KUMB Photography Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

TheWHU
Total likes: 1 like

Re: KUMB Amateur Photography Thread 2019

Post by TheWHU »

Boycey wrote:****ed through your images from the Facebook link, cracking stuff!
Samba wrote: Dirty devil..
:lol: didn’t even notice that!
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Ok, let's see how this turns out, never done this before. Taken on my commute home, only a bog standard phone so let's see.

Sunset plus rainfall combo

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Ok, that was better than expected. This was in my back garden, same phone, no photoshop or filter, I promise!

Now that's a sunset....

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Nice pics Bendy :thup:

Regarding filters, adjusting etc - it's not a bad thing, enhancing photo's. Filters and enhancing has been happening since the advent of photography, and it will continue to do so, so you shouldn't be hung up in doing so.

Your phone or camera when shooting in jpeg enhances the picture for you anyway, which is why I prefer to edit using my CR2 (RAW) shots, as it allows me to really bring out the colours in the pictures. JPEG has already processed the image for you, and playing with those doesn't always do the justice, where as RAW, is sort of like undeveloped film, and it's up to the photographer to develop/process the picture.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

peter49uk wrote:For those looking for camera recommendations may I suggest Sony DSCH400B.CEH Digital Compact Bridge Camera

Purchased the camera (£250 ish) for the wife and there her photos it has a 63x zoom built in.

Wow , the moon photo is VERY impressive , Pete UK - I was totally unaware that a camera such as that was capable of that type of photo .

My next piece of kit [ if I ever have the money ] is going to be a Nikon D750 or D810 , maybe a D850 [ but probably not ] along with some full frame lenses - however , for that price the Sony is certainly worthy of consideration . :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Some cheaper cameras are good VFM. A few pages back, I posted some pictures taken in Wales.

They were taken on a Fuji-film Finepix S4000, and some where even taken on a Kodak 7MP jobby.

I still have the S4000. Well kind of, I've handed it down to my 7 year old who has started to take an interest. It has most of the functionality of a DSLR, but is fixed lens.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

DL can I ask your advice please.

I am loving all the pictures, yours particularly. I have never had a decent camera and would love to buy one of the ones you suggested back a few pages.

My question is about what you said in another post about taking the shot and then in it's raw state making the necessary editing etc..

If I buy a camera and take some shots is it easy to do the editing or would I need advanced PC skills.

Bare in mind how long it took you lot to teach me how to post a picture on here :D
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Eamonn - in DL's absence , I'm sure he wouldn't mind me answering .

I have Adobe Elements 12 - the little brother of the full Adobe Photoshop and I have Adobe Lightroom 6 .

I found that Lightroom 6 [ and 5 ] very intuitive - I can supply you with free tutorials on youtube , the best tutor I found - it took me a long time to get into photoshop but in all truth I hardly ever use it , Lightroom is all you need to edit your photo - it just over 100 quid on Amazon - I bought the dvd version so I had to buy an external dvd [ usb ] as my laptop doesn't have a dvd option . You literally plug it in and follow the intructions and inser the registration numbers that come with the dvd .

There are other ways of obtaining Lightroom but buying it is the legal way . :)

There are free photo editing software available on the net such as GIMP but they're more like Elements - Lightroom is so much better in my view .

Apologies for answering the question aimed at DL - he uses a different type of software so his answer may be different . :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Ageing -

You'd need a half decent PC - one with an Intel i5 processor, and a dedicated graphics card with around 3-4 GB dedicated memory.

I avoid the Adobe products, because I wouldn't use most of the functions. I actually don't do much to my pictures at all - I rarely crop, and all I do is enhance the wishy-washy look of the original RAW picture. The JPG that also gets saves is generally ok, but working with the RAW image really brings out the colours - and you can adjust things like the exposure too.

To do this, I use a software called Aurora HDR 2018/19. It's made by a company called Skylum. You cant save any adjustments on the RAW image, so you can fiddle about as much as you like - when you're happy with it, you can save a copy in JPG.

Hope this helps and you're brain isn't too pickled.

To give an example with the exposure adjustment - the black and white picture is from an original, where it was well over exposed in the original RAW, but thankfully the sensor had caught everything in the picture, it just needed bringing out. By the time I had played in colour, it was a little bit grainy, so I made it black and white instead, and the denoise feature didn't make the B&W version look quite as hazy as the colour.

Before:

After:

V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

V-M :thup:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Many thanks DL and also Tomos :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Some cracking shots there, V-M
V-M

Post by V-M »

Cheers guys, they're all about 10 years old. Used a Nikon D80 which I still have, should really blow the dust off it and do some more.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

County Lane near Leeds, Kent.

djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

My first visit was only 2 years ago (I have been at least 4 times now) but from my experience and backed up by some photos in this thread... parts of Wales are absolutely stunning!
V-M

Post by V-M »

Cracking shot DL.

Just a tip for all, if you are using Google Chrome, right click on the images and select 'open image in a new tab'. You'll see it in a lot better detail.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

You're just showing off now!

:wink: :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

V-M wrote:Just a tip for all, if you are using Google Chrome, right click on the images and select 'open image in a new tab'. You'll see it in a lot better detail.
:thup: Great tip, V-M.
Also, then left click on the new picture & it gets even bigger!