what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Don't let ClaretDave know you were drinking in a Wetherspoons. He'll instantly brand you as an under-achiever.
I only wish I was that high up on the social scale . :)
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Three Kings, Clerkenwell.

Few decent ales on, unfussy food. Can stand outside and not be viewable from my office. Been coming here since I first started working in London in 1997 and it hasn't really changed that much.

Solid.

8/10
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Sunday actually

The Amersham Arms, New Cross
It's a music /comedy venue rather than a pub , all a bit grotty, dirt everywhere, seats were filthy , limited fridge offering , several beers and lagers on tap .Roof terrace with a staircase that was a death trap .2/10

The Marquis of Granby , New Cross
As above in terms of grime , did though have the football on the telly , 4/10 .
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

Crown and Shuttle, Liv St. Banging outside area, serve decent stodge food (burgers, hot dogs etc) from a burger van type thing in the garden. Only drank G&T's so can't comment on beers.

8.5/10
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Denzil wrote:Crown and Shuttle, Liv St. Banging outside area, serve decent stodge food (burgers, hot dogs etc) from a burger van type thing in the garden. Only drank G&T's so can't comment on beers.

8.5/10
I was in there last summer.The bloke behind the ramp got the right hump when i told him what it was like in the late 70s,with its Nuremberg type rallies.Basically called me a liar and reckoned i was talking about somewhere else.Has got a good beer garden for such a central pub though
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

The Kings Arms Roupell Street SE1.

Pretty and largely un reconstructed pub in a beautiful side street. I had three pints of what I thought was Young's Ordinary, I didnt buy it, but on going to get my round in they said they had none, so I ordered a beer called The King of Ales (at least I think it was called that). All very palatable.

Pub 9/10
Beer 8/10
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

The White Horse Newburgh Street London W1 - Hadnt been in this gaff in years and was dreading it, as its an industry hangout which tend to to swerve. But it was fine as it turns out.

Decent few pints of Pride. Boiling hot evening so there were huge crowds outside on the street drinking, which meant the bar was empty so we got served immediately, our party of about a dozen could all sit or stand together in comfort and talk and drink.

7/10
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

What's happened to the Black Lion post migration to Stratford? Do many still drink in there?
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

woodgreenspur wrote:I was in there last summer.The bloke behind the ramp got the right hump when i told him what it was like in the late 70s,with its Nuremberg type rallies.Basically called me a liar and reckoned i was talking about somewhere else.Has got a good beer garden for such a central pub though
I could be wrong, but think I saw my first stripper in the Crown and Shuttle. Late 90s.
EugeneSpeed

Post by EugeneSpeed »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:What's happened to the Black Lion post migration to Stratford? Do many still drink in there?
Would be interested to know too.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

EugeneSpeed wrote:
I could be wrong, but think I saw my first stripper in the Crown and Shuttle. Late 90s.
Yep, it was quite possible.If i remember rightly, they didn't have a stage ,so they just use to do there act on the pub floor.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

woodgreenspur wrote:Yep, it was quite possible.If i remember rightly, they didn't have a stage ,so they just use to do there act on the pub floor.
I was working on a job round there in my bricklaying days in the late 80s and I'm sure I went into that pub and watched the strippers one Friday afternoon. There was another pub round the corner (The Seven Stars I think) which also had strippers. Quite funny actually, a few of the turned up dressed like yuppies all business suits and heels. They really looked like high flyers and I thought they looked out of place til they reappeared with next to nothing on. :lol:
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:What's happened to the Black Lion post migration to Stratford? Do many still drink in there?
Most unfortunately have died.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Crate on Saturday night.

Full of ageing hipsters, 5 deep queue at the bar and a 15 minute wait to have a piss in the 2 shared toilets. The stout was a bit too heavy, the pale ale and lager was alright. Gave me a massive headache in the morning.

And I fell over straddling the bench in the beer garden while jumping out the way of a massive rat heading for the river. :oops:

5 out of 10.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

smuts wrote:Crate on Saturday night.

Full of ageing hipsters, 5 deep queue at the bar and a 15 minute wait to have a piss in the 2 shared toilets. The stout was a bit too heavy, the pale ale and lager was alright. Gave me a massive headache in the morning.

And I fell over straddling the bench in the beer garden while jumping out the way of a massive rat heading for the river. :oops:

5 out of 10.
Howling Hops next door is much bettter.
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

^^^^agreed. The Tank Bar/Howling Hops have better beer and quicker service. I get the feeling from The Crate that we're not that welcome. I also like the fact I can watch people from The Crate eating their pizzas through the bog windows in the Tank Bar whilst I'm having a wazz.
bunk
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by bunk »

Paris Nord Cafe, Paris - A visit to kill time waiting for Eurostar, pints of Pelforth for a very reasonable €5, if drunk at the bar. Allowed a good vantage point to look at the sheer amount of weirdos that vacate outside of the station, almost like a cartoon. 6/10

Franks Cafe, Peckham - Not exactly a pub (a bar on top of a multi-story car park) but always good fun. The views you get looking north across London alone are worth a visit, just wear a jacket as in September it gets a little cold up there. 8.5/10.

The Woolpack, Bermondsey - A decent sized beer garden and luckily managed to beat the rush to get a table. As pubs in the area go i didn't think it was the best. The roasts looked good and there was a lovely pint of bitter, the name I've forgotten. 6/10.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

sandbanks wrote:^^^^agreed. The Tank Bar/Howling Hops have better beer and quicker service. I get the feeling from The Crate that we're not that welcome. I also like the fact I can watch people from The Crate eating their pizzas through the bog windows in the Tank Bar whilst I'm having a wazz.

No access to either The Crate or the Tank Bar after the Watford game due to people chucking themselves in the canal after the game before.

Them loos are bleedin boiling though.
sandbanks

Post by sandbanks »

^^^^^
Wasn't any of the players by any chance was it?

If you're stuck for post-game beers go to the Truman brewery on Fish Island. I know they charged £10 for membership but you can get in for a fiver as a guest. You get given a token for a beer which costs £4. So 9 visits and your quids in over those who took out membership. It's where the Ribman hangs out these days too.
:thup:
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Sitting in the public bar of the Phoenix Inn, York. A small, traditional 18th century pub just inside the city walls. No jukebox, TV or pool table; does have a bar billiards table, mind. Dog friendly. Hosts live Jazz several evenings a week; it's a Jazz jam tonight. Popular neighbourhood pub.

Five real ales, Timothy Taylor's Landlord plus four ever-changing guests. Tried Abbeydale 'Not Just Jam', a (deliberately) hazy 4.1% pale ale flavoured with lemon and earl gray; not quite to my taste but could be refreshing on a hot summer's day after trekking around the adjacent city walls. Moved onto Bosun's Brewing Co 'Mocha Stout', 4.3% smooth stout beer with a light coffee favour that may not be to everyone's taste. Finished with Revolution's Brewery 'High Land, Hard Rain', a 4.5% dark ale. Revolutions Brewery have a music theme to their beers and the older ones among you might recognise the beer as being named for the 1983 Aztec Camera album. All cask beers around £3.40-3.50.

9/10 for this pub as I forgot to sample their pork pies. I'll be back for that.

P.S. Did I mention the risqué pictures in the gents?
Last edited by York Ham(mer) on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.