Everton 1 West Ham Utd 1 (22/03/08)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby hawkins_hammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:20 pm

Also today's game proved how over-rated Everton are.
User avatar
hawkins_hammer
 
Posts: 12663
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: missing Zola and Behrami

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Tel The Hammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Today really showed that 4-4-2 is the way forward...

We were ****ing pony playing 4-5-1. But as soon as we changed to 4-4-2 we looked a totally different side.

Please take note Mr Alan Cubishley. :think:

Good result bearing in mind the 1st half. :crest:
User avatar
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes
 
Posts: 10337
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: A Crazy Man's Utopia

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:29 pm

hawkins_hammer wrote:Also today's game proved how over-rated Everton are.


actually mate i don't thnk they are.

they are a VERY difficult team to beat. not brilliant on the attacking end, BUT not conceding goals is about 2 weeks ago what we were prattling on about on here.

"curbishley has made us a difficult team to beat" was our motto. i think that moyes has done a great job from where they were to where they are now.

people complain on here about the way we have been playing. well moyes has been doing exactly the same thing but with cahill and arteta.

he has played 4-5-1 all year it seems and with an excellent goal scorer and some shrewd buys cahil (1.5 mill :shock:) lescott fairly cheap by todays standards, yakubu @ 12 million a better buy than bent ? phil neville (who i am not a great fan of 4 mill i think) howard another 4 mill (iirc) jagelka 4 mill, yobo is an excellent centre half for not much money....

they look to me where we could be in 4-5 years. moyes has been there SIX ~ i heard that today and was shocked. i thought about 3 or 4.

anyay i don't think they are over rated at all. a good competitive side assembled for less than manure paid for rooney (remember that he left them and they were thought to be in the toilet) and getting better each year.

osman is a good young player. they won't ever attract the players that liverpool can remember they struggled to stay afloat they were in so much debt.

no, mate, i think they are an option to the "big four" another sore subject. it was nice to see howard kendall in the stands today. what a player HE was........
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby THORNE_X on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:31 pm

Tel The Hammer wrote:Today really showed that 4-4-2 is the way forward...

We were f*cking pony playing 4-5-1. But as soon as we changed to 4-4-2 we looked a totally different side.

Please take note Mr Alan Cubishley. :think:

Good result bearing in mind the 1st half. :crest:


the only time 4-5-1 will work succesfully is with real pace from midfield getting foward. there are times when this kind of tactic will work brilliant as seen earlier in the season
User avatar
THORNE_X
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: NR canterbury

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby hawkins_hammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:33 pm

'ouston 'ammer wrote:...



Agreed but what i was getting at was that they are over-rated in the sense that on paper they aint great but are well managed and therefore play well as a team, and are therefore higher up the table than you would think with their squad because they are hard to beat and do not lose many. The fact Neville gets in their team says it all really.
User avatar
hawkins_hammer
 
Posts: 12663
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: missing Zola and Behrami

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby dapablo on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Feels just like a victory, thoroughly enjoyable display when turned to the 4-4-2. Maybe play the 4-5-1 for the first half to secure domination of the midfield then play the additional striker for the last 20-30 !
User avatar
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:12 am

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:37 pm

phil neville got more caps than geoff hurst.

says it all really...

Headbanger
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby claret parrot on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Isn't it great to be disappointed with just the one point at Goodison, if that makes any kind of sense?

Really though the result is unimportant. What is extremely important is that Tomkins has joined Sears and Collison in showing that not only are they not out of place at this level, but they are very likely to excel at premiership level.

It's just like we've made three quality signings only ... (a) we didn't have to pay £5m a piece for them. (b) We won't be paying them a king's ransom for a few years yet, and (c) they aren't here to eek out the last couple of years of their long careers. The only downside if you can call it that, is we don't want to be starting them every week at their tender ages but then again we don't need to.

Full marks to Curbs for having the balls to give them their chance :thup:
User avatar
claret parrot
 
Posts: 4194
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby vmixture on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:48 pm

claret parrot wrote:Isn't it great to be disappointed with just the one point at Goodison, if that makes any kind of sense?

Really though the result is unimportant. What is extremely important is that Tomkins has joined Sears and Collison in showing that not only are they not out of place at this level, but they are very likely to excel at premiership level.

It's just like we've made three quality signings only ... (a) we didn't have to pay £5m a piece for them. (b) We won't be paying them a king's ransom for a few years yet, and (c) they aren't here to eek out the last couple of years of their long careers. The only downside if you can call it that, is we don't want to be starting them every week at their tender ages but then again we don't need to.

Full marks to Curbs for having the balls to give them their chance :thup:


:clap:
User avatar
vmixture
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:45 pm
Location: Peterborough

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Up the Junction on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Tel The Hammer wrote:We were f*cking pony playing 4-5-1.

Cobblers, Tel.

We had the greater possession, hit the bar, missed a sitter from six yards, forced a great reflex save from their keeper and nullified one of the best midfields in the country for 45 minutes AWAY FROM HOME.

The reason we looked livelier up front in the last half hour was because they began to push forward for a winner leaving acres of space all over the park.
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 40776
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby davids cross on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Tel The Hammer wrote:We were f*cking pony playing 4-5-1.

Cobblers, Tel.

We had the greater possession, hit the bar, missed a sitter from six yards, forced a great reflex save from their keeper and nullified one of the best midfields in the country for 45 minutes AWAY FROM HOME.

The reason we looked livelier up front in the last half hour was because they began to push forward for a winner leaving acres of space all over the park.


I totally agree with that............starting with 451 actually contributed to the win imo.......If we had started 442 we could have been 3 down by half time....who knows. Switching to 442 later on in the game nearly always pays benifits as teams are beginning to tire anyway, something that isn't happening in the first half.
User avatar
davids cross
 
Posts: 22073
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 pm
Location: On the sofa watching sport.

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby hawkins_hammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Tel The Hammer wrote:We were f*cking pony playing 4-5-1.

Cobblers, Tel.

We had the greater possession, hit the bar, missed a sitter from six yards, forced a great reflex save from their keeper and nullified one of the best midfields in the country for 45 minutes AWAY FROM HOME.

The reason we looked livelier up front in the last half hour was because they began to push forward for a winner leaving acres of space all over the park.



You say they pushed on for the winner but it was still us who dominated posession. A good all-round performance.
User avatar
hawkins_hammer
 
Posts: 12663
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 5:21 pm
Location: missing Zola and Behrami

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby vmixture on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Tel The Hammer wrote:We were f*cking pony playing 4-5-1.

Cobblers, Tel.

We had the greater possession, hit the bar, missed a sitter from six yards, forced a great reflex save from their keeper and nullified one of the best midfields in the country for 45 minutes AWAY FROM HOME.

The reason we looked livelier up front in the last half hour was because they began to push forward for a winner leaving acres of space all over the park.


So you dont think we started to boss the game when we went 4-4-2?
User avatar
vmixture
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:45 pm
Location: Peterborough

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Aberdeen Hammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Well at least we got a point. I had a bad feeling about this game before the match.

Ouston Hammer - I'm going to be in Houston for three weeks at the start of april if you want to meet up and talk about the hammers over a beer.
User avatar
Aberdeen Hammer
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:05 pm

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:58 pm

i make you right utj (not that you needed to wait for my confirmation though :wink: ).

we looked better in a 4-4-2 because we had a little better balance because noble was more effective than lbm ~ and as you commented on the spaces at the back were more than well exploited by the pace and misplaced thought that jagelka et al underestimated mr sears pace and ability. i do think though that ashton is better suited in a 4-4-2 with someone to play off of, but to be fair cole looked just as out of depth when he first played that system.

it is not an easy system to play, and definitely tougher to play when you have less than a full compliment of players to implement it.

anyone remember the emirates when ljunberg went off early " a ****ing nightmare."
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Aberdeen Hammer wrote:Well at least we got a point. I had a bad feeling about this game before the match.

Ouston Hammer - I'm going to be in Houston for three weeks at the start of april if you want to meet up and talk about the hammers over a beer.


yes mate well up for it.

i live in the southwest part. sugar land. highway 59 south. have lots of scottish mates. well i know that's a cross i have to bear.

shoot me a p.m. or send me an e mail.

i work evening teaching kids to play football. and almost all week ends but i can definitely make time for a fellow 'ammer.

threelions@iqmail.net is my e mail. can't figure how to change it on the KUMB profile page.

:oops:
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22995
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby scanlen on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:02 pm

4-5-1 is not the problem - it's the players we have available. Ljungberg and Boa Morte on either flank are not good enough forwards to suport Ashton. 4-4-2 looked good because only Noble was out of position and he did quite well anyway on the left flank. I was pleased to see the performances of Sears and Tomkins although the mistake that Tomkins made to let Yakubu in for their goal was a real shame. Yakubu does that to much more experienced centre backs so I wouldn't worry about it and neither did Tomkins. Ironic though that our two youngsters should both hit the woodwork and I thought we were unlucky to only draw. Magnificent header from Ashton for the goal though wasn't it? And Anton's performance was quite commanding in support of Tomkins so doubly pleased.
scanlen
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 am
Location: Marden Kent

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby ponder on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:05 pm

That's the promising thing with Tomkins, that despite his mistake, he still put in a perfomance that was better than plenty more experienced Premier League centre backs. Definately one for the future.
ponder
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:08 am
Location: Essex

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby FloridaHammer on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Bringing in Sears and going to a 4-4-2 made a huge difference. We were unlucky not to take all 3 points. I hope Curbs finally junks the 4-5-1 now and gives Freddie a run.
User avatar
FloridaHammer
 
Posts: 17499
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:07 pm
Location: Sunny St Petersburg, FLA

Re: West Ham vs Everton match thread

Postby hhammerhead on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:12 pm

I totally agree with that............starting with 451 actually contributed to the win imo.......If we had started 442 we could have been 3 down by half time....who knows. Switching to 442 later on in the game nearly always pays benifits as teams are beginning to tire anyway, something that isn't happening in the first half.[/quote]

The bash on the nose cause this or you been on the sherry ? :)

Second half proved we have the players available now to go 442 effectively, so no excuse not to start attacking teams for the rest of the season , as nothing to lose and much more enjoyable to watch
User avatar
hhammerhead
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: Chicken Run or left back.... in the dressing room

PreviousNext

Return to KUMB Match Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest