts as the lubricant in the joint. Some of us wear out this cartilage for a variety of reasons: overuse, leg length discrepancy, muscular imbalance particularly in the gluteus and, generally, there's at least a bit of osteoarthritis as well.

If you look at the X-Ray of someone who needs hip replacement, there's generally a fair amount of bone-on-bone contact between the ball and socket as the cartilage wears away. At some point, this stops you from being able to do things. Mine was probably on its way out for a good twenty years but, I went from being State Triathlon Champion in 2009 to being unable to walk more than a quarter mile by the early summer of this year.

As they can't surgically replace cartilage, they replace the whole joint. The surgeon resurfaces the hip and puts in a titanium mesh with a polyethylene (very slippery) liner to give you a new socket. He then lops off the head of your femur and hammers a stainless steel ball on a spike down your femur.

It's absolutely ****ing wonderful and I only wish I'd had it done a couple of years earlier.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Wow, a properly informative post in the Snug. Thanks CB.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

If no one has actually been out in space without a space suit how does anyone know that there is no oxygen out there?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ i'v been there. nada oxygen.
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

warp wrote:^ i'v been there. nada oxygen.
:lol: Fair enough. At least now i know!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

WoodfordJnr wrote:If no one has actually been out in space without a space suit how does anyone know that there is no oxygen out there?
How do you know boiling water is at 100ºC without sticking your finger into it?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

^ by definition :wink: