PSF: Peterborough 0 West Ham Utd 2 (29/07/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Peterborough away

Post by sanchoz »

Memorial Ground wrote: Good, thought I was seeing things.

:wink:
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

SL wrote:Gay comment alert:

Anyone else loving our new away kit?
See the Bears games Saturday?

Loving the boys in the new kit in this picture on the OS

http://www.whufc.com/page/News/0,,12562~1353812,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

SL wrote:Gay comment alert:
Gay commentary alert:

Green comes off, Stech 'entering in his place.'
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1141 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: Peterborough v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Mosterhammer »

where is dyer??? was hoping he would be ready for the new season..
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

H4g5ster wrote:
42min - GOAL! - Another delightful goal by Bellamy. He got in behind and chipped the keeper superbly after a long pass forward from Neill.

Never doubted Neill for a moment

what a player....
Mad Professor
Has liked: 277 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

Mosterhammer wrote:where is dyer??? was hoping he would be ready for the new season..
Only started full training yesterday?
Bromleyboy
Location: ....waiting for the lift so I can go to the next level
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Bromleyboy »

West Ham United: Robert Green, Lucas Neill (Capt), Anton Ferdinand, Matthew Upson, Valon Behrami, Scott Parker, Julien Faubert, Craig Bellamy, Kyel Reid, Carlton Cole, Mark Noble.

This could be very close to our starting line up I think. Neill at LB, Behrami at RB may just be a try out as its a friendly, but maybe not mmmmm :think:

Freddie in for Reid and a choice between Noble/Dyer if he's fit and obviously Ashton for CC

Maybe not that close when I think about it (where's the coat emoticon??)
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

i knew behrami would look good in our new away kit.
what?
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

Dyer's targeted the Ipswich game for his return.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Just got back, record time for an 'away' game :lol:

Good enough performance, did what we had to do in the first half and the second wasn't that interesting.

Bellamy looked sharp and clinical in front of goal, Behrami got stuck in and showed some good touches on the ball. I really think we could have got a great deal with this fella.

Everyone else did their bit but Carlton Cole and Kyle Reid should start looking for other clubs, really not good enough IMHO.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

You're too harsh on Cole, I think. He held the ball up well and worked hard against Hampton and Richmond the other week. Reid didn't look anything special there, though and if he wasn't much cop tonight maybe he should start exploring other options. He's been here a few seasons and has yet to stake a serious claim for a first team place.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

DanielHammer wrote:Don't think the official site would sya he was sick if he has hurt his knee, they have even said he should be back for the southampton game.

Wonder where Mccartney is, also intresting to see no ethrington or boa morte in the squad.

Good to see Behrami playing behind Faubert, hope thats our right side next season.
indeed. sick and injured are surely different (sick implies a bug or similar)
Denby

Post by Denby »

Ben wrote:i knew behrami would look good in our new away kit.
what?
:lol:
I am law

Post by I am law »

iloveyoudailly wrote: Gay commentary alert:

Green comes off, Stech 'entering in his place.'
:lol:
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

Look, the Carlton Cole debate is going to go on all season, much as it did last. Some people will point to his physical presence, the occasional surprisingly deft touch. Others may allude to his profligacy in possession, and his struggle to play the right pass.

Me personally, I think it's a difficult one but if pushed I'd have to say

CARLTON COLE IS COMPLETE SHlT.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Ironball wrote:Look, the Carlton Cole debate is going to go on all season, much as it did last. Some people will point to his physical presence, the occasional surprisingly deft touch. Others may allude to his profligacy in possession, and his struggle to play the right pass.

Me personally, I think it's a difficult one but if pushed I'd have to say

CARLTON COLE IS COMPLETE SHlT.
Yeah, but he wears our shirt.
Cut him some slack for five, will ya?
West Dan

Post by West Dan »

Just back, Bellamy ran the show, Behrami looked class. Neill had a few dodgy moments, all in all a good result and a typical "friendly" game.
Ironball

Post by Ironball »

I am law wrote:Yeah, but he wears our shirt.
Cut him some slack for five, will ya?
Ah, well. Get out the violins. Send in the clowns. Oh no, they're already here.

I have nothing against him as a person, but I sat there nine too many times last season watching him receive the ball, watch another player make a good run into obvious space, and either see him not play the pass or f*** it up.

He's not good enough. He deserves slack as a human being, he deserves slack as a footballer, but he doesn't deserve slack as a player at a Premier League team that has higher aspirations than 16th place.

Just as there is something beautiful about seeing a football team come together and click, to see a player run and another player intuitively find the run, there is something sickening, joyless and depressing about routinely paying acute attention to someone routinely failing to time his run, failing to weight his pass, failing to perceive the space. If I want to get excruciatingly frustrated I don't need to go down to Upton Park, I can just download a Vista service pack update.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Ironball wrote: Ah, well. Get out the violins. Send in the clowns. Oh no, they're already here.

I have nothing against him as a person, but I sat there nine too many times last season watching him receive the ball, watch another player make a good run into obvious space, and either see him not play the pass or f*** it up.

He's not good enough. He deserves slack as a human being, he deserves slack as a footballer, but he doesn't deserve slack as a player at a Premier League team that has higher aspirations than 16th place.

Just as there is something beautiful about seeing a football team come together and click, to see a player run and another player intuitively find the run, there is something sickening, joyless and depressing about routinely paying acute attention to someone routinely failing to time his run, failing to weight his pass, failing to perceive the space. If I want to get excruciatingly frustrated I don't need to go down to Upton Park, I can just download a Vista service pack update.
:thup:

Couldn't have put it better myself.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

As mentioned Bellamy was a class above everyone else on the pitch (possibly Upson excluded). Behrami looked promising. Personally, I thought Reid did well. Didn't look out of place at all. Forgetting the occasional moment of frustration, Cole was pretty good as well. Stanislas looks a prospect, very good on the ball. I look forward to seeing more of him next season. Faubert gave the odd flash of brilliance too. He does get stuck in. I would add that between him and Behrami, Behrami is definitely the more defensive of the two players. He certainly seems to like a crunching tackle. Stech's handling was impressive. Looks like he might have moved ahead of Walker in the pecking order. Can't fault Neill either. Anyone criticising him after that performance is looking to hard. Peterborough didn't really create many good chances.

Good game. :crest: