West Ham Utd 2 Wigan Ath 1 (16/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan Ath: match thread

Post by westlondonhammer »

Romford wrote:Really...why don't you say that to my face and see what happens ??

As usual...another all mouth nobody who can work a computer.
You know what people are like... Its not the first time and wont be the last, so I will draw your attention to the following reverand romford

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

:wink:
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

As I say, I've not seen today's performance but we WON!

The way we played may have been poor, but there will be games where we trample the opposition, good opposition, and might not get the points, so let's just take advantage of the respite we've been given from the doom and gloom.

Well done West Ham and Curbs :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

miles wrote:It was a decent performance .........Give Droopy some credit........ It was an entertaining game and a pretty typical f***ing West Ham performance anyway.......
:thup: Eloquent and right.

Entertaining game, we played some decent attacking football, West Ham win.......but not without frightening the lives out of us first.

What's to grumble about.............. that's the West Ham way....
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

It was the first game of the season and it was a good performance 1st half. we were hanging on the 2nd, but we won and got some much needed game time to improve the fitness levels. i am generally pleased with today. what makes it even sweeter is spurs losing. :raver:
Memorial Ground

saludo de carlitos wrote:It was the first game of the season and it was a good performance 1st half. we were hanging on the 2nd, but we won and got some much needed game time to improve the fitness levels. i am generally pleased with today. what makes it even sweeter is Sp*rs losing. :raver:
You've changed.
saludo de carlitos

Memorial Ground wrote: You've changed.
Well it's a new season and a fresh start for everyone mate.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

I reckon you've moved seats from next to chalks to next to Harvs.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

hawkins_hammer wrote:The defence bailed out the midfield today. Without Ashton all is lost. Sears looks to have improved over the summer though which is good. Wigan will not go down. Kapo is class.
agree with all that, kapo would be a good signing, apparently wants out of wigan already...!
sears was good indeed, and constantly wanting the ball, very confident lad!

also:

Re: Summer transfer talk/rumours
by Ben on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:37 pm
crazy thought... how would boa morte fare at left back
as long as we could stop him doing any crazy sliding tackles in the box i reckon he would do alright... good at tracking back
energy, cant score for toffee which wont matter there so much, i am a genius! 2birdswith1stone!

at least we know now that curbs reads my posts for tips 8-)
Last edited by Ben on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Memorial Ground wrote:As I say, I've not seen today's performance but we WON!

The way we played may have been poor, but there will be games where we trample the opposition, good opposition, and might not get the points, so let's just take advantage of the respite we've been given from the doom and gloom.

Well done West Ham and Curbs :thup:
The thing is that we weren't poor. The expectation seems a bit wonky, really, that's all.

We played very well to begin with, although I basically agree with Romford that our goals capitalised on slack marking. Wigan are starting their 4th season in the Prem, just like us; they've got areas of quality, a team plan and an experienced boss/captain.

We won. And a number of players earnt their wages. Ashton scored 1/5 of his tally for the whole of last season, Davenport made, frankly an amazing comeback from a broken neck and Cole, as ever, worked his socks off.

Job Done FFS...

...And we'll pick off another three points next weekend.
Last edited by I am law on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saludo de carlitos

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:I reckon you've moved seats from next to chalks to next to Harvs.
:D :clap:
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

Romford wrote: Really...why don't you say that to my face and see what happens ??

As usual...another all mouth nobody who can work a computer.
You sad little man, I hope I never meet you.
assassin47

Post by assassin47 »

bubbles1966 wrote:In the 2nd half Davenport and Cole were the difference between us conceding a hatful and scraping a lucky 2-1
I agree if it was not for Cole and his 3 or 4 clearence's off the line we would of lost this game I thought he had a very good game and done superb at the link up play between our mid and deano, although our mid went missing in the second half. Yet there are still some retards around the ground who boo Cole.

Parker was our driving force in mid with noble playing a defencive role in the first half but as soon as parker got booked he went missing! With someone of Parkers experiance he should be able to control himself more.

I thought Davenport has a very solid game as well, just like he has been in pre season and in his first spell at the club when he was on loan form the scum.

Thought the new boy was good as well and showed a lot of potential, i think his partnership with Faubert will be a lot like the schemmel and sinclair patnership when they were the most feared right sided flank in the prem.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

assassin47 wrote:a lot like the schemmel and sinclair patnership when they were the most feared right sided flank in the prem.
Around the same time Neville and Beckham were at their peaks? :wink:
assassin47

Post by assassin47 »

yeah around the same time but unfortunaly they do not appear while i am still wearing my clarent and blue tinted glases!

Although that partnership was awsome on the right hand wing can you name any other recent partnership that has been as good as those two were?
assassin47

Post by assassin47 »

Opps double post
Last edited by assassin47 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Game was a bit ohhhhh but i got boozed so it was more weeeeeeeey
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

With regard to Boa Morte playing at left back. I mentioned this a while back and it's not a dumb as it sounds. He started off playing there for the Arse and often featured as a left wing back for Portugal. Given our squad weakness in that position and Boa Morte's general uselessness anywhere else on the field, I am surprised Curbs hasn't looked into this switch more. He could have been tried out there in some pre season friendlies (instead of ...er... Ben Thatcher, for example) and still could have a run in the position in some reserve games. He'd need to calm down a little but as we are paying his ludicrously high wages anyway, so why not get some use out of him.
Memorial Ground

I8CHAVS wrote:Game was a bit ohhhhh but i got boozed so it was more weeeeeeeey
eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh! :thup:
chalky

Post by chalky »

Geordie Hammer wrote: You echoed exactly what I put on here half way through the second half. I don't know how Curbs does it. We go in after playing really well and then come out with a negative attitude. However, it's the first game and I am holding judgement.

However, possibly one answer to this.

I wonder whether Curbs is afraid of losing so asks them to play more defensively which then leads to negative play and allows teams to come onto us. Just a theory, but this going into the lead (and normally a 2-0 one) and then chucking it away (or doing our hardest to chuck it away) is getting a little too common and I feel that nothing has changed from last season.

....must be positive. It's a win!!! Must be positive. Headbanger
I still don't get it!

It wasn't broke so why fix it? He should have just said, 'well done lads, more of the same please'. It was that easy!

Instead we come out like a load of premenstrual tarts, and we're all over the ****ing shop!

Curbs' charisma magic? He couldn't even charm birds into the trees, let alone out of them! How did he almost talk them out that?

He didn't? So what happened them? An involuntary collective death wish? Well, that's what it looked like to me.

We got away with murder there. They were there for the taking, we had them at sixes & sevens, then we go all to pot, and, in the end, were lucky.

This was an easy match, [on paper] but we won't be let off so lightly all the time will we? We'll get well hurt if we repeat that kind of play, especially against a team that has a manager with an ounce of guile.
Chavs
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Memorial Ground wrote: eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh! :thup:
keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :raver:

What is everyone moaning for we won,we had a laugh and i pissed on the seat cos my missus is moaning about the state of me