Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 1 (29/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by davids cross »

giblet wrote: To be shown up by those in-breds.
Making fools of us.
In breds who are fighting for their very lives, surely we above all know what that can inspire.........Anybody who thought it was gonna be an easy 3 points simply from looking at their league position was deluded. Well done to them, we will move on.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Ok I was too knackered after I got back yesterday to post my thoughts but here goes.
Curbs has to stop blaming bad luck for the injury situation. I'm sure luck has had a lot to do with it, but clearly there is a problem with the way they train if injuries are this common for over a year. Something must be changed.
As for the performance, we were outsung and outfought. We dominated the first 20 minutes but after that, they beat us to every 50-50 and simply wanted it more. Too many poor performances, especially in a dire second half.

Ratings:
Green-7 Thought he did very well actually. Was very solid considering how slippery it was out there and made some impressive catches.
McCartney-6 Did ok, and probably the best of our defenders. Occasionally over-run.
Ferdinand-6 Not terrible as he won more headers than usual, but doesn't look the same player without Upson alongside him.
Spector-5 Poor.
Neill-4 Awful. Again.
Noble-5 Nowhere near his best game, but sticking him out on the left hardly helps matters.
Parker-6 Worked hard in midfield and one of our better players. Still made a few mistakes though.
Mullins-5 Just not in the game really. Sunderland midfield were more up for it.
Ljungberg-8 Easily our best player. Worked hard throughout, some good movement and a deserved goal.
Ashton-6 Great first half, b*llocks second half.
C.Cole-6 Didn't think he did much wrong when on and not sure he deserved to get subbed.

SUBS
Solano-6 Reasonable cameo. Should have started to give us width.
Paintsil-6 Enthusiastic and did ok, but not much time to impress.
Tomkins-6 Won some headers, but again, not much time to impress.

Overall, disappointing. We deserved to lose but it was cruel the manner in which we lost. Was a miserable day for me personally both on and off the field so definitely one to put in the past ASAP...
giblet
Has liked: 1 like

Post by giblet »

davids cross wrote:In breds who are fighting for their very lives...
:) You missed my little joke!

As for Sunderland, wasn't surprised at all to loose.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Missed opportunity, AGAIN, would be 3 points off 7th if we had won.
Romford
Big X

Re: how many tickets sold for sunderland game ??

Post by Romford »

West Ham Dave wrote: Sorry mate well out, we have returned about 50 out of 2800 odd (not sure if they will be on sale up there), but I know of 3 knocking about if anyone needs.
Miles out wasn't I :lol:

Great show...

Sorry i didn't get to meet up...bit mad
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

giblet wrote: :) You missed my little joke!

As for Sunderland, wasn't surprised at all to loose.
Could you make your jokes very clear :lol:
Longneck'd Iron

Re: how many tickets sold for sunderland game ??

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

quote="West Ham Dave"]
Romford wrote:At a guess I'd say 1500-1800
Sorry mate well out, we have returned about 50 out of 2800 odd (not sure if they will be on sale up there), but I know of 3 knocking about if anyone needs.[/quote]

Miles out wasn't I :lol:

Great show...

Sorry i didn't get to meet up...bit mad[/quote]

20 were left @ 4-30 on Friday, then I bought 6, a guy behind me then bought 2
randle

Post by randle »

First 25 minutes you took the piss out of us but after that we came back into it and just about deserved it in the end. Was a canny game I thought.

Had a few pints before and after with some of the lads off here. Sound, to a man.

See you again next season, hopefully.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

randle wrote:First 25 minutes you took the piss out of us but after that we came back into it and just about deserved it in the end. Was a canny game I thought.

Had a few pints before and after with some of the lads off here. Sound, to a man.

The relief on the Sunderland fans faces as they came out at the end, reminded me of this time last year, only for us then.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

randle wrote:First 25 minutes you took the piss out of us but after that we came back into it and just about deserved it in the end. Was a canny game I thought.

Cheers for the drink fella... :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

What happened on the Direct Grand Central Train after the game ?....a load of us were on the slow train to Hartlepool 20 mins after and we were stuck for donkeys after and the train announced that it was due to fighting on the Kings Cross Express :shock:
randle

Post by randle »

Romford wrote:What happened on the Direct Grand Central Train after the game ?....a load of us were on the slow train to Hartlepool 20 mins after and we were stuck for donkeys after and the train announced that it was due to fighting on the Kings Cross Express :shock:
Not heard or seen anything about it on our boards mate.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Can't believe Spector is getting criticised. He was the best player on the pitch for either side, as far as I'm concerned. Three games started at CB this season, my man of the match each time. Upson-Spector would be my preferred first-choice partnership now (until (if ever) Gabbs gets back). If Tomkins had come in and played like Spector has in those three games, I honestly think we'd be going mental about him. Specs is a genuine talent at CB. I don't know what else he has to do before people take him seriously.

Come on Joey! It's me and you against the world, mate. :lol:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Got back to "sunny" Guildford today and the whole time up there was pretty good. Feel very tired and a little bit of a dickey stomach but all in all in good spirits. I thought our support in the lower section could have been beter but that could be down to a number of things, one being the stewards/hired goons in the blue jackets. No one paid them much attention in the second half. On the pitch we were there for the taking the whole second half and a more clinical side would have tucked away another four past us.

Saturday night out in Newcastle. Not much to report :wink:
MackemLad

Post by MackemLad »

Romford wrote:What happened on the Direct Grand Central Train after the game ?....a load of us were on the slow train to Hartlepool 20 mins after and we were stuck for donkeys after and the train announced that it was due to fighting on the Kings Cross Express :shock:
http://readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php ... nd+central" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Location: west hartlepool Re: Trouble on Grand Central train to Kings X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 sunderland supporters got set upon by a carriage full of cockney twats so the sunderland lads got stuck in to them especiall the alf garnett and micky pearce luck alikes 1 lad got a very small black eye you could hardly notice it the coppers got on the train and after talking to both party's they took the sunderland lads of so they didn't knack the cockney again i know this as fact as i was 1 off the sunderland supporters
hartlepool massive 1 icf 0

You've got to laugh haven't you....carriage full of West Ham getting beaten up by 4 Sunderland Fans from Hartlepool who were being bullied. The Plod then had to take the "Hartlepool Massive" to save any other WHU fans getting beaten up :eh:

Whats the betting this chump was one of the Kids who were playing up as we left the ground and someone recognised him on the train ??

As for Hartlepool Massive...we went for a drink in the Lloyds Bar by the Station when we got off and there was only West Ham fans to be seen. Never met a man in Hartlepool who has wanted to have a row over football yet...only ever had good times.

This plum is just giving the good place a bad name :thdn:
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

got back about 7,3hours from Newcastle to Kings x then 3hours + from Kings x to Kent due to "engineering works" :evil:
Great weekend recommend it to anyone,the Mackems and Geordies both extremely friendly and never ever felt unsafe at any time[15 yr old son a bit dubious b4 but now up 4 next season],cant wait for the dates next season as would love to do it again and the Geordie game at Sid James Park.
Shame about the result but got what we deserved after 90 mins[or 96mins]
West Ham Dave
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by West Ham Dave »

[quote="Romford
You've got to laugh haven't you....carriage full of West Ham getting beaten up by 4 Sunderland Fans from Hartlepool who were being bullied. The Plod then had to take the "Hartlepool Massive" to save any other WHU fans getting beaten up :eh: [/quote]

Before continuing I want to plead the 5th Amendment:

As one of the 6 WH fans in the carriage where it happened, as against the 12 or so Mackems, but only 4 of them were involved in the incident, also they weren’t “kids” mid 30’s I’d say.

We got on to get a "lot" of abuse from this 4, who we then discovered were sitting in four of our seats, on approaching them the verbal got a lot worse, then "personal" to which "AG" as they refer had had enough, so he approached them and invited the main instigator (the guy with a bottle of Magnum's) to step outside, the guy went all quiet then threw out a "slap" which caught AG on the side of the head, this prompted the Mackem having his nose improved and the contents of the Magnum’s poured over him (childish but at times like this rational thinking is for from reality), I also hasten to add he was not hit with the bottle, while this was happening the Mackem opposite him stood up and was promptly sat back on his a*se, to which they all left the carriage at a fast rate of knots, end of.

Old Bill arrive, spoke to us, one of the Mackem's in the carriage who was not involved also spoke to them re what had happened, "abuse we got etc", to which Old Bill left thanking us for our “co-operation”

Funniest bit was as the train moved off, the "wet" one started to make "w*nker" signs for which one of the Old Bill promptly gave him a slap on the back of his head.

1 0 to them is definitely not true, maybe we should all have been put off the train, but as we all know, some offside goals are given some ain’t, and this time :raver:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Must of been bad to get you going mate :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

kenthammer wrote:got back about 7,3hours from Newcastle to Kings x then 3hours + from Kings x to Kent due to "engineering works" :evil:
Great weekend recommend it to anyone,the Mackems and Geordies both extremely friendly and never ever felt unsafe at any time[15 yr old son a bit dubious b4 but now up 4 next season],cant wait for the dates next season as would love to do it again and the Geordie game at Sid James Park.
Shame about the result but got what we deserved after 90 mins[or 96mins]
Good to meet you fella