PSF: Southampton 2 West Ham Utd 2 (01/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Romford »

Memorial Ground wrote:What do you mean about VB's attitude, Romford?

Didn't like being tackled, came across very arrogant towards the Ref on a couple of occassions and seemed to me to expect the ball being passed to him on every attack. Bit like Bellamy actually without as much quality...probably nothing but it didn't endear himself to me.

Not going to hold it against him tho...as it was only a friendly (as many have put)

Did enjoy the game though which is very unusual for such a match :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

People's thoughts on Faubert are starting to worry me along with what i saw with my own eyes in the US... :cry:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:People's thoughts on Faubert are starting to worry me along with what i saw with my own eyes in the US... :cry:
I'm afraid too many people saw him for one half at Dagenham and thought he was a world beater...best to see how he gets on with a run in the team at full fitness, he has all the tools thats for sure
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Romford wrote: he has all the tools thats for sure
Anyone else noticed he hardly uses any backlift when crossing or shooting? He has immense power in his legs that's for sure.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Romford wrote: I'm afraid too many people saw him for one half at Dagenham and thought he was a world beater...best to see how he gets on with a run in the team at full fitness, he has all the tools thats for sure
I remember thinking Titi Camara would be amazing after seeing him in a friendly against Dagenham :lol:
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

hammerdivone wrote: Anyone else noticed he hardly uses any backlift when crossing or shooting? He has immense power in his legs that's for sure.
I was thinking the same last year when he had one of his runouts, he was crossing balls from the right slot with so much pace and spin. I hope he can live up to his TGV nickname at UP when he's fully fit and got some games in.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

THE GIBBINS wrote: I remember thinking Titi Camara would be amazing after seeing him in a friendly against Dagenham :lol:
& i remem ber thinking he looked like Rusty Lee & she would do a better job than him after a Pre Season at Leyton Orient.. :lol:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Have to say if you have not Bene St. Marys it just like Reading and Coventry (without the big directors box section that Coventry has) with regards to a bland bowl stadium

(Christian Dailly's Son)
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

I can't wait ti ll after the Villareal game if we win.

Everyone will be saying we will be pushing for the Champs league places after beating a team Liverpool could only draw with :lol:
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Romford wrote:The joys of KUMB :lol:

FWIW..

I actually enjoyed the match and thought it a good run out for a friendly... and saw some very good football in small threads of play.

I actually thought Davenport had a good game, was worried by Swiss Tonys attitude (esp at the back) and thought Faubert was our worst player. Getting knocked off the ball by a kid half your size when you are built like a Battleship was worrying...chucked in with shedloads of pointing at players to do his spadework for him when tracking back.

The goal from Hines was a lovely move and I thought Nobes made the difference in the 2nd.

Good to see a few old faces there tonight :thup:
It's not often I get to games so I thoroughly enjoyed it, I agree in patches there was some very good pieces of play unfortunately they were interspersed with a lot of dross :lol:

I thought the passing improved when Noble came on and thought Parker had worked quite hard in the 1st half without really achieving much. Hines' goal was good and I thought he did pretty well but needs to be a bit stronger on the ball.

I agree with your assesment of Berahmi & Faubert if we go into the season with them on the right side showing the attitude toward defence they showed Friday, we'll have a problem.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

That surprises me with Behrami...usually he loves to track back and chase players etc...I'm not worried about Faubert tbh. I know he's a good player, and I think he just needs to play some Premiership games. He's hardly played any for us since joined has he?.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

IMHO:

Stech - 7/10 - looked pretty solid and good positioning, couldnt help the goals
Neill - 5/10 still looking slow, some bad distribution
Davenport - 3/10 ok at heading out of the box (and once into their net) but thats about it.
Upson - 6/10 quiet game which is usually a positive thing for a defender, getting fitter.
Behrami - 3/10 - was getting skinned by their winger time after time. ok that may be fitness but he didnt do a great deal else apart from one ball for hines goal.
Reid - 3/10 - didnt get back to cover and awful crossing.
Parker - 5/10 - poor distribution but got stuck in
Mullins - 4/10 - anonymous
Faubert - 7/10 - started slow but got better, thought he was one of our only threats
Cole - 4/10 - awful at holding the ball, looks dangerous when running but never looks like he will score
Bellamy - 4/10 - maybe knackered but not his best game, just didnt do much.

Subs -
Anton - 7/10 - looked solid and our best defender
Hines - 8/10 - really did look very good, quick and our biggest threat.
Widdowson - 7/10 one poor ball but the rest very good and i'd rather he was left back than Neill.