Everton 1 West Ham Utd 1 (22/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Post by smuts »

I am law wrote:FK, in truth, I've not actually been viciously critical of Ashton in the earlier months of the season. I have wondered about his fitness and his application, but he's answered this in the last couple of games.
One thing I have however questioned before has been his heading. So, as I say, a slice of h-pie is in order.
I'm in the same boat. A few months ago he looked over weight, lethargic and disinterested. Now he is looking like he has shifted some weight, keen and eager and is actually able to jump for headers rather than just staying on the deck and endlessly nudging the defender and conceding a free kick.

Perhaps it was just a fitness/confidence thing but I did wonder whether his ankle was f*cked full time or that he wanted out and couldn't be arsed.

However, on the basis of his last few appearances, I am tucking into my humble pie with great relish!

Now, where's that other slice that I have been scoffing since Ljungberg proved to me that he was actually a hard working, willing midfielder happy to track back and make himself available rather than a finished Gooner reject here for his last pay day and signed by Eggy to sell posters!

I wonder if I will be baking one in a few months for LBM....... :think:
I am law

Post by I am law »

smuts wrote:
I wonder if I will be baking one in a few months for LBM....... :think:
Negative - the Portuguese recipe of humble pie has dead snake as its main ingredient.

Thanks, but I'll pass. :D
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

I am law wrote:FK, in truth, I've not actually been viciously critical of Ashton in the earlier months of the season. I have wondered about his fitness and his application, but he's answered this in the last couple of games.

One thing I have however questioned before has been his heading. So, as I say, a slice of h-pie is in order.
His heading has always been excellent, he has just not been able to get to the ball first until recently - that's what his new fitness has achieved.

The header on Saturday was fantastic, you won't see a better headed goal all season. The angle and speed (lack of it) of the cross (good cross though it was) meant he had to generate both direction and pace from a ball coming in from behind. It was at least 20 times as good as any 20 yard shot but you can still guarantee it won't win goal of the month because it's a header.