Everton 1 West Ham Utd 1 (22/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 434 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Green - 8. Good game with a couple of vital saves, and solid handling on crosses. How Robinson is ahead of him for England I don't know :eh:

Neill - 7. Good cross for the goal, but I thought his decision making was better today: judged when to hold back and when to steam forward well today. A couple of awful passes to give the ball away, though.

Tomkins - 6. Showed good character after the mistake for the opener, and seems to have the speed and stature to make it :thup:

Ferdinand - 7. Aside from the odd dodgy clearance on his weak side he did well, esp in marking Lescott on set pieces.

McCartney - 6. Did well enough against Arteta, and must have been hampered by having LBM in front of him for 50 mins.

Ljungberg - 7. Got up and down well today, which was important with Osman and Baines bombing down that side.

Parker - 6. Got stuck in, but still looks a bit rusty to me.

Mullins - 6. Did his defensive work pretty well, but his distribution is too ponderous by far at this level.

Noble - 6. Didn't shine until he went out on the left, which might a position in which he can thrive.

LBM - 4. Played like it was a testimonial for a player he never really liked anyway :thdn: Get thee to the stiffs!

Ashton - 8. Worked hard, fantastic headed goal, and unsettled the defenders, and linked well with Sears when he came on.

Sears - 7. So very near to another goal. I think Curbs told him not to chase back, but to save his energy for attacking. Showed some good skill and determination around the box.

Solano - 6. Not much time to show his skills, but covered the ground and had a couple of good touches.

Spector - 6. Came on to make sure we didn't concede a late goal, so job done.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Thought that was a great performance. Ashton( **** in the air and cant jump) very close to back to his best IMO.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Dear Dean

This humble pie might taste better if you could spare a slice of pepperoni pizza to go with it...

I only saw the highlights, but, even from them, it was clear that you're working your way back to your best.

A great headed goal and a headache for Jagielka and colleagues all day.

Best wishes :thup:

IAL
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I am law wrote:Dear Dean

This humble pie might taste better if you could spare a slice of pepperoni pizza to go with it...

I only saw the highlights, but, even from them, it was clear that you're working your way back to your best.

A great headed goal and a headache for Jagielka and colleagues all day.

Best wishes :thup:

IAL
:thup: One of the first to admit it. Well done... :lol:
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

I watched the match live on Setanta. Playing away from home against a top 5 side with two new 18yr olds in the team I thought we made them look ****. Second-half we were all over them, and definitely deserved Sears hit- the- post- job to go in. I was very disappointed with the highlights on MOTD when the pundits failed to give us credit for the performance. It's going to be tough at The Stadium of Light and a real baptism of fire for the youngsters, but I don't think Sunderland will get much out of us. A vast improvement. :thup:
I am law

Post by I am law »

FK, in truth, I've not actually been viciously critical of Ashton in the earlier months of the season. I have wondered about his fitness and his application, but he's answered this in the last couple of games.

One thing I have however questioned before has been his heading. So, as I say, a slice of h-pie is in order.

With both Sears and Bellamy straining at the leash come August, we've all obviously got to hope that the club offer to Ashton either an extension of his present contract, or an improved deal, come May.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

I am law wrote:FK, in truth, I've not actually been viciously critical of Ashton in the earlier months of the season. I have wondered about his fitness and his application, but he's answered this in the last couple of games.

One thing I have however questioned before has been his heading. So, as I say, a slice of h-pie is in order.

With both Sears and Bellamy straining at the leash come August, we've all obviously got to hope that the club offer to Ashton either an extension of his present contract, or an improved deal, come May.
I know yeah, it's just funny noticing the lack of people who were criticising Ashton here now, that's all.

I'd completely agree with the latter part of you comment though, if he remains fit we have a serious asset on our hands. At 24 he still has his best years ahead of him and imagine what a fit Bellamy could do alongside him? With Sears as potential back-up the future looks bright. As you said though I hope we offer him an extension. Some may consider it a bit premature to offer him one based on his previous injury record but I dearly hope we hang on to him.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ashton actually looked like a player he has never been. Very mobile, football fit (though that has been obvious since Anfield) can jump and able to play the lone striker role in a 4-5-1.

When he missed the chance in the first half I must admit that he reminded of Carlton Cole....good all round play, excellent effort, golden opportunity missed. Put it right in the 2nd half though.Well done.Quality finish again.

Nice jump for the goal...nice jump and flick on for sears chance. Proves that he doesn't need it into feet.....we can play long (lump it up to him).....4-5-1 can work without him needing a player alongside him etc etc.. It just took him getting in the right condition rather than the midfield being shocking etc etc and that Curbs was right about his physique being wrong etc etc.

But lets spread the kudos.

Neill has been slaughtered recently yet whose passing / crossing started the moves for our last two goals?

Also, the West Ham medical team. Ashton now looks better than he ever has at the club. Looks better than when he signed...better than under Pardew.....credit where credit is due.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Nice jump for the goal...nice jump and flick on for sears chance. Proves that he doesn't need it into feet.....we can play long.....4-5-1 can work without him needing a player alongside him etc etc.. It just took him getting in the right condition rather than the midfield being shocking etc etc and that Curbs was right about his physique being wrong etc etc..
I still think Ashton is not suited to 4-5-1 to be honest, he's much better alongside someone in my opinion.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Fionn Kiely wrote: I still think Ashton is not suited to 4-5-1 to be honest, he's much better alongside someone in my opinion.
I would agree that 4-4-2 is preferable....but he played the role very capably yesterday. Very please for him tbh.

I've been one of those saying he hasn't delivered but he is really starting to now.

If he keeps this up it'll prove that the patience and faith some have had in him has been rewarded.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I still think Ashton is not suited to 4-5-1 to be honest, he's much better alongside someone in my opinion.
I agree. I have always thought that he would play better with a mobile partner up front, like Sears or Bellamy or... dare I say it, Tevez. We lost Ashton for the whole of last season due to SWP. What a partnership he could have had with Tevez. :(
irish_hammer_87

Post by irish_hammer_87 »

Just wondering how many goals a half fit Deano has got this season? Looking sharper with every game

Just checked he has 8 7 in league and 1 in the cup. Top goal scorer as well says alot!
Butler

Post by Butler »

Whose the bloke with the big west ham tattoo on his belly?

Looked good! I've been thinking about getting a smaller version on my arm but not sure!

Any pics floating about and do you know where he got it done???
eddieB

Post by eddieB »

Firstly all credit to the players for their performance yesterday.
one or two greivances though firstly the everton goal - three against one and no one got anything on the ball. ferdinand can't head the ball.
Second - Luis "i don't know where i'm going" boa morte get your act together cause we looked a lot of a better team when he came off.
Third - don't feel parker and noble can both play in central midfield as too similar. too many cooks and all that
Fourth - Lucas "colourblind" Neill on far too many occasions this year has given the ball away far too much although had some sparks of good play.
Know for the praise.
Firstly - Freddie "I make ashton play better" sears well unlucky son should of had at least one. as soon as he came on ashton got more involved and had a brighter spark about him. also caused phil jagielka a multitude of problems with his pace.
Second - Noble on the left looked a lot more adventurous more attacking and was one of his best performances i've seen for a long time should of had a goal aswell.
Third - Tomkins dealt with the physical presence of both Agebenji "the nigerian ashton" Yakubu and Victor anichebe and looked like the settled first choice defender whilst anton looked like the 18 year old don't know what i'm doing star struck defender.
Fourth - The fans My throat is dead having trouble talking and my ears are yet to stop ringing.

:thup: :crest: :thup:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

irish_hammer_87 wrote:Just wondering how many goals a half fit Deano has got this season? Looking sharper with every game

Just checked he has 8 7 in league and 1 in the cup. Top goal scorer as well says alot!
**** me, 87 is better than Ronaldo! :lol:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

eddieB wrote:Firstly all credit to the players for their performance yesterday.
one or two greivances though firstly the everton goal - three against one and no one got anything on the ball. ferdinand can't head the ball.
Second - Luis "i don't know where i'm going" boa morte get your act together cause we looked a lot of a better team when he came off.
Third - don't feel parker and noble can both play in central midfield as too similar. too many cooks and all that
Fourth - Lucas "colourblind" Neill on far too many occasions this year has given the ball away far too much although had some sparks of good play.
Know for the praise.
Firstly - Freddie "I make ashton play better" sears well unlucky son should of had at least one. as soon as he came on ashton got more involved and had a brighter spark about him. also caused phil jagielka a multitude of problems with his pace.
Second - Noble on the left looked a lot more adventurous more attacking and was one of his best performances i've seen for a long time should of had a goal aswell.
Third - Tomkins dealt with the physical presence of both Agebenji "the nigerian ashton" Yakubu and Victor anichebe and looked like the settled first choice defender whilst anton looked like the 18 year old don't know what i'm doing star struck defender.
Fourth - The fans My throat is dead having trouble talking and my ears are yet to stop ringing.
Thanks for that Eddie "I must write something here for every player I mention" B :wink:
eddieB

Post by eddieB »

My Pleasure Dod "didn't realise Eddie 'I must write something here for every player I mention'B left some playrs out"Ger but if you want i will add a bit to all the players if you would like.

:crest:
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Great performance and to be honest I think if we had come away with three points no one would of complained. After the negativity that came from the three 4-0 games the future is once again looking bright with two very good results, Ashton back to his best and Sears and Tomkins coming through the ranks. We can take so many positives from this game.

I thought Ashton was fantastic upfront and is starting to get back to his best. When Sears came on they linked up really well and I'm hoping Curbs goes to 4-4-2 from the start on Saturday (we look much better when we go with two upfront) with Ashton and Sears upfront. Sears was bloody unlucky not to score the winner and he caused the Everton defence all sorts of problems when he came on. Then you've got Tomkins who after the mistake for Yakubu's goal just grew in confidence and had a really solid game at the back.

I know some people might not agree with me but I really think Ljungberg has turned out to be a good signing for us. He is giving it 100% every game now and had another good game on Saturday. I also feel that it's time to go with Noble and Parker in the middle as I just think they are better passers of the ball than Mullins.

Boa Morte was awful again and to be honest I really hope we ship him out at the end of the season. I'm also hoping that Curbs now realises that we look much better when we play 4-4-2.

On a more general point, are we starting to see the real Curbs West Ham now? The past two games we've looked good going forward and played some really good football. I really think Sears and Tomkins coming through over the past two games and making their debuts has given the whole club a lift.
mrchewy

Post by mrchewy »

Walking out the ground an Everton lad said to me me - "I'd be gutted if I was an hammer to go home without three points, your kids looked good too"

Thats a good enuff review for me

What happened to that black Iron who was ranting about racism at the back of the lower block? See his kid crying later but no him...
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

it's was a great atmosphere at goodison i shouted so much i can't talk. read on an everton forum that they hardly heard the hammers. what a joke we sung our hearts out.