Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by Gormalysis »

Good to see we are getting on with it now, where's Gina Miller hiding
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Gormalysis wrote:Good to see we are getting on with it now, where's Gina Miller hiding
Don't worry , she will be making plans with her legal team, if Theresa May signs in the wrong coloured pen, or fails to use block capitals, then she will act to save us all.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

Am I correct in believing that she isn't actually British but Bermuda or a nationality along those lines?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Dan1326 wrote:Am I correct in believing that she isn't actually British but Bermuda or a nationality along those lines?
Born in Guyana, and lived in the UK since the age of 10
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

She was born in British Guyana i.e. when it was a British colony.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

RichieRiv wrote:Buggered? What you basing that on?

Not jumping on today's sickening news.

I'm just glad brexit happened when it did and I hope it's not too late to stop the open door policy.

Another wake up call and I hope it's a turning point to safeguard Me my children and future generations that love this country.

My reasoning prior to this on becoming the 51st state is at the moment.,they are not messing about with this crisis in the west.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

[
RichieRiv wrote:Buggered? What you basing that on?

I'm just glad brexit happened when it did and I hope it's not too late to stop the open door policy.

Another wake up call and I hope it's a turning point to safeguard Me my children and future generations that love this country.

My reasoning prior to this on becoming the 51st state is at the moment.,they are not messing about with this crisis in the west.[/quote]

I think we should wait to hear the nationality of the perpetrator before we start speculating if stopping certain ethnic groups from living and working in the UK makes us any safer and less prone to terrorist attacks.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:Not jumping on today's sickening news.

My reasoning prior to this on becoming the 51st state is at the moment.,they are not messing about with this crisis in the west.
Londoners night after night for 9 months suffered at the hands the Luftwaffe. It killed approximately 40,000 people. Did it break their will? Did it b*llocks.

These c**** are amateurs.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Heseltine worried that the Germans will now dominate Europe even more than they already do after Brexit. His reference to the Nazis was a bit far, but he does have a point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39380606
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

We should stay in because we are effectively still at war for Europe is an interesting perspective to say the least. Wonder how many remain voters see it that way, not many I would guess.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

sendô wrote:Heseltine worried that the Germans will now dominate Europe even more than they already do after Brexit. His reference to the Nazis was a bit far, but he does have a point.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39380606
To imply that the UK is a bridge between the US and EU is to imply that the US don't trust the EU.
How will the UK leaving change that?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 112 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Hesteltine is a loon and he's lost the argument with his comments today.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:We should stay in because we are effectively still at war for Europe is an interesting perspective to say the least. Wonder how many remain voters see it that way, not many I would guess.
I agree with his analysis on Germany having the opportunity to dominate Europe, but I take the opposite view as to the best way to deal with it .

He clearly believes stay in and win the argument , I believe get out and watch the Euro collapse , followed by the EU .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

So Germany doesn't boss Europe already ??

Everyone in Germany that i met thinks they do already.....they also seem to be able to ignore any laws bought in that they don't agree with.

Lets be honest here...we had absolutely no influence and all we got out of the EU in reals terms was the free market.

It wasn't worth what we paid financially or politically.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 346 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

The the pros and cons for Britain notwithstanding, the EU will, as a whole, be poorer and weaker for our leaving. The political, cultural,military and economic centre of gravity of the EU has shifted a long way Eastwards.
WARNING: unsourced, undocumented OPINION follows, based only on observations during my nearly 50 years on this planet.
A weaker EU is a bad thing for everybody in Western Europe in my opinion. Brexit has encouraged other nationalist movements, who are supporting each other with the tacit support of Putin. He is or will be a major power broker in the brave new world on our doorstep. This does not make me feel very optimistic.... My consolation is that I am now too old to be called up to serve in the armed forces of either the UK or my future adoptive country should my pessimism turn out to be right.

I have a bad feeling about this.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Francoisvander or else wrote:[

As someone has chosen to link the terrorist attack and Brexit I think it should be pointed out that the terrorist was born and bred in the UK.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

But were the people that radicalised him? Or the people that aided him?

Life is not binary.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

RichieRiv wrote:But were the people that radicalised him? Or the people that aided him?

Life is not binary.
Maybe. But if so it's likely they originated from a country outside the EU.
I accept that immigration is something we have to control but whether or not we are in the EU we have control as to whether to allows non EU immigrants. Half of immigrants are from outside the EU so the government could have reduced this without the need for Brexit.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Toulouse_Iron wrote:The the pros and cons for Britain notwithstanding, the EU will, as a whole, be poorer and weaker for our leaving. The political, cultural,military and economic centre of gravity of the EU has shifted a long way Eastwards.
WARNING: unsourced, undocumented OPINION follows, based only on observations during my nearly 50 years on this planet.
A weaker EU is a bad thing for everybody in Western Europe in my opinion. Brexit has encouraged other nationalist movements, who are supporting each other with the tacit support of Putin. He is or will be a major power broker in the brave new world on our doorstep. This does not make me feel very optimistic.... My consolation is that I am now too old to be called up to serve in the armed forces of either the UK or my future adoptive country should my pessimism turn out to be right.

I have a bad feeling about this.
That's much the way that I view it all Toulouse and my main reasoning for believing we'd have been better off staying in for the long term. It is of course an extreme view that Brexit = long term domination by Russia and maybe war, but nonetheless the splintering and fragmenting of Europe with Putin, Erdogan, Syria etc on the periphery and Trump in the white house surely cannot be good for western Europe.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

War with Russia is highly unlikely. There's too much to lose financially. Also i don't believe Putin is that mad. In fact when you listen to interviews with him (plenty on YouTube) he's no less unreasonable than other leaders.

One advantage of globalisation is that too many people will lose money in the event of war. I'll caveat that by saying war in Western Europe and not some dust bowl out east.