PSF: Southampton 2 West Ham Utd 2 (01/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Kialos »

It was quite apparent that Southampton were happy to get stuck in and not many of ours were. We played better second half but that was because the team was mainly kids by that stage and they were well up to run and compete. Hines is a slippery fast character but outside the box is a waste of space, Inside the box he shows why a player like Cole will never be good enough as a PL starter. Every time Cole got the ball in the box he was stumbling over it being too slow in thought and movement. Hines comes on and within 5 minutes receives the ball in the box, a quick jiggle to get it under control and bang, gets a shot in. Noble had a good game as did Stech.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Some ridiculous comments from a few on here....
Faubert is the worst player I've ever seen.
Hines, Stanislas, Stech, Reid and Collison should all be in the squad and playing regularly.
last year = west ham the easiest team to beat in the league
this year= the same
People judging our youngsters on less than one half of football in a friendly and proposing we throw them straight in at the deep end in the Premier League, suggesting that a guy who was one of our best players in the MLS All-Stars match is the worst player they've ever seen and the most proposterous comment of them all, saying we were and are the easiest team in the league to beat, when we got 36 more points than a certain team from Derby last season...
I'm starting to see the mindset of those who boo every bloody week at UP....
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

This is what I call "England" syndrome, Unless we win 9-0 against lesser opposition we are ****.

Also Pre-Season is so people can get up to speed and get ready for the season. It's not about smashing teams it's about MATCH fitness.

So yeah people may have a **** game but they are getting FIT!

Stop being a bunch of whinging c**ts!! West Ham fans these days complain about swearing and smoking at Football and moan that every pass tackle or shot doesn't result in a goal and they take the piss out of Chelsea being Prawn Sandwich take a look at yourself?

Mugs
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

some on here need to lighten up. We played **** and got a draw against a team who is a week ahead of us and at home.

I would like to see mullins sold and anyone brought in, he is such a poor player, doesn't see men running off him and just strolls.

Cole is a poor player and ideally shouldn't play many games but he is a target man option.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

I had just wrote a massive post on how much people f*** me off on this website, but decided to delete it because maybe it was a bit strong, but i tell you all something some of you twats on here need a ****ing reality check and to remember we are West Ham Unites and not Manchester United and we dont have a devine right to beat every team.
cornish Jim

Post by cornish Jim »

really disappointed to hear the comments about Faubert. I had high hopes for him...
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

cornish Jim wrote:really disappointed to hear the comments about Faubert. I had high hopes for him...
Well give him a run in the side and let's see, instead of writing him off after a pre-season friendly.
Chavs

Post by Chavs »

cornish Jim wrote:really disappointed to hear the comments about Faubert. I had high hopes for him...
Jim so instead of waiting for the actual season to start you are going to judge him on some negative muppets comments on a PRE SEASON game and write him off?
Chavs

Post by Chavs »

Claretdave wrote: Well give him a run in the side and let's see, instead of writing him off after a pre-season friendly.
f*** off Dave, i am at work and in a bad mood let me piss people off!!!!!!!
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

Gabers wrote: ....... I doubt Quashie will ever pull on the shirt again even in friendlies
Soton mate saw him getting off the bus.Maybe hes driving it now (the team coach).
pantsil_legend

Post by pantsil_legend »

I8CHAVS wrote:I had just wrote a massive post on how much people f*** me off on this website, but decided to delete it because maybe it was a bit strong, but i tell you all something some of you twats on here need a f***ing reality check and to remember we are West Ham Unites and not Manchester United and we dont have a devine right to beat every team.
Exactly my view as well. OK, it was Southampton, but does that mean a) we HAVE to beat them or we're *****, or b) they aren't allowed to 'have a go'? They are one week ahead of us and we were playing a lot of kids. Some people saying 'Faubert's useless', 'play Zavon Hines' etc need a reality check. Hines barely got a game when on loan at Coventry, and Faubert is a France international. If we let him get fit and he will be fantastic IMO. Hines may show potential but these erratic comments remind me of my glory-hunting mates, that change views on players massively in a short period of time. One minute 'he's brilliant', the next minute 'he's *****'. I mean, one of them said to me Tevez was crap after he hadn't scored in his first few games after signing for Man Utd...
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

I8CHAVS wrote:
f*** off Dave, i am at work and in a bad mood let me piss people off!!!!!!!
Be my guest! :lol:
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

The majority of the kids we brought on last night were very lively and showed promise. Thats the positive I took from the game.
The trouble underneath just before/during half time was a storm in a milk and sugar-less tea cup, handbags at 10 paces.
The only negative I want to talk about is how much Kyle Reids gone downhill. He was so poor last night we mistook him for LBM for some considerable time. Well until he was subbed. Thats how bad he was. Sort yourself out Matty and get back in the squad as you are sorely needed on the left. I dont care what people say he is blatantly the only left sided player we currently have who has a hope in hell of producing anything down that side of the pitch.

Sorry to hear your at work I8Chavs, my sympathys go out to you.
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

dodger wrote:Some ridiculous comments from a few on here....

Yes indeed that does Luis a grave disservice and makes light of his efforts over the past 18 months.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I8CHAVS wrote:I had just wrote a massive post on how much people f*** me off on this website, but decided to delete it because maybe it was a bit strong, but i tell you all something some of you twats on here need a f***ing reality check and to remember we are West Ham Unites and not Manchester United and we dont have a devine right to beat every team.
What a mistaker to maker "west ham unites" :lol:

It's nuts on here, the lunatics are gradually taking over the asylum.................the match threads are the most depressing part of the site. A friendly at Southampton for gods sake........etc etc :?
ghinzani

Post by ghinzani »

hammerdivone wrote: Someone please tell me why there were so many pissed hammers there tonight, some of the older ones were embarassing! Still managed to sell out the 3000 allocation though.
Combination of it being Friday night and the end of a long week, and possibly the fact that beer was £2.50 a pint in that King Alfred pub just up the road (and I guess the rest of Sotons pubs).
Chavs

Post by Chavs »

davids cross wrote: What a mistaker to maker "west ham unites" :lol:

It's nuts on here, the lunatics are gradually taking over the asylum.................the match threads are the most depressing part of the site. A friendly at Southampton for gods sake........etc etc :?
Damn my fat fingers! Thats true match threads are swarming with absolute c****!

ghinzani thanks it is only till 1 and then i shall booze my way to watch Grays Ath v West Ham Unties XI at the home of football The Rec.....
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

THE GIBBINS wrote:Its pre season, everyone is so worked up :lol:

i didnt even know we were bloody playing lol
Me neither till about 9pm last night :lol:
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Ok so most sensible posters on here seem to be in agreement that friendlies don't matter. I'm not sure either way but do have some things to say in a Devil's Advocate manner. So the result doesn't really matter? I agree to some extent and I can't get myself worked up a lot about a friendly result though a negative result can't be good for ther players' morale, can it? 2-2 is no big thing but losing would have annoyed me as I'm going out drinking with old school friends tonight and both Pompey and Saints would obviously take the piss. I'm sure Newcastle are getting a wee bit worried about their friendly results now too. Individual performances don't matter? Personally if I pay money to watch my team at any point I expect a few of our players at least to show what they can do. Again people talk about England friendlies, and how people have unrealistic expectations result wise. Well if we can't have a result can we at least have some entertainment? Turn it on a bit. Try some tricks and do something a bit flash instead of being so cagey. As it was it was only the young lads led by Noble who turned it on a bit last night. So friendlies should be for fitness at least? In that case players should run a bit more. Faubert take note. He definitely still needs to lose a bit of weight. Parker and Noble and again a few of the young lads were the only ones to put in some running. Friendlies generate money and give people a chance to see their teams and other teams and players in places they might not otherwise go except for a lucky cup drawer. They can occasionally liven up and turn into a proper spectacle. I still don't know if people should pay too much to see them though.

HH, as usual you have your c & b specs on. Behrami was the boy who cried wolf. Even if on that occasion he was fouled, though to be honest I was on the halfway line where it happened and thought he should have stayed up, then he could have chased back instead of 'praying' to the ref. Hope he stops that Italian habit soon too. He did look good in flashes though but I still can't see how you thought he and Faubert looked good on the right. Behrami and Ljungberg on the right for me as I see things so far. I'm supposing that Curbs will have had a word with him after this game and talked about some of his habits. "Lad, you went down quicker than a crack addicted tart on the nearby Derby Road tonight son!" or perhaps some subtler and easier to comprehend phrase.

The ref was poor and let the Saints players get away with some tasty slides from behind but the worst were on Parker, Faubert and Cole. Behrami mainly got caught in possession or gave up too easily in a tussle. Still as I say he showed some quality touches and showed he is comfortable on the ball and once his attitude and habits change I am fairly confident he will turn out to be one of our best signings in recent years. Let's see how everybody does against Villareal.

Finally a word about Southampton. Nice little stadium. I went to the Dell a few times years ago and obviously this stadium looks a lot nicer but... They made a big mistake putting the pitch so far away. Remember them often upsetting Man Utd and Liverpool? They've lost an edge there and I can see one of the reasons why they went down. Though let's face it West Ham didn't do that much better with our redevelopment and the pitch. Fans? I liked Southampton when Le Tiss was in his pomp except for the usual loss or spanking we got at the Dell. The fans weren't too bad then and I knew a few growing up in Gosport with Pompey one side and Saints the other. Now? Very bitter perhaps understandably, but there really is no humour there. They booed every West Ham substitution. Why? Their only song is the "Get your father's gun and shoot all the Pompey scum" which is really rather sad at times. I'd like to see them stay up next season none the less. They will be relying on youngsters and have some decent ones it seems but it will be a struggle again I think.
cornish Jim

Post by cornish Jim »

I8CHAVS wrote: Jim so instead of waiting for the actual season to start you are going to judge him on some negative muppets comments on a PRE SEASON game and write him off?
Who said I'm writing him off?

Who said I'm judging him on one pre season game ?

You pick up on me using "had" instead of "have" and conclude that I have completley dismissed the guy. The truth is anything but. I agree that some people over react to pre season friendly performances, BUT everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My comment was only a reflection of the fact that on here, and on other sites, Faubert did not have a good game. Reports of him in other pre season games have, it seems been a bit mixed. This coupled with the fact that he didn't set the world on fire in the second half of last season (OK after a very serious injury, and with limited opportunities) is, to me, a little dissapointing.

Like everyone, I hope he gets the chance to prove that he is the player we think he can be