West Ham Utd 2 Wigan Ath 1 (16/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan Ath: match thread

Post by Romford »

Awbis wrote:Apart from the assist?
I hope that isn't directed at Fauberts miskicked corner :shock:[/quote]

No it was his ball in for ashtons first goal[/quote]

P!ss poor marking more than a killer ball...IMHO

Wigan gave us a 2 goal lead from what i saw...Poor defending
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

Romford wrote:
I hope that isn't directed at Fauberts miskicked corner :shock:
You jaded twonk why don't you find a new hobby?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Didnt go to the game today (just got back from Lords... Essex :thup: )... anyway, seems like a lucky results according to the comments on here

... but, solid result to start the season in a tricky game we dont usually do well in... lets hope things get better from here if we were as lucky as people seem to be suggesting

I said we needed some luck this season if we were going to really do well... i guess is started here
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

saludo de carlitos wrote:I was impressed with faubert today and that is the best he has played in a west ham shirt.

Simply dont understand how you could say that. Generally speaking he is always poor
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

PaoloD wrote: Open you eyes, pal. I'm am not a Davenport fans by any means, but apart from one dodgy looking header square across the back which resulted him bringing down the man and getting booked, I thought he was immens and went a long way to securing the 3 points.
No need for the Pal malarkey fella....its all opinion. Even if he is wrong :lol:
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

I don't think I've head of a player that consistently has such contrasting reviews as Faubert.

I've not seen today's game, but the disagreement between everyone here over his performance is nothing new.

Weird. :think:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Romford wrote: No need for the Pal malarkey fella....its all opinion. Even if he is wrong :lol:
:lol: thirded

carries on like that and he'll need a song or at least a nickname....
Last edited by hammer1975 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

The defence bailed out the midfield today. Without Ashton all is lost. Sears looks to have improved over the summer though which is good. Wigan will not go down. Kapo is class.

Oh and Faubert has incredible technique and a sensible footballing brain based on today. We should stick by him until he comes good, which he will.
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

I am law wrote: That is one very nice camera you've got there.

Thankyou, serves me well enough. :)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

H4g5ster wrote: You jaded twonk why don't you find a new hobby?
Really...why don't you say that to my face and see what happens ??

As usual...another all mouth nobody who can work a computer.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I can see where the criticism of faubert comes from - he does overrun the ball, regularly fail to get it off the floor when crossing, mis control fairly regularly, but as an attacking team we looked better today with his pace, he did play some nice passes (though far from consistently) and did fire off a couple of well hit shots.

He also puts in his stint defensively ---- and could well be a better right back than Behrami who was infinitely poorer today than Faubert (they've had one competitive game so no knee jerk reaction from me :lol: )
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

Romford wrote:Really...why don't you say that to my face and see what happens ??
I assume you're joking
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

[quote="saludo de carlitos"]I was impressed with faubert today and that is the best he has played in a west ham shirt.[/quote

yes its one of the first times h's worn 1 for nearly 90 minutes .

TGV my arse

ttt (thomas the tank) more like

your easily impressed are'nt you,

pleased we won, but its going to be a long hard winter
chalky

Post by chalky »

hawkins_hammer wrote:The defence bailed out the midfield today. Without Ashton all is lost. Sears looks to have improved over the summer though which is good. Wigan will not go down. Kapo is class.

Oh and Faubert has incredible technique and a sensible footballing brain based on today. We should stick by him until he comes good, which he will.
Agreed, he'll be fine.
myladswill

Post by myladswill »

Memorial Ground wrote: I assume you're joking

He's a moderator, he can say what he likes apparently.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I know that a lot of people would like to buy a creative midfielder but in the absence of that I would love to see a game with both faubert adjusted and on form with etherington having a good game on the other wing but if curbs is going to send the team out with that gameplan we really need to see parker and noble keep the ball and stand up to the physical stuff...after that game I think curbs will have a re-think about playing parker and noble together against the physical sides
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

chalky wrote:Jasuz 'effing Christ, what the f*** did AC say to the team at HT? Whatever it might have been Alan, keep your gob shut next time!

We were on cruise/auto pilot in the first half, and then it all went to pieces! BIG TIME!

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. How can we go from hero to zero in 15mins?

I was looking at maybe four, or even five, and then it all went tits up, and we were lucky to escape with the three points!

What happened? What happened! I wanna know.

That was f***ing silly, reckless, negative sh*t yet again.

I reiterate, the first half was fine, classy in parts, the second, totally careless rubbish. How? Why? How is that possible?

Talk about a 'game of two halves'!

I've learnt over the years to be thankful for small mercies, but to be hanging on on a 'wish and a prayer' at the death has an all too true familiarity about it. I've seen it way too often.

In the forces, it would be, rightly or wrongly, termed 'lack of moral fibre'.

No comment.

Three points in the bank though. Phew.
You echoed exactly what I put on here half way through the second half. I don't know how Curbs does it. We go in after playing really well and then come out with a negative attitude. However, it's the first game and I am holding judgement.

However, possibly one answer to this.

I wonder whether Curbs is afraid of losing so asks them to play more defensively which then leads to negative play and allows teams to come onto us. Just a theory, but this going into the lead (and normally a 2-0 one) and then chucking it away (or doing our hardest to chuck it away) is getting a little too common and I feel that nothing has changed from last season.

....must be positive. It's a win!!! Must be positive. Headbanger
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Marky wrote:
Simply dont understand how you could say that. Generally speaking he is always poor
It is strange the divide in opinion. i left the ground thinking he worked extremely hard, got in some good positions, put some good balls in and generally played well.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Jesus H Christ. It was a decent performance by two midtable teams that are not going to be anywhere near the top 6 this season. So what? Give Droopy some credit, despite seeing us overrun by Palacios and Lee ****ing Cattermole in midfield, he resisted the temptation to go 4-5-1 (which would have had everyone on here screaming blue bloody murder anyway) and stuck with two forwards. It was an entertaining game and a pretty typical ****ing West Ham performance anyway, so I can't quite understand all the teeth gnashing going on here. Oh, and Carlton ****ing Cole was superb.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

miles wrote:I can't quite understand all the teeth gnashing going on here.
If this is the reaction when we win... :shock:

Seems we have to win by three clear goals or it's like a funeral in here. Considering so many people expect us to be in a relegation battle, we should be absolutely over the moon with results like this.