West Ham Utd 0 Portsmouth 1 (08/04/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

J-W

Re: West Ham Utd v Portsmouth: match thread

Post by J-W »

EastEndIRON wrote:Has anybody got a clip of that goal by the way? Ive looked on youtube but cannot seem to find it!

The only thing I can seem to find is the 'Thats Zamora' song released especially for the playoff final :lol:
Just had a look myself mate, and the Birmingham goal is around 50 seconds, aswell as some other corkers. :thup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vo2dsebEo
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: The sad thing is with modern Football Fionn is that no one cares if you do renew or don't renew because unlike a few years back, someone will take your Seat, without a ****ing doubt..
For the foreseeable, I make you right, Bob. At Upton Park, there will be someone on a waiting list, eager to have the chance to see The Champs League quarter-finalists turn up and beat WHU (this season was a blip, us beating two of them at home).

It won't last forever, though, in my view. The waiting list will shorten I reckon, the more the league becomes ever predictable.

Looked at from another view as well, the question is whether a person buying a season for the first time this term would bother renew for the next. I make it a fairly poor season at home this time around, Man U and Liverpool apart, with half a dozen teams clearly and easily shutting us down and holding out for a draw.

Back to FK's question - when does it stop being

(a) affordable, or
(b) worth the money and time?

I can afford one at the moment, but the style of the football is questionable, most of the time, to say the least. In terms of excitement and even style, I am starting to look back to AP's first Prem season as something of a golden age.
Clarksville

Post by Clarksville »

kish wrote: Bloke sits right behind me and he was tanked. Best part of the night, beat any of the football.

Funniest bit was when the stewards came up to him and told him to calm down, they turned around, took 5 steps down and next thing you hear is:

"Redknapp you theiving c***, we want our f*cking money!" Steward just looked up and laughed :lol: :thup:

With the appalling performance ON the pitch, I think he was the only real source of entertainment..It was an absolute joy to sit next to him and hear him caning that thieving gypsy Redknapp..

:lol:
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

our performance= dogshite
and there was no funny people around me last night either. an awful night roll on bolton, i cant wait for the journey.
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

morrisey is a hammer wrote:our performance= dogshite
and there was no funny people around me last night either. an awful night roll on bolton, i cant wait for the journey.
oh apart from lucas neil making out his a right back, now that was funny last night. up the hammers :lol:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

On the further evidence of last night, can anyone here explain to me how Scott "Magic Roundabout" Parker ever managed to play for England? Or how Chelsea ever thought he would improve their team?

He's slow.
He's lightweight
He lacks vision and good passing ability
He can't shoot

but he can turn like the QE2 before giving the ball away or being caught in posession.

Yes I know he did score one decent goal earlier in the season, but really...we've been had. Thanks Curbs.
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

Ashton.
I thought he was poor. Campbell had him in his pocket. I know Campbell is a big lump but the what is Deano FFS? The defender has the advantage with high balls pumped upfield. But Ashton constantly failed to jump or stepped forward to let the ball sail over his head. Not just this game either.

Now in his defence.
Why after 30 minutes of hoofing it 7 feet high so Campbell could clear did the rest of the team not realise that tactic was a dead dog? Play it on the ground or at chest height so Deano can receive it with Campbell behind him...

I posted a very irate message last night after getting home. After reflection I can only say I was spot on, It was awful as entertainment. Time is not healing.

Nobody say"bad day at the office" - this has been a bad season at UP.....
westhamrobw

Post by westhamrobw »

What an awful performance last night Headbanger

No creativity, poor tactics, little enthusiasm etc

Ashton was an absolute joke in particular. I don't think he managed to jump for one header all night did he?

Spector!?!?!Spector!?!?! FFS Curbs give Tomkins a run in the team, apart from decent ball, all Spector did last night was pass the ball to Anton, pass the ball to Green and smack the ball into row Z

Neill Headbanger tbh I think Spence or Pantsil should be given an opportunity above him.

WTF was Curbs doing last night??? Why did he put Carlton Cole on the left wing!?!?!?!?!?

Only player that can come out of that game with his head up is probably Cole. He played out of position but he still went on a couple of dangerous runs, and we did look more threatening with him on the pitch.

And Zamora....what a miss :oops:
westhamrobw

Post by westhamrobw »

one more thing, Nobby Solano....

Before his injury he looked OK, but now he can't seem to find a pass, or put in a decent delivery :(
Buxe
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Buxe »

No doubt Curbs had his reasons but I can't see why we didn't start with Sears, Collison & Tomkins. The buzz it would have created among the fans who have, after all, paid their money to be entertained would have been worth a lot of goodwill at the end of the season and even in defeat we would have learnt something from the match and taken something positive from it

With the 'predictable' line up we had, all i can see is we have gone over what we already know:

1. Spector has a career as a utility defender ahead of him
2. Ashton can't be played as the target man
3. Parker is not a creative midfielder (to be fair, once Dyer is fit this is where he'll play)
4. We need to go after players with some PACE this summer
5. Boa Morte tries hard but is not a PL class player any more
6. Mullins is not a top class central midfielder
6. Curbs is in danger of losing the fans.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Buxe wrote:4. We need to go after players with some PACE this summer.
Faubert, Bellamy, Ljungberg, Dyer and Etherington beg to differ...
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

I really hope Lucas Neill heard me when I started shouting at the **** for being out of position and having Spector AGAIN come acros to cover for him, splitting the two centre halfs. Seriously this guy is not the same one from last season, he must be his twin.

It was worse then a side having nothing to play for and to top it off our wonderful leader has a dig at the home support.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Faubert, Bellamy, Ljungberg, Dyer and Etherington beg to differ...

i think he meant players with pace, that will play some games!

:wink:
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

If only.... wrote:Ashton.
I thought he was poor. Campbell had him in his pocket. I know Campbell is a big lump but the what is Deano FFS? The defender has the advantage with high balls pumped upfield. But Ashton constantly failed to jump or stepped forward to let the ball sail over his head. Not just this game either.

Now in his defence.
Why after 30 minutes of hoofing it 7 feet high so Campbell could clear did the rest of the team not realise that tactic was a dead dog? Play it on the ground or at chest height so Deano can receive it with Campbell behind him...

I posted a very irate message last night after getting home. After reflection I can only say I was spot on, It was awful as entertainment. Time is not healing.

Nobody say"bad day at the office" - this has been a bad season at UP.....
The service he got was woeful as well and he kept having to drop deep to get the ball. The five in midfeld pompey employed was a factor and it would have been a better game had Zamora scored and pompey had to be more attcking.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

hammerbenj wrote:

i think he meant players with pace, that will play some games!

:wink:
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets get some players who can play some games first, worry about the pace bit later. :lol:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Oh yeah forgot to type before well done to the jobsworth Police outside the ground last night pushing people onto the pavement before the game where at times there were no cars behind you. Outside the church on Green Street there was another trying it but the pavement is so thin you can get everyone on it but they still tried.

Obviously a good way to spend your time
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Faubert, Bellamy, Ljungberg, Dyer and Etherington beg to differ...
Do you really think any of this lot will play 30 games each next year?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sanchoz wrote:I really hope Lucas Neill heard me when I started shouting at the c*nt for being out of position and having Spector AGAIN come acros to cover for him, splitting the two centre halfs. Seriously this guy is not the same one from last season, he must be his twin.

It was worse then a side having nothing to play for and to top it off our wonderful leader has a dig at the home support.
You want to be careful using expletives like that mate, you'll have some sniveling little grass telling the stewards.
mokum hammer

Post by mokum hammer »

I reckon Lucas Neil is fast heading into the cockney rhyming slang........................

''Feeling a bit rough, gonna call the boss, say I'm feeling a bit 'Lucas' ''

He's getting worse :cry:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Marky wrote: Do you really think any of this lot will play 30 games each next year?
Who knows?

Let's just wait and see...