West Ham Utd 2 Wigan Ath 1 (16/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Scaloni Is The Messiah

Re: West Ham Utd v Wigan Ath: match thread

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Dannyboylister wrote: I personally would have left the defence as it was and just put LBM or Bowyer on the right. I'm no manager but I do know if we had conceeded late on he would have been slated so much for that decision.
Probably would have been slated for bringing our only creative midfielder off for Bowyer too. I think he's just got to do his own thing and accept he's going to get slated whatever.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

prophet:marginal wrote: Man City and Blackburn are both quite interesting fixtures. I can see us sharing the points in both matches and would be pretty surprised if they both beat us, tbh.

City will be struggling without both Benjani and Vassell, basically hoping a pairing of two other players will do the damage.

From what I saw of Blackburn from MOTD, there's always going to be a shakiness to a team with Robinson in its back five.

What we 'save' from sacking Curbs surely gets swallowed up in the signing on costs of a new manager. And if they were so sure that this was an option a month ago, why wait to see what the results threw up?

If we lost our next two league games and went out to Macclesfield, maybe. Otherwise, I struggle to agree that they could, let alone will, adequately replace him.
I don't think he should go but if you look at all the signs then his time is limited.

- Bookies Favourite
- Fans on his back
- No money from the board
- Redknapp getting linked again from quite "in the know" sources.
- Crowds down on last season
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: Probably would have been slated for bringing our only creative midfielder off for Bowyer too. I think he's just got to do his own thing and accept he's going to get slated whatever.
You're not wrong mate.
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Well my view is that no serious judgement can be made after the first game. We won, that's all that counts.

After all Reading got a draw away at ManYoo first game last season - and look where they ended up.

Good win against bogey team (at home)

Let's see how things go from here
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Dannyboylister wrote: I don't think he should go but if you look at all the signs then his time is limited.

- Bookies Favourite
Hughes now occupies that slot and may be in a more precarious position if they go out of UEFA. What the bookies predict shouldn't be a reason to sack him
- Fans on his back
Those around me at the game were, like me, reasonably happy with yesterday's game. If we're already otherwise on his back, that reflects badly on us, imho.
Those two points together don't quite fit. Would Redknapp turn his back on perhaps his most potent strikeforce, immediately after having assembled it?
The first match was >32000, with a tiny away support, V down the road and mid-August holidays all rolled into one.

I too don't think he should go.

Far from it. I'm personally disappointed that is not possible that he won't be allowed to be judged on results. We had a fairly good run of them, in pre-season, and although it got a touch shaky in the face of a well-drilled fight back from Wigan, we still got the win.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

I don't think he should go but if you look at all the signs then his time is limited.

- Bookies Favourite
- Fans on his back
- Crowds down on last season[/quote]

well working on your above proviso , curbs isnt the only one ..there's

moyes

benitez

keegan

spent a bit of time yesterday atching curbs in the dugout, and comparing him to bruce, who was all over the placein

th technical area, curbs was in a coma

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Perhaps I'm at lunatic but I wouldn't be suprised to see us sitting with 9 points out of 9 at the end of August.

City are a technical team, with their front line currently AWOL - good time to play them, and in many ways they are more suited to us than Wigan.

Blackburn, Ince or not, well.....we always beat them. Again, they are not as athletic as Wigan....and it was their athleticism that caused us problems yesterday
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

chigwells finest wrote:I don't think he should go but if you look at all the signs then his time is limited.

- Bookies Favourite
- Fans on his back

well working on your above proviso , curbs isnt the only one ..there's

moyes

benitez

keegan

spent a bit of time yesterday atching curbs in the dugout, and comparing him to bruce, who was all over the placein

th technical area, curbs was in a coma

[/quote]

You got something you want to share with us? :wink:
Ridler

Post by Ridler »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, haven't read all the thread.

Wigan reminded me yesterday of the last team to wear nasty dayglow yellow shirts at UP, Sheff Utd of the late 80s. I thought in the second half they upped their tempo and put us under pressure in the air, especially with the long throw. Like I said, Wigan reminded me of a team in the old Wimbledon/Wednesday/Sheff Utd mold.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ridler wrote:Sorry if this has already been mentioned, haven't read all the thread.

Wigan reminded me yesterday of the last team to wear nasty dayglow yellow shirts at UP, Sheff Utd of the late 80s. I thought in the second half they upped their tempo and put us under pressure in the air, especially with the long throw. Like I said, Wigan reminded me of a team in the old Wimbledon/Wednesday/Sheff Utd mold.
I actually though they played some decent football...especially through the centre
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Romford wrote: I actually though they played some decent football...especially through the centre
I agree, I think we ran out of ideas. To be fair the difference in the first half was one good strike and a badly defended corner.

We just seemed static at times, with no invention. It was the tried and teated formula of hit it wide, run into a corner, win a set piece.

No one seemed to want to run at players with the ball.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

BH

Maybe that's because at times it seems we seem to lack anyone who actually can !!

:cry:
Ridler

Post by Ridler »

Romford wrote: I actually though they played some decent football...especially through the centre
I suppose so. The long throw did lead to their goal. We still can't defend them properly, I'm surprised more teams don't use the long throw against us.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I'm worried about Big Russ, he hasn't posted............I don't think he survived his first experience :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Probably still bladdered, or realised that supporting West Ham for ever is too depressing and has topped himself.

:lol:
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

bubbles1966 wrote:Perhaps I'm at lunatic but I wouldn't be suprised to see us sitting with 9 points out of 9 at the end of August.

City are a technical team, with their front line currently AWOL - good time to play them, and in many ways they are more suited to us than Wigan.

Blackburn, Ince or not, well.....we always beat them. Again, they are not as athletic as Wigan....and it was their athleticism that caused us problems yesterday
I might be wrong with this, but I don't think we won back to back games last season. So the last time we did would have been Bolton and Man Utd games to stay up.

Let's hope that changes on Sunday
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

davids cross wrote:I'm worried about Big Russ, he hasn't posted............I don't think he survived his first experience :lol:
I was just thinking the same... :shock:
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Palacios........ what a player. He is by far head and shoulder above anything else Wigan have at the moment with Valencia second and we just kept giving him all the time in the world to bring the ball forward and choose what he wanted to do (pass/shoot/cross)

also have to tip my hat to Carlton Cole. He gave Wigan problems all day long. Even so during the first half they tried to double up on him!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sanchoz wrote:Palacios........ what a player. He is by far head and shoulder above anything else Wigan have at the moment with Valencia second and we just kept giving him all the time in the world to bring the ball forward and choose what he wanted to do (pass/shoot/cross)

also have to tip my hat to Carlton Cole. He gave Wigan problems all day long. Even so during the first half they tried to double up on him!
Palacios was apparently signed by Bruce on a tip from Wenger........ Bruce was after Flamini but Flamini wouldn't go to Birmingham (understandable) and Palacios was on trial with Arsenal