Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 1 (29/03/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Runner

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Chicken Runner »

goggles wrote:I just think it a shame we didn't push on and try and win that game second half, we settled for a draw way before we went down to ten men. That is one thing i really hate about Curbishley being our manager, im not saying i want him out it just let's be a little bit more attacking and aggressive. If we would have won that game we had a chance of catching teams higher up the table, seems like we are now destined to finish tenth. :wink:
Yeah with 11 injuries, Spector and Panstil at the back playing against a packed crowd and a team fighting for their life we should have gone 433. Some people on here know NOTHING about football.
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

cockney hammer wrote: said we should have sigined defoe..
Its hard to believe (after the Bent fiasco) that we didnt have the funds, its hard to believe that Defoe was ignored by Jol and Ramos i.e. that he was even available -chance of a lifetime-, its hard to believe that he wouldnt have opted for a London club over Portsmouths hobbled history and support, its hard to believe that our player buying decission makers didnt know Defoe's ability.

Its hard to take.

Our defence was make-shift especially when the winner went in. Some of that, maybe all of it can be blamed on lady luck.

Curbishley has been unlucky in how events have unfolded.
FACT

I am an advocate for many opinions that IMHO demonstrate Curbishley has not acted positivley, not focused enough on how to create goals here, or ever.

Leaving that opinion aside - looking just at the bad luck that he has indeed had

Napoleon always wanted to know if his Generals were lucky
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

i agree with cambiasso, IIronss you shouldn't comment on players you dont know nothing about to be honest.

Its clear he is already a great prospect and i would love to see him here, he would give the crowd the same sensation tevez did which will improve the atmosphere in games
webby the iron
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by webby the iron »

That term knee-jerk was coined by Sir Michael Foster in his textbook of physiology in 1877: "Striking the tendon below the patella gives rise to a sudden extension of the leg, known as the knee-jerk".

I can't get over the fact that some of us seem to relish it when we lose or play badly. Completely mystifying...
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

i couldnt really give much of a toss about this result as we aint got nothing to play for anyway
goggles

Post by goggles »

I guess one positive today for West Ham is our Youth Team is doing well, i think now we should look to next season and give lots of the youth team ago, just for experience. In my opinion this will do them wonders for future, looks like we have an exciting crop of players coming through :thup:
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

TrickyDicky wrote:i agree with cambiasso, IIronss you shouldn't comment on players you dont know nothing about to be honest.

Its clear he is already a great prospect and i would love to see him here, he would give the crowd the same sensation tevez did which will improve the atmosphere in games
He is a great prospect, we are not in the situation where we can pay £20m for a great prospect.

And if you want to improve the atmosphere, just start Pantsil. 8-)
Cornwall_Hammer

Post by Cornwall_Hammer »

TrickyDicky wrote:i couldnt really give much of a toss about this result as we aint got nothing to play for anyway
Very loyal
FDiMcA
teh
Location: Locked in a cellar, not sure where but I can smell hotdogs

Post by FDiMcA »

webby the iron wrote: I can't get over the fact that some of us seem to relish it when we lose or play badly. Completely mystifying...
I agree. I would like nothing more than for Cutrbishley to prove me wrong. Today is terible, bad for Freddy bad for entertainment in the remaining games, and bad experience for Tomkins being involved in a make-shift defence under a battering, its not experience he gained today, its confussion.

I wish we had won today, especially with Citeh slipping up.

I do feel justified in discussing what went wrong, and in suggesting today repeated patterns in our play that are so predictable they must be problems that need fixing.

I dont think you are against discussion of what went wrong. I do agree with you that celebrating that things went wrong is mistifying
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Dicky - without meaning to be rude, although I probably am, do you just spew the first thing that comes into your head onto this forum? That's how it appears a lot of the time.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

what a gutless performance. so is lawro a genius now?
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

Cornwall_Hammer wrote: Very loyal
whats un loyal about it?
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

We got what we deserved today,We were absolutely killing them until we scored then after that it was all Sunderland. Our defence wasn't the greatest, But i can't blame them since there were so many changes during the game, Ferdinand marked Jones well from set pieces and has improved alot since the spurs game in this aspect. Everyone else did ok in defence and Green did very well with crosses and corners taking a couple of nice catches.

Our midfield was dreadful we couldn't keep the ball at all after we scored and this is what cost us the game, I would like to see Collison on the bench over Pantsil from now until the end of the season. Parker wanted too long on the ball and Mullins was very anonymous. Noble was quite poor though i feel him and Parker should get a game together in the centre of midfield. We couldn't keep the ball after we scored and in the second half i think we only had something like 36% possesion which is incredibly poor against any team let alone Sunderland.

Ashton and Cole both did ok, Though there was a worry Cole would get sent off today Curbishley was right to take him off, Both were pretty unlucky not to score in the first half we didn't keep the ball well enough in the second half to threaten at all.

Also Ljungberg and McCartney both picked up knocks today. Really we definitely need a new medical staff in the summer it's really getting ridiculous now. Where is Zamora ? He has blisters how long is he going to be out for his feet must be near incinerated to be out for 3 weeks with blisters, Really they must be the worst blisters in the history of the universe. Gabbidon has fallen off the face of the earth when will he be back ?

Some injures can be down to luck like Pantsil today was bad luck even Dyer's it's fair to argue was bad luck. But we have so many injuries it's just ridiculous these have to stop and if they don't stop most of them are some kind of strain or pull. These aren't all luck they can't be something is clearly wrong with our players preperation or medical advice and has been all season.
TrickyDicky

Post by TrickyDicky »

EvilC wrote:Dicky - without meaning to be rude, although I probably am, do you just spew the first thing that comes into your head onto this forum? That's how it appears a lot of the time.
yes i do
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Hmm my post disappeared.
Anyway as i was saying. I am sad we lost but we aren't fighting relegation and IMO 10th place is a good position to be in loads better than last season.

Its great we are playing Youth team players.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

TrickyDicky wrote: whats un loyal about it?
The wanting to lose bit.
webby the iron
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by webby the iron »

It's not that I'm a massive Curbishley fan- he's still in credit with me for keeping us up last year though! However, as a West Ham fan I hate it when we lose. My dad used to tell me about staunch Celtic fans he knew who wouldn't count any goals McCoist (as a Rangers player) scored for the jocks. In fact they'd consider the game to have been lost if he was the lone scorer. It seems as though we have a similar mentality in some quarters- some like nothing more than for us to lose or play poorly so that they can slag all and sundry off .

Discussion is good. Inane, poorly worded, unintelligent and provocative statements are just unhelpful.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

Dannyboylister wrote:Noble played sh*t because he was playing on the left. I'm not too unhappy about the result, as soon as I saw Cole and Ashton up top i didn't expect anything anyway.
To be honest, knowing Sunderland are not in the relegation zone having not won away all season pointed to this game being a bogey for us.

We're mid-table, little to play for. Maybe a few extra thousand in the pockets of players in squad bonuses. Sunderland however are fighting for survival. £60m in the clubs pocket next season, and also means players will be retaining their wage with no salary drop from relegation, and also remaining in the eye of international managers.

Birmingham took points off Man City, Bolton nearly had Arsenal, and Reading fought for their life with 10 men.

At this stage of the season, especially with 7 or so teams involved in a relegation battle, you'd have to be a brave man to have a bet, because results over the next 5-6 weeks are going to be all over the place. The adrenaline junky within tells me it's a shame we're not involved. The blood pressure disagrees though.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

IIIronss wrote: The wanting to lose bit.
Don't think thats what hes saying. No one, (apart from those who bet against us ;) ) would want to lose.
I think what hes saying is that we aren't really playing for anything ie to stay up.
Whereas Sunderland were
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

We still need to win these games, as we get more money the higher we finish, so come on lads as many wins as possible. by the way these injuries are now getting close to unaccepable surely. if not when is enough enough. Headbanger