West Ham Utd 2 Wigan Ath 1 (16/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan Ath: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

dodger wrote:Mostly UTJ I just object to being negative about West Ham winning a game, especially when you object so greatly to people booing the players after a win against Derby.
I'm touched that you follow my posts so closely - given that the one you refer to is four months old! Anyway, having cherry-picked the half-a-line of my post that could be perceived as negative, perhaps you'd also like another opportunity to comment on the first two lines of if, which were ...
Up the Junction wrote:Overall I thought we were fantastic at points in the first half - and a win's a win (and even more welcome because we never beat this lot at home)
dodger wrote:We won for goodness sake!
No arguments there ...
Up the Junction wrote:And we did it in a quite typical West Ham way: play brilliantly for a while, then let the other team back into it and almost throw it away.
Which is pretty much what I said, isn't it - so we're in agreement again!
Up the Junction wrote:To be honest I'd have been amazed had we played out the second half comfortably or extended our lead, as we have very rarely done that in the 15 years I've been watching us.
Sounds like a fairly negative attitude to me :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

H4g5ster wrote: You sad little man, I hope I never meet you.

Funnily you don't seem to want to meet me ...odd that with all the flannel here.

Same old South East London.....
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Back to the game. Just got done watching on tape delay. Stayed away from the internet all day, it killed me. Great result but a few things o worry about.

1. injuries as usual
2. Giving the ball away in midfield (as usual)
3. Set pieces were poorly taken
4. Marking at back left something to be desired

Not bad though all things considered altough we're going to be killed by the big clubs.
H4g5ster

Post by H4g5ster »

Romford wrote:
Funnily you don't seem to want to meet me ...odd that with all the flannel here.

Same old South East London.....
No flannel, Faubert got his first assist. What are you bringing to the table apart from empty threats?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

H4g5ster wrote: No flannel, Faubert got his first assist. What are you bringing to the table apart from empty threats?
I don't have to bring anything sonny...i just have to keep an eye on mugs like you calling people p**** names

Real tough guy :asleep:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

myladswill wrote:

He's a moderator, he can say what he likes apparently.
And you are another double standard mug who wants it both ways...just go elsewhere or put up

You do what some do on here...act up and abuse the people that give you the service.

Just go elsewhere...please.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

f*** me, have I logged into KUMB or Testosterone-online.com? :lol:

get a grip chaps, 'tis only the interweb
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Just got back from the living room, where the game was on tape delay.

The central midfield....ay ay ay. Noble and Parker are better than that. They were getting turned and run ragged throughout the whole game. That is the biggest problem it appears to me.

Cole looked class in the air and in defending but I wish his finishing was cleaner.

Faubert has sparks of brilliance but the consistency of runny jello

Sears and Ashton :thup:

Davenport is on a hot streak right now. Looked solid at the MLS game and looked very good today. Hope he continues this until Jar Jar comes back.

Lucas was better than he was in the preseason but still made me a bit nervous. Hopefully he has found himself too.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Memorial Ground wrote: I assume you're joking
Fed up with all this crap...mugs giving it the large behind keyboards.

It stops now...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

neilbob wrote:f*** me, have I logged into KUMB or Testosterone-online.com? :lol:

get a grip chaps, 'tis only the interweb
Fed up with this crap fella...as are a few other Mods.

People think they are somebody just because they type big words
Frodo Hammer

Post by Frodo Hammer »

Must be something in the water today!

Two guys in front of me decided they would give each other verbals and an offer to sort it out after the game and we virtually the same going on on here!!

Anyway, played well first half, and just didn't show up for the 2nd half! But for me the atmosphere was flat at the start of the second half including the crowd and i know a lot of fans don't want bubbles being played at the start of the 2nd half, but at least it would get every one going!

The again, 1st Game, we won (some experts would say that's the sign of a good team - winning despite being below par - alternatively just lucky), better than our start last season, and the spuds (father-in-law's team) lost, happy weekend!!! :crest: :lol: :raver:

Got over powered in the middle today and i can see why Ferguson was after the palascio (sp) Wigan No 5, Behrami did ok and will get better the more he adjusts to the pace of the game, faubert did some good things some bad and for me still too early to properly judge him, was impressed with Sears, looked really up for it and maybe an element of him saying to us and curbs, that you don't need to go out and get another forward, he looked sharpe and a bit stronger. Was quite impressed with that Zaki, the wigna forward, got a bit of pace, strength and a great finish, would not be surprised to see Wigan make that a permanent deal and if Kapo is available, worth a punt.
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Theres a certain irony to calling out people for hiding behind keyboards whilst throwing your own insults behind one. Unfortunately, we all have to use one to mud-sling on this forum and we all invariably become the definition of "keyboard warriors" when we vehemently disagree on here!

Now, lets settle our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream and feet up in front of the telly, waiting for our thirty seconds of fame with Lineker and Co. :thup:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Iron Spine v2.0 wrote:Theres a certain irony to calling out people for hiding behind keyboards whilst throwing your own insults behind one. Unfortunately, we all have to use one to mud-sling on this forum and we all invariably become the definition of "keyboard warriors" when we vehemently disagree on here!

Now, lets settle our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream and feet up in front of the telly, waiting for our thirty seconds of fame with Lineker and Co. :thup:

Irony ??

If you had the insults i had on here you be livid like me....

People like you have little digs but use the service which we provide which is double standards. Funny nobody ever talks to me like this in the ground or down the pub.

Sums far too many up on here these days...as many old respected posters who have left because of the mugs have said today.

Shall all the Mods go and you have a WHO ??

If you want that then just go there...otherwise you will just have to listen and abide although that still wont stop the nobodies giving the large....
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Oh **** it ...I can't be asked anymore.

How far downhill has this site gone memberwise Headbanger
rosecityhammer

Post by rosecityhammer »

Back online after having to hide out from the internet and text messages until I got to watch the match via tape delay here. Happy for the win and the points!!! I thought we looked much better in the first half than the second one. I thought Ashton, Cole (esp. defensively in the 2nd), Etherington (he seemed to lose steam though as time went on), and Davenport looked good. Faubert offered a few more chances than I expected. I hope Ashton's calf and ego (England snub) get well soon!
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Good result today...

But Wigan had most of the first half and were even more dominant in the second. Our ball retention and tackling in centre mid was pathetic, and we struggled all over the pitch with their strength (wow are they a large side!) once they got into the groove after 20 mins or so. Fortunately we were 2 up by then. :D

Thought Nobel was diabolical today. Defence looked shaky (eps behrami - let hope he is just takign a while to settle - surely a man that plays right back in Serie A cna defend?) and Davenport had his moments. taking a terrrible touch, getting caught wrongside and conceding a free kick on hte edge of the area for e.g.)
brewster
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by brewster »

bubbles1966 wrote:I can see where the criticism of faubert comes from - he does overrun the ball, regularly fail to get it off the floor when crossing, mis control fairly regularly, but as an attacking team we looked better today with his pace, he did play some nice passes (though far from consistently) and did fire off a couple of well hit shots.

He also puts in his stint defensively ---- and could well be a better right back than Behrami who was infinitely poorer today than Faubert (they've had one competitive game so no knee jerk reaction from me :lol: )
I'll tell you what Faubert's problems are. He's either trying too hard or he has not got any confidence. He took on a defender and got the ball to the bye-line only once throughout the whole match. When he's in possession, he's always looking to pass the ball as quickly as he can, like the proverbial hot potato and currently gives the ball away too often. You look next time he plays and you'll see what I mean. Tis a pity cos I would like to see him do really well and hope that he'll come good. Oh by the way, not impressed by Behrami today, but even he was better than Neill! Wigan deserved a point, if not more, but the most important fact was that we scored more than they did!
cavalier

Post by cavalier »

upton o'good wrote:Good result today...

But Wigan had most of the first half and were even more dominant in the second. Our ball retention and tackling in centre mid was pathetic, and we struggled all over the pitch with their strength (wow are they a large side!) once they got into the groove after 20 mins or so. Fortunately we were 2 up by then. :D

Thought Nobel was diabolical today. Defence looked shaky (eps behrami - let hope he is just takign a while to settle - surely a man that plays right back in Serie A cna defend?) and Davenport had his moments. taking a terrrible touch, getting caught wrongside and conceding a free kick on hte edge of the area for e.g.)
Wigan had most of the first half - you sure?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I must gallop to the rescue of the reputation of Mark Noble...

As the only midfielder who has the ability to receive the ball facing his own goal and do something other than push it back or sideways,he takes the responsibility of trying to do something meaningful and creative with it every time..this means retaining the ball and changing direction until he can find an opening....now by doing this he is liable to be dispossessed (although he does do the simple thing in most cases)..this shows him in a bad light compared with less adventurous soles.

But recall how he completely changed the direction of the attack to lay off the ball for Faubert to create our first goal.

His efforts will always have my backing.

Incidentally I feel he should play a more forward attacking role,like an old fashioned inside left..
Porfirio
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porfirio »

All of the comments about today's game seem to come down to one thing - fitness.

Midfield overrun (Parker and Noble), Etherington disappearing and it all getting worse as the game wore on.

Has our new medical staff arrived too late to have an impact?