Brexit referendum result aftermath

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Re: Brexit referendum result aftermath

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:With all due respect, I get the impression you're someone who is well insulated from any economic impact on the general population.

There are millions that won't be as lucky.
Nobody seemed to mind about impacts on millions of the decisions of this tranche of politicians. Or for that matter the people who lost their jobs and companies that went bust when we joined.

The idea of a trading bloc is a good one (although even that was skewed pretty quickly) but the whole thing has been a con from the off. Within a year of joining that was clear and desire to leave was huge, we had the first round of 'if we stay in we can reform it' and away we went. The same line has been trotted out from Maastricht, through Paris and Lisbon and Camerons negotiations, now its a key part of lets vote again. But it doesn't reform or adjust to flaws it just expands ignoring democratic accountability when it suits in order to do so.

Recent expansion was a disaster adding a slew of basket case economies before fixing the ones we already had. We were told to expect a few thousand new migrants, as I nobody had considered push/pull effects at all. The people telling us thus now want us to take their word on the future once again because this time the EU can be made to reform - honestly.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Can't believe people still support the EU regardless of Brexit, it is basically Sepp Blatter and FIFA all over again
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Makes Sepp and FIFA look like amateurs ... the EU accounts could not identify where 1 trillion of EU money had been spent .... that's 1,000,000,000,000 Euros .... staggering

https://www.epsu.org/article/1-trillion ... money-gone
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Has it still not been found?
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

If there is no majority in parliament for May’s Deal (and May can’t negotiate a better one), for No Deal, or for a further referendum, how do we resolve Brexit?
SammyLeeWasOffside

brownout wrote:If there is no majority in parliament for May’s Deal (and May can’t negotiate a better one), for No Deal, or for a further referendum, how do we resolve Brexit?
The argue until the 28th for their own personal agendas and we drop out on the 29th
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Brownout, for me we just walk away and stand firm, it will be a terrible time to start with due to uncertainty and the pain will be huge, but I do believe and I stand by it Europe need us as much we need them, deals will be sorted, and fairly quickly if we just go "f*** it".

This should have been our stance 2 years ago, we lost the upper hand, but I do believe it is not too late to turn it on its head. Would take an incredibly strong person/group to do it, but I think Brexit can still work for us if we stand strong, and that means standing strong when the country goes into turmoil, or at least the media/certain politicians telling us we are in turmoil, but for sure, there will be pain in the start.

The problem with this is that there is too much self-interest & self-promotion going on...
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

richneal wrote:Like I said, the people who will suffer the worst effects of Brexit will be working families and low-income earners. Sad state of affairs.
mickfbrown wrote:Good grief the hysteria on here is unbelievable, why do you worry about your family re Brexit?
The UK existed before the EU and it will exist long after the failed project of the EU.
The people of Europe are fed up being dictated to by a load of unelected politicians who's goal is to have a united states of europe.
Thanks Mick.
1. Not sure that any mention of the negative consequences of leaving the EU is hysteria. But fair enough, you be the judge.

2. Post-EU the UK is likely to experience an entrenched recession combined with significant job losses - potentially stagflation. The people who will be most affected by this will be those least able to withstand it. Will be slow-hitting and long-lasting, so yes, I am worried about all of you lot over there. It's not going to be fun. What you will likely see is that measurable Quality of Life indicators will erode over a 5-10 year period. Everything from life expectancy to infant mortality to child poverty rates. Those things matter, wishful thinking or otherwise.

3. The EU dictates little to the people of the UK. If you want to point fingers, you may wish to direct your attention to Westminster. Westminster remains the place where the vast majority of the challenges facing your families are created and entrenched. Been that way for donkeys.

4. At the risk of sounding like a broken record let's head back to my central point:

The UK remains an international laughing stock regarding all things Brexit. It really is sad, cos we're laughing at the 'logic' of Brexit the same way we all laugh at the arguments of the Donald Trump - or the ex-Iraqi Minister of Information, Comical Ali. What we see is an implausible yet literally incredible sleight of hand, where your political leaders blame the EU for problems that are mostly created by your own government policy. This is really interesting, because for a variety of reasons apparently nearly 52% of voters fell for it.
SammyLeeWasOffside

richneal wrote:for a variety of reasons apparently nearly 52% of voters fell for it.
What on earth makes you think that? Its perfectly possible to know our politicians are liars and cheats and still think the EU is a flawed thing. Your argument that we haven't worked out we were lied to by politicians while we were voting to get rid of politicians might need a bit more thought about what happened.

The argument that parliament is to blame is just as convenient for the EU to make when it suits them, if you are wholly correct then it follows the EU isn't needed as a political entity. However its a combination of both things, policy made here, even if not a direct rule from the EU, has to comply with EU law. So to say the EU has no impact on things here is like saying the constitution plays no role in specific state legislation.

Not sure where you are getting this long term recession from, not even the most ardent remain forecast has this happening.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

the pink palermo wrote:GCRO, I too have no issue with the EEC as a trading bloc. It's what we as a country voted to join in the 70s.

The political union has killed it for me.

This is all very simple. The people "negotiating" on their behalf are the very people the political union is being created for and driven by, they will never want us to leave their club.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Out, completely, on any WTO terms are available.

And @ BIgGEorge, I don't care what your academic mate says, I wish to be clear: there is no pain I am unwilling to endure to ensure we are out,out of the EU.

Out,out.

out on interest how old are you
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: out on interest how old are you
What does that have to do with anything?
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

richneal wrote:
3. The EU dictates little to the people of the UK. If you want to point fingers, you may wish to direct your attention to Westminster. Westminster remains the place where the vast majority of the challenges facing your families are created and entrenched. Been that way for donkeys.

4. At the risk of sounding like a broken record let's head back to my central point:

The UK remains an international laughing stock regarding all things Brexit.
A bit of ideological thinkery here, but:
We can't hold Parliament properly to account when they have the convenient scapegoat of the EU to deflect blame onto. So let's attack this situation one level at a time, there's little point point changing governments while their overlords are still in power so let's get rid of them first.
Once the EU has been removed from the equation all responsibility and any resulting fault or blame is down to the elected government, because of this and the resulting loss of the EU retirement plan (Kinnock etc) our current slime don't seem too fond of leaving.

If we're being seen as an international laughing stock then in what light are the EU being seen in?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

BBC News saying No.10 has 'ruled out' giving Parliament votes on different Brexit options (Norway, Canada, no deal etc.). It also reaffirmed there will be no second (actually third) referendum.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:BBC News saying No.10 has 'ruled out' giving Parliament votes on different Brexit options (Norway, Canada, no deal etc.). It also reaffirmed there will be no second (actually third) referendum.
JBB, what do you mean third?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The 2017 GE was not another referendum on Brexit, and people are deluding themselves if they think it was.

Regardless, having another in/out vote now would be counter productive and would undermine what little credibility politicians still have.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Not disagreeing with you Sendo, just wondered what this talk of there already being a second vote is about. :thup:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:JBB, what do you mean third?
1975 and 2016 were the first two referendums on membership of the EEC / EU
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
1975 and 2016 were the first two referendums on membership of the EEC / EU
Cheers,, just taken a quick look at the results for 1975, quite interesting seeing how close it is this time around.
Yes - 17,378,581 (67.23%), No - 8,470,073 (32.77%)
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

When you didn't think things could get any worse:
David Cameron 'advising Theresa May on options' if deal rejected

The same guy who got us into this mess - I'm not suggesting the result of leaving the EU is a mess before anybody jumps on that - even if I believe it is - but more how the country has become so divided because it was such a simple question but a complex answer which was never as simple as Yes or No. The same guy who the day after the referendum packed his bags and said you need to sort it out now, is advising the government on what to do next...
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:BBC News saying No.10 has 'ruled out' giving Parliament votes on different Brexit options (Norway, Canada, no deal etc.). It also reaffirmed there will be no second (actually third) referendum.
May seems to be replying on dragging things out so that faced with no option other than No Deal MPs will grudgingly vote for her deal.