West Ham Utd 0 Portsmouth 1 (08/04/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: West Ham Utd v Portsmouth: match thread

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

RichieRiv wrote: Tanked - I've seen him a lot worse than that trust me.

He had a total of 4 complaints against, him thanks to the grassing part time c*nts that sit in that stand. We were however very disappointed that it was only 4 - we were hoping it would reach double figures.
I used to think those people were called " Characthers ", seems like they are known as Criminals instead these days.. :thdn:
Oh Danny G is wonderful!

Post by Oh Danny G is wonderful! »

Up the Junction wrote: Neither did Nobby Solano. And David Beckham's never beaten a full back in his life. Like I said, take a look at a replay of the game and you'll find you're wrong. Solano is guilty of all these charges - yet you condemn one but not the other.
I am not basing my opinion of Boa Morte on last nights performance, i still think he was poor last night and I agree with you that Solano didnt do much either. My opinions were more of a summary of what he has done since he joined West Ham and in summary he hasnt done much at all. I am not blaming him as a scape goat and I dont agree with anyone booing him as he went off last night a) he wasnt our worst player b) it isnt going to help him play any better next time. I think overall Solano has been a much better signing than LBM, he was a lot cheaper for a start and his delivery and goal scoring record are better than LBM. The main thing that lets Nobby down is his fitness as he very rarely finishes a game.
X-Hammer-X

Post by X-Hammer-X »

To all of those caning Boa Morte for last night's performance ... get a copy of the game on video and see how much ground he covered during the match. I doubt there was a player who worked harder last night; I suggest that's why he was in the team.

I didn't see the likes of Nobby Solano and Bobby Zamora chasing back 60 yards time after time to win the ball/put in a challenge. Matthew Etherington never has. As for Reid being a better prospect? Hmm.

Bad darts indeed, fellow Hammers.[/quote]

Well Boa Morte is obviously in the wrong sport, to play in the premiership you need to be able to play football not just run about. maybe he should try athletics
J-W

Post by J-W »

Decent first half I thought, but how the f*ck did Bobby miss that chance, I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made of it. James was the 2nd best keeper on show yesterday, Green looked solid all game. Wish we had their right back, Johnson looks a real quality player these days, potential was always there. Parker played well, but only has one skill, turn, turn, turn again, turn, give the ball. Boa Morte shouldn't be in the team on this form, but looking at our bench, who instead? Expected more from Solano, who I think was pretty poor in possession. Ashton done alright I think, and Sears looked sharp when we come on, James done well not to bring him down I think. Dunno about those subs, Cole on the left wing and Boa Morte through the middle? First time I heard that Campbell chant, which me laugh, "He's going home, he's going home, he's going, Campbell's going home". :lol:

Bolton away next. And I think 3 points for us. :o
WHJ
Location: BMU - Soaking up the Boleyn atmosphere before we lose it forever>

Post by WHJ »

I thought we did ok in the first half but whatever Curbs is saying to them at half-time isn't working. Just like at Sunderland we were a different (much poorer) team in the second half. I thought Neil had another below average game, Spector panics although he did paly a few good one-twos out of trouble, Ashton is improving as he's getting fitter, Bobby Z gave 100% and yes he missed a sitter too. Still haven't decided about Parker, sometimes he looks very good, other times he puts so much effort into his sixpenny turns with little or no effect. I was very dissappointed with the amount of times we had possession in their half only for the ball to end up back with Green :eh: And how many times did we just pass the ball to Portsmouth players. LBM had one of his best games for us in the first half but still no end product. A poor game overall and in the end I thought "what am I bothering for?"
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

I am henceforth no longer supporting West Ham United until Curbishley is removed. Worst. Manager. Ever. :x

Carlton Cole on the left wing? Spector over Tomkins? Boa Morte over Stanislas? Ashton over Cole? Mullins over Collison? Sears not on at half time?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on!
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Scrambled Egg wrote:I am henceforth no longer supporting West Ham United until Curbishley is removed. Worst. Manager. Ever. :x

Carlton Cole on the left wing? Spector over Tomkins? Boa Morte over Stanislas? Ashton over Cole? Mullins over Collison? Sears not on at half time?

Worst. Post. Ever.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

hang on you'd have Ashton over Cole?

are you taking the piss mate?

I agree it werent one of his good matches but he had several shots and the fact that he kept having to drop to collect because the midfield were so ****.
when Cole came on he did what exactly except one bad fial ball in the box and argue with LBM in injury time about just who fancied taking a corner! :evil:

He gives us nothing.
scanlen

Post by scanlen »

I watched the hour long replay on Sky last night and just to show my endurance skills watched a repeat this afternoon. I thought both the teams looked worn out - Portsmouth with some justification having played at the weekend. However, we should be pushing for Europe according to Curbs and I think it is clear to all that the players don't agree with his aims. I can't believe how poor Lucas Neill is as he really used to impress me when I saw him at Blackburn and in World Cups for Australia. Is he really a right back? He's too slow to be a Prem right back now surely? And Bobby Zamora. Well I think it is time he moved on. Tottenham decided he wasn't Prem material years ago and he's not improved with age and experience has he? I know it was the first game back since his 'blisters' injury after a previous injury that kept him out most of the season but honestly, why keep Sears out of the team for him? He couldn't trap a bag of cement let alone find the back of the net with an open goal!

I read loads of comments defending Hadyn Mullins' right to be in the team for the work he does but he just is not a Premiership player unless he is doing a defensive job in a midfield 5. In a midfield 4 he is just occupying space and linking play - poorly! So is Boa Morte who had a not too bad game yesterday but that was all he did - linked play and promised much but delivered little. He's scored 1 goal since joining us and his attempts to scored ratio must be horrendous! Sure they both work hard but so did I years ago when I played in a senior amateur team way above my ability level.

Anyway I'm rambling now but overall I am just so disappointed that Curbs couldn't motivate the team to a higher level of performance after stating several times that it was our aim to get higher up the table. The signs are that we are headed down a peg or two unless some fingers are extracted soon...
humppis

Post by humppis »

Scrambled Egg wrote:I am henceforth no longer supporting West Ham United until Curbishley is removed. Worst. Manager. Ever. :x

..From St*mford brigde, to Upton Park, Stick your blue flag up your a**.. :crest:
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

And Bobby Zamora. Well I think it is time he moved on. T*tenham decided he wasn't Prem material years ago and he's not improved with age and experience has he? I know it was the first game back since his 'blisters' injury after a previous injury that kept him out most of the season but honestly, why keep Sears out of the team for him? He couldn't trap a bag of cement let alone find the back of the net with an open goal!
You must have a very short memory

This time last year Zamora was scoring many of the goals that would see us survive in the premiership.
His goals were worth at least 9 crucial points towards the back end of last season, after scoring winners against Blackburn, Arsenal and Everton, as well as the second minute opener which set us on our way to victory against Middlesbrough

Surely he deserves a little bit more support? He has been out injured, give the guy a chance!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Up to January, the team playing 4-5-1, had only lost 3 in 15.....European qualification form. The defence looked superb, the midfield bossed better teams than us more often than not. A few more goals would have been nice.

Since Wigan, switching to 4-4-2 as requested by the "Carlton Cole / LBM are ****" mob on here, we've won 2 in 10.....relegation form.The defence looks *****, the midfield lightweight and aside from brief spells against Blackburn (who we always beat) and Everton who were playing a midfield player at centre half our forwards are not really any more dangerous. Imagine if the linesman at Everton and referee at Fulham had got their decisions right......it would have been 5 points in 10 games.

Curbishley needs to get his team and formation right....you cant just adjust to suit one player...which is what he did.......if it means everything else goes tits up.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

EastEndIRON wrote: You must have a very short memory

This time last year Zamora was scoring many of the goals that would see us survive in the premiership.
His goals were worth at least 9 crucial points towards the back end of last season, after scoring winners against Blackburn, Arsenal and Everton, as well as the second minute opener which set us on our way to victory against Middlesbrough

Surely he deserves a little bit more support? He has been out injured, give the guy a chance!
What he said :thup:

Having a pop at Bobby after last night Headbanger short memories that's all I can say Headbanger
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

Here's some highlights...." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Headbanger :clap: :lol:
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Clacton-ammer wrote:
What he said :thup:

Having a pop at Bobby after last night Headbanger short memories that's all I can say Headbanger
Not sure memory is that short. I personally don't think Bobby is a premier league player. I'm not denying he has scored some important goals for us but he is technically poor, has a terrible first touch and I would like to see him fourth or fifth choice.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

jacko wrote: Not sure memory is that short. I personally don't think Bobby is a premier league player. I'm not denying he has scored some important goals for us but he is technically poor, has a terrible first touch and I would like to see him fourth or fifth choice.
Again, that's incredibly harsh on Bobby, some of the goals he has scored when he has been fully fit, Arsenal away x 2, Birmingham away, Everton at home last season to name but a few could not have been scored by someone who does not posess very good technical ability. He is also a player that needs a huge amount of confidence, he has not currently got that as he is just coming back from a lengthy injury spell, if he had of been fit this season and had the chances that CC has had he would be in double figures easily and that's in front of a midfield that's not exactly been firing very well on the creativity level.
EastEndIRON

Post by EastEndIRON »

Not sure memory is that short. I personally don't think Bobby is a premier league player. I'm not denying he has scored some important goals for us but he is technically poor, has a terrible first touch and I would like to see him fourth or fifth choice.
You clearly havent ever seen his goal against Birmingham away in the 2005/06 season - one of the greatest pieces of technical skill i have ever seen from a player wearing the Claret and Blue
J-W

Post by J-W »

I'm in full agreement with that Clacton-ammer. Especially the Birmingham away, when lets face it, if it were Rooney or Ronaldo that had scored that there would've been a massive wankathon I'm sure.
EastEndIRON

Post by EastEndIRON »

Has anybody got a clip of that goal by the way? Ive looked on youtube but cannot seem to find it!

The only thing I can seem to find is the 'Thats Zamora' song released especially for the playoff final :lol:
jonnyhammer

Post by jonnyhammer »

Don't really think you will be missed to be honest.....