PSF: Southampton 2 West Ham Utd 2 (01/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Adi Cokers Boots

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Adi Cokers Boots »

Cambiasso wrote:The Southampton site says Cole had to come out with a knock. No mention of that on the West Ham site.
We can but hope :wink:
Cambiasso
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

Hammerman, apparently I'm blind. My apologies.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Not sure what you mean by that - but Davenport didn't start against Peterborough?....
Cherry picking are we? Started against H&R, both games in US, and Southampton...4 out 5...just speculating out of sheer boredom anyway.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

westhamerica wrote: Cherry picking are we? Started against H&R, both games in US, and Southampton...4 out 5...just speculating out of sheer boredom anyway.
Not really cherry picking...it was because Upson wasn't fit, neither was Gabbidon or Collins, and Tomkins was away with England :lol:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

God help us if we have to play Davenport and Mullins in the same team this season! :shock:

Behrami looked class, put a lot of effort in all night. Stech looked very solid. Bellamy was fired up but took a knock just before half time. All the youngsters looked lively when they came on, cracking goal from Hines.

Other than that we looked generally off the pace all night. We got caught in possession far to many times and there will have to be a big step up between tonight and Villareal.

Someone please tell me why there were so many pissed hammers there tonight, some of the older ones were embarassing! Still managed to sell out the 3000 allocation though.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Ok so it was a friendly so shouldn't be too worried but the season starts soon. The Saints players were well up for this and our players weren't. Bellamy did little and missed one chance he could have done better with and moaned like a twat all evening till he was subbed. Cole was rubbish. His main trick tonight was heading the ball straight up in the air. Davenport and Parker gave the ball away with frightening regularity but they both battled and Davenport got his goal. Neill was annonymous. Upson was ok. Behrami? Very lightweight and was to blame for their second goal. Lost possession and tried to claim fouls that weren't while play went on which he will have to stop. Looks comfortable on the ball though and can pass. Noble was excellent when he came on. Mobile, energetic and passed brilliantly. Our best overall performer. Stanislaus looked pretty good too. Stokes and Collinson were busy but not so impressive. Hines showed flashes of brilliance but was also very lightweight and occasionally clumsy. Nice finish after an initial sloppy touch. Ferdinand was not really threatened after coming on. Faubert? Awful. Not interested, slow and still looks fat. Reid looks very mediocre to me. Stech couldn't do much about the goals and seems to have good positioning and handling. Was sad not to see Ashton, Sears or Ljungberg. People may not like Etherington or the dead snake but they are not going to be challenged by Reid. We need McCartney back and Dyer fit soon too. Hopefully we will sign one or two more soonish. Hopefully we will not see Parker and Mullins paired in midfield much either.
Chi Hammer

Post by Chi Hammer »

Just got back, Nice summary Chrissie Boy, spot on :thup:

Not sure what started in the bar at half time, but it looked a bit naughty for a minute!!

Soton support was pish, the only area of the ground which was full was ours, i know we are not "top 4" but the their turn out was poor. Also, i know they are skint, but the match programme included tonight's game with their friendly with Stoke on Tuesday :shock:
Pearson

Post by Pearson »

What a poor performence! I think its fair to say that saints were the better team!
Defiently need some new signings!
Does any one know what happend at HT ? i went down to get some food and the shutters on the refreshments were shut and west ham fans banging on it before the old bill came in :S
Last edited by Pearson on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Hines seems to be having a good pre-season. Might get a couple of games at this rate.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Balls over the top of our full backs.................... Curbs, work on balls over the top of our full backs.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Pearson wrote: Does any one know what happend at HT ? i went down to get some food and the shutters on the refreshments were shut and west ham fans banging on it before the old bill came in :S
Was told someone was refused beer, got aggitated and things went from there. Thing is people standing infront of the police giving it was not a smart move as everyone was being recorded by police with hand held cameras
Horace
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Horace »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:Hines seems to be having a good pre-season. Might get a couple of games at this rate.
He won't. He's horseshit and is destined to a career in lower league football at best.
Harveys_HammersLH
Billy no tag

Post by Harveys_HammersLH »

Just got home from the game.

Thought we did ok with the right side of Faubert and Behrami really impressing me and Stech looked very good in goal. The 2nd half performance was better than the 1st half and the turn and finish from Zavon Hines was just quality (nice ball back from Behrami).

It kicked off a bit at h/t under the stands though I didn't see loads of it. Looked like someone got nicked and everyone just started kicking off.

As for Carlton Cole, well it didn't look great. I think it was his knee that went but I can't be 100% of that. Tonight showed the need to bring in another striker to cover Bellamy and Ashton.

All in all it was a decent work out.
was to blame for their second goal. Lost possession and tried to claim fouls that weren't while play went on which he will have to stop.
I'm not sure if it was Behrami or not but I thought that it was a blatant foul in the lead up to their second goal.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Harveys_HammersLH wrote: I'm not sure if it was Behrami or not but I thought that it was a blatant foul in the lead up to their second goal.
Certainly looked blatant from where I was, even the saints fan I was talking to on the train agreed. But there again not the only strange/wrong decison by the ref tonight.

Not a bad workout for the team and at least my kids won't get too much piss taking from their mates, my eldest was dead worried we would lose.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just got back.

last year = west ham the easiest team to beat in the league
this year= the same

different year, different players, but if you dont put pressure on the ball -particularily in the final third, at any level, you know that the centre of your defence is under pressure.

we have no, no, no midfield..i dont care what anyone says, as individuals parker noble etc are fine/ok players...but we are soft, clueless and idea-less in the centre

soton cut through us so easily tonight- it was like pardews team just before he was sacked.

we had a corner- first half...we were joking- i bet soton score from this...fuk me. we missed the header..the ball was up the other end in 10 seconds and I dont know how they missed! unforgiveable!

game over..

my thoughts?

bellamy looks like rooney must have done just before he made it at everton...a footballing god kicking the ball around with a bunch of lads on the the local rec. what am i doing here he must ask himself? kept shaking his head, i dont blame him!

davenport...great header of the ball..****ing hopeless at everything else-guilty for both goals..distribution skills of a blind leper...would struggle to get a game at orient..

kyle reid...the only winger who hits the other corner flag, consistently, with his crosses- why is he still here?

faubert- dog chasing a balloon...truly ****ing hopeless..if anyone really believes he can cut it, i'll take anyones money- we were mugged off by his agent- rangers are lucky they didnt get him.

Upson-- will be HOTY next year...a beacon of quality...

mulllins..ive loved you, defended you, now please go...just so off the pace as not to bear thinking about....

hines...sensational...great goal...good work ...start him ahead of sears.....actually start him ahead of everyone...he looked the business

colllison....could be our next carrick..or. he could be..the next tony stokes, who actually came on

we ended up with basically the u 17/18 team..so there you go, the brave new era, and we've lost about ten players so far.

cole's injury looked like a big big knock

im all for allowing time to bed in, but having seen three game so far this season, Im seriously not in any way convinced that anything is about to change..set your sights low, fellow hammers

Im embarrassed that our out' ball is still a lump upfield, or in davenports case, a feeble push into the middle of no-where

way way too many horrible totally pissed up 'fans' most of whom couldn't even remember the words to our songs....half-time rumble was fun to watch..

not worth getting nicked over, tho, is it...a ****ing friendly versus southampton!??!

bring on the end of may... :think: :think:
Scaloni Is The Messiah

w4hammer wrote: last year = west ham the easiest team to beat in the league
Have a word with yourself. You do remember who finished bottom last year, don't you?

For the first two thirds of the season we had the fifth best defensive record in the league.
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Behrami, Upson and Parker were useless.

Neill, Mullins and Cole were well off the pace as they have been all pre-season.

Hines, Stanislas, Stech, Reid and Collison should all be in the squad and playing regularly.

Faubert is the worst player I've ever seen.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Its pre season, everyone is so worked up :lol:

i didnt even know we were bloody playing lol
Scaloni Is The Messiah

THE GIBBINS wrote:Its pre season, everyone is so worked up :lol:
I know. Every season massive conclusions about the coming season are drawn from pre-season warm-ups. Every season they prove to be well wide of the mark, because these games are almost entirely irrelevant to anything.

That said, I really want to see what happens if we lose one. :shock:
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

same as it ever was (on here anyway).