Everton 1 West Ham Utd 1 (22/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WHUTerry

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Post by WHUTerry »

Great performance, especially after going a goal down so early on. Delighted with the character shown by Tomkins to pick himself up after Yakubu's goal. Especially pleased with Ashton, Parker, Noble and Sears. Considering the importance of today for Everton, felt overall we did very well and were unlucky not to win it in the end.
yabush

Post by yabush »

'ouston 'ammer wrote: :lol:
:? :? did i make any English mistakes?
I am not a native speaker
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Noble nearly scored goal of the season. 4-5-1 we wern't too sure what we were doing. We went 4-4-2 and were a much better team for it. Unlucky Sears and Tomkins, this is all learning practice for next season. Very proud of the performance. Everton didn't deserve to win and they knew it. I love how average Ashton made Jagielka look for the goal. It was a lovely cross from Neill, stuck it right on the defender's head for Ashton to jump above. People who want him dropped need to reconsider I think.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Up the Junction wrote: I think you would be hard pressed to make a case that he's been worth the five mill we shelled out ... but I do think he's been unfairly treated at times (the booing at The Boleyn recently for example, which was a disgrace).

Having said that I also agree with your final sentence and would like to think Curbishley would be big enough to admit he made a balls-up when the summer transfer window opens.
He doesn't deserve to get boo'd but then again nor does any player who makes an effort. The truth is that we need players like LBM for the physical games. I had a lot of hope for the lad but now I really think we need to offload, whether or not he was a mistake it was part of Curbs master plan that kept us up and it worked. Clearly though, it wont take us to the next level.

Life goes on, and hopefully, upwards.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

no mate.. i mean it as in GROW he's about 5' nothing... you meant strength wise i just mean get taller. 9won't happen of course now at his age, the growing is done)...

you english is much better than my chinese !!

:oops:
yabush

Post by yabush »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:no mate.. i mean it as in GROW he's about 5' nothing... you meant strength wise i just mean get taller. 9won't happen of course now at his age, the growing is done)...

thanks for the teaching :lol:
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Very happy with that result, well done lads! :raver:

:crest:
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

I thought 3 players were poor, but no need to **** on the cake, as my Auntie Lena used to say.

I have the vague feeling that Etherington will play well with Sears.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

HollzTheHammer wrote:
btw is is it just me or is our game not showing up on football first? im trying to sky + it and our games not there...
No mate, it's the Setanta game today - won't be on sky at all, just MOTD. hopefully first :lol:
westhamben

Post by westhamben »

HollzTheHammer wrote: btw is is it just me or is our game not showing up on football first? im trying to sky + it and our games not there...
they never show the setanta covered game on FF, you'll have to wait for MOTD

i watched it on setanta there coverage is poor, they keep on getting the names wrong
HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

f*cking setanta..

heres the motd line up,

Newcastle v Fulham,Aston Villa v Sunderland, Blackburn v Wigan, Reading v Birmingham, Everton v West Ham, Tottenham v Portsmouth, Bolton v Man City, and Middlesbrough v Derby.

hope we get more than 30 seconds, you just know that their going to go on about everton and 4th spot, with a quick mention of us at the end..
V-M

Post by V-M »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:no mate.. i mean it as in GROW he's about 5' nothing... you meant strength wise i just mean get taller. 9won't happen of course now at his age, the growing is done)...

Ok Im not being racist but....why do I get a picture of 'Ouston with squinty eyes? :lol:
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

Great performance we were very unlucky and deserved to win. Im not a huge fan of Curbishley but he got it right after half time today all of his substitutions were spot on. We looked so much better playing 4-4-2 we were very fluid and played good football.Really we looked miles better playing 4-4-2 and have done for the past few weeks.

Green : Made some important saves dealt very well with crosses also had a fantastic game. 9

Neill : Had his best game of the season by far great cross for the goal. 9

Tomkins : Solid debut whilst he was at fault for the goal he showed lots of character bouncing back and did very well i thought. Also whilst he struggled at times with Yakubu there is no shame in that considering he gave both Upson and Gabbidon a torrid time earlier in the season. 7

Ferdinand : Looked a bit shaky in the first half but did well in the second half i thought he played quite well. 7

McCartney : He was solid as always i think his crossing lets him down on occasion but defensively he is very sound. 7

Ljungburg : He tried hard things didn't quite go his way faded a bit in the second half. 6

Noble : I thought he played quite poorly until we went 4-4-2 and actually played quite well predominantly on the left wing nearly scored the goal of the season. 7

Parker : Worked hard got stuck in put his body on the line a good performance. 7

Mullins : Typical Mullins he was solid did all the simple things well. 7

Boa Morte : Wasn't really involved he wasn't as awful as he has been in the past few weeks also made no reckless challenges. 5

Ashton : Superb really looked hungry in the second half took his goal well linked very well with Sears when he came on arguably should of scored in the first half but was unlucky with the free kick competed in the air and since the Fulham game has looked quite sharp and slim and more confident. 9

Sears : Looks an excellent prospect has good pace and quick feet. Also helped make the goal by dragging Lescott about 10 metres out of position. He makes intelligent runs and always wants the ball he lookslike he is a very intelligent footballer. Was unlucky not to score a couple of times too and completely terrorized there defence. 8

Solano : Was good on the ball and linked up well when he came on but he always does. 7

Spector : not a huge fan of Spector but he did a good job shielding the defence and put in a could of good blocks. 7

Curbishley : I think he got the wrong starting line up with Boa Morte in there and playing 4-5-1. He realised his mistake went for it by making a substitution before the 65th minute. He showed some bravery today and took a few risks after half time and the team improved alot from the first half and should of won the game. Im very happy he gave Tomkins a debut and Sears was superb again i thought. Like i said im not a huge fan but i was very happy with how he went about things after half time today. 9

I think from now until the end of the season we should play 4-4-2 Ashton seems far better in this system and i think because of our injuries we really lack the pace to play 4-5-1 also none of our midfielders score enough goals too play this system. I think 4-4-2 plays more to our strengths especially with Sears and Ashton upfront.
Last edited by anjado on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufcspoon

Post by whufcspoon »

Great result. didn'y see the game so dont know how we played but 1pt at goodersonis a great result!
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

How come Tomkins and Ashton didn't get a rating... :lol:
HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

when the hell is etherington back btw?

green
neill ferdinand upson mccartney
faubert/freddie parker noble ethers
ashton sears

would love to see that line up by the end of the season...

imagine a team with faubert, dyer, bellamy and sears....
Bulldog Hammer

Post by Bulldog Hammer »

A good result today from the boys worked hard . :crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

vmixture wrote:
Ok Im not being racist but....why do I get a picture of 'Ouston with squinty eyes? :lol:
cause i'm either ****ing or straining for a *****..

:P
V-M

Post by V-M »

'ouston 'ammer wrote: cause i'm either ****ing or straining for a *****..

:P
TMI mate...now you've put me orf my dinner :thdn: :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

actually mate it's because i am getting old (well i AM old) and my eyesight is going...

:cry: :cry: