Everton 1 West Ham Utd 1 (22/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

jjwred7 wrote:I used to see the reason a little more...but lately his engine just doesnt seem to be there anymore. Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome. He did okay today but was the natural choice to be replaced when we went two up (with young master Frederick) in the second half. Unfortunately some of our posters have the blinkers on when it comes to LBM :wink:
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

All in all, top work at one of our real traditional bogey grounds.

Sears is going to be ****-hot.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Coley wrote:
Good call actually :thup:
Also have to agree with that. The ref had a blinder.
kenthammer
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 403 likes

Post by kenthammer »

I would have taken a point beforehand but after watching the 2nd half performance feel a little disapointed with only one
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

vmixture wrote:I think I said that in an earlier post.
Apols for the unintended plagiarism VM ... agree with your points, another very positive run-out following last week - and three of our own in the side. It doesn't get much better than that :wink:
The Green Man
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

yabush wrote:great second half,

probably the best match of Neill in the season,
a great assist and no mistakes made - Definately. Most solid player at the back today.

Deano scored a nice goal, his passing was so much better than the previous games. His partnership with Sears is good. - They could be a brilliant pairing, they work well with each other too, considering they have barely played together in comparison to some of the other strikers.
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Just got back from the living room where the game was on television.

I thought we played better as a unit today than we have in a long time. Even with a new central defender we kept our shape fairly well. Lucas and McCartney played well and both pushed forward well. I thought that Ljundberg looked as if he was ready to threaten all day but just pulled back a bit. He was making quality passes and was solid. Mullins, Parker and Noble were class. Green superb as always.

If today was any indication, the time for 4-5-1 is over. Ashton is back and he needs a partner to spread the defense. Whether that be Sears, Cole, or Zamora I don't think it matters...he has to have space and playing by himself up front gives the defense too much of an opportunity to close him down. Sears doesn't look well-scouted, which is somewhat surprising given his recent run in the reserves. In the future, a Sears-Bellamy partnership late in a close game could be a difference maker.

I don't want to talk much about LBM, as there wasn't much to talk about.
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

Really enjoyed that performance in the second half, good character from the team once again. Green, Noble and Ashton played really well. Sears definately has something about him as well. Thought Curbs got the subs spot on today as well. Onwards and upwards.
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

Sears should start against Sunderland, he will rip McShane and the like apart.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Fionn Kiely wrote:I'll stick by my prediction from a week ago when I said we'd beat Blackburn and get a draw at Everton.
Ah the satisfaction of being right.... :lol:
V-M

Post by V-M »

Up the Junction wrote: You're welcome. He did okay today but was the natural choice to be replaced when we went two up (with young master Frederick) in the second half. Unfortunately some of our posters have the blinkers on when it comes to LBM :wink:
I'm starting to disagree... I used to think LBM was suited to certain games but I feel he lets the side down far too often. I wouldn't be sad if we offloaded him this summer. Its a shame becasue I have seen him work his nuts off but hasn't produced anything recently, maybe its the CC thing, tries hard but isn't good enough?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

excellent work from the mid field. neill back to playing where he did last year. my commentary is saying that ferdinand has to lead tomkins. well mate as much as i know he is a "seasoned veteran" he's only 22 and still learning himself.

thought the work from the midfield players were the difference here. thought though they could have left freddie on he wasn't looking tired but parker was. freddie on the left, noble looked like a fish out of water over there, and nobby on the right.

what a fairy tale that finish would have been. thought i saw it going in.......

although the commentary team were saying that sears wouldn't quite be the surprise he was last week, they will have watched the tape, i don't know that they DID know how to deal with him.

good part/bad part about young players is that lack experience but they have no fear.

i think we could get collison a bit of time in now, another couple of appearances for tomkins and definitely sears, but let's not expect toooooo much. we're safe, let's see if they can provide good enough cover not to rush out and buy a shed load of bench players when these kids could benefit from subs appearances. especially next year, they go to SEVEN subs correct ??

tony carr must be glowing inside. thought last week was good, sears AND tomkins this week, even better.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

I want to pay a big compliment to Tomkins..........He could have completely gone to pieces after the first goal but he recovered extremely well and looked pretty comfortable. Obviously he got caught on the wrong side and out of position a couple of times but he showed great strength of character to come through the game as he did.

Delighted with that performance and it shows there is so much to work with for next season :crest:
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by polar »

I think we cam take heart from the way we played in the second half. We pretty much bossed that half. We more than matched Everton who are a team who had Champions League aspirations.

It really does look like we are getting the old Deano back. His header was brilliant, it was at best half a chance.

Well done to Curbs for bringing Sears on five minutes into the second half for the ineffectual LBM and not with 20 minutes left.
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

I am Lawro wrote:Sears should start against Sunderland, he will rip McShane and the like apart.
I disagree - there is a world of difference between running at a tired defence for 15 or so minutes and starting a game. He is looking very sharp, but would benefit from a gentle introduction, and time to build up his strength and fitness.
V-M

Post by V-M »

I am Lawro wrote:Sears should start against Sunderland, he will rip McShane and the like apart.
Sears and Ashton up front? I really think this could be the beginning of something very special. We just need a creative midfielder behind them and we will be as good as anyone in that third of the pitch.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Brilliant second half from us. I think Ashton looks sharper and took his goal very well. Boa was quiet today, and bringing Sears on was the right decision. He missed two blinders but it's due to his lack of experience, thought to be fair he was simply unlucky with the second. Tomkins was denied a debut goal, and recovered well after a poor start. Decent performance and a point. Good day.
ponder

Post by ponder »

I thought 1st half we didn't look that interested. Retained the ball without really threatening (bar Ashton's sitter), and were very lucky Everton had a perfectly good goal disallowed. 2nd half we were a different side. With Sears on the pitch, Ashton had someone to run off him, Noble was surprisingly competent on the left (he offered far more than the 'naturally' left-sided Boa Morte anyway), and we were unlucky not to nab the winner. How Sears' effort didn't go in I don't know. Noble's 30 yarder would've been a goal of the season contender - very unlucky.

On the flipside, Green made a couple of sharp saves, not necessarily spectacular, but very important. He also plucked cross after cross out of the air. As soon as we kept Yakubu quiet, they didn't offer so much threat from open play, mainly from set-pieces.

Overall, a decent afternoon's work, and a worthy point. Can't help feeling 'what if?' though.

Ashton, Green and Noble were the stand-out players for me. Though it was the introduction of Sears that changed the game.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

'ouston 'ammer wrote:
tony carr must be glowing inside. thought last week was good, sears AND tomkins this week, even better.
I wonder who it's gonna be next week....
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

I totally agree. The lad has earned his starting spot