BMT: West Ham Utd 1 Villarreal 1 (09/08/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Re: West Ham vs Villarreal: Match Thread

Post by bluebutterfly »

upton girlie wrote:Image

How big were those t-shirts on the kids :D
Maybe they want them to grown into them :lol:

The one minute clap
Who was that for???

Gooaaaaal.. :raver:
lukewhitt

Post by lukewhitt »

Was a good game, hopefully will be a sign for things to come...as long as we can score some more.

Did anyone know what the trouble was in the BM stand? We saw some fella get carted off in handcuffs but couldn't work out what happened [we were in DM stand, upper tier] My curiosity needs to be satisfied :lol:
THORNE_X

Post by THORNE_X »

my friend will know as he was a steward in that corner.. first day bless him
jevs
Has liked: 473 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by jevs »

I am Lawro wrote:Just got back from the match. Really pleased, we look ready for the new season.

Green 8- How he is constantly overlooked by England I don't know. Brilliant keeper.

Neill 7- Consistent through the match, looked good at right and left back.

Upson 7- His usual reliable self.

Davenport 7/8- Really impressed me today. Didn't think he had it in him.

Thatcher 7- Hasn't got a great deal going forward, but was very solid at the back. Today was his chance to impress, and he certainly did that.

Behrami 9- Seems to have everything. Speed, determination, tackling, trickery, crossing. Equally impressive at right mid and right back.

Parker 8- Our midfield is far better with him in it.

Noble 6- Was a bit anonymous for some parts of the game but in other parts did very well.

Etherington 8/9- By the looks of things, has gone back to being the Etherington of old and then some. For once he seemed to be successfuly tracking back and tackling people!

Cole 6- Good goal, then did....... well, nothing really.

Ashton 6- See Noble.

Subs-

Bowyer 6- Did pretty well for someone who still isn't at full fitness.

Faubert 3/4- As much as I would love to say differently, he was horseshit today. Almost uncountable amount of times he gave the ball away. Saying this, he did (very occasionaly) show glipses of what could be to come from him. I'll reserve judgement on this one.

Reid 8/9- Seems to have FINALLY made the step up. Made Villereal's right back look a complete mug on occasions, great pace and some good delivery. This could be the season we start to see more of him. Certainly have him as back up left mid instead of Boa-Morte.

Sears 7- Goal disallowed, not too sure whether it was offside or not. Good movement and generally a good performance in the limited time he was given.

Hines 5- To be fair, he didn't have much time to do anything.

Overall, very pleased with the performance today and looking forward to Wigan.
Just got back from the game and totally agree with everything said above. I thought Faubert was absolute cack today....i don't think he got a single cross in.

Behrami was superb when playing wide midfield but faded a bit in the second half at right back.

One thing that did concern me was our strikers. Cole held the ball up ok but wasn't in it (i know he kind of playing a deeper role first half) but i really thought Ashton looked slow and uninterested. He needs to start chasing a few lost causes....closing down the ball a bit better, today, he seemed to have other things on his mind :think:

Matty was electric today and Parker threw himself at everything.

Davenport played very well too.

Parker or Matty would probably get my MotM.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

jevs wrote:He needs to start chasing a few lost causes.
Isn't that pointless though? Why would Ashton waste his energy running down balls he knows he is never going to get? It's a waste of his time and energy. I know the fans like our players to put themselves about but at the end of the day chasing down the balls he's never going to get isn't helping anyone and it's definitely not playing to Ashtons strengths.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

lukewhitt wrote:
Did anyone know what the trouble was in the BM stand? We saw some fella get carted off in handcuffs but couldn't work out what happened [we were in DM stand, upper tier] My curiosity needs to be satisfied :lol:
All we could see where that some people where enjoying a 'climbing the gates/sides session' - kind of a tribute to Rob Greens recent Kilimanjaro expedition perhaps? :wink:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Arch Dandy wrote: Isn't that pointless though? Why would Ashton waste his energy running down balls he knows he is never going to get? It's a waste of his time and energy. I know the fans like our players to put themselves about but at the end of the day chasing down the balls he's never going to get isn't helping anyone and it's definitely not playing to Ashtons strengths.
I agree, lost causes are called lost causes for a reason. People who go chasing lost causes are stupid. I should know as thats what I've been doing for the last 3 months. Thats why I'm getting pissed tonight.
HollzTheHammer

Post by HollzTheHammer »

Where the hell were the Villareal fans today?!?

Green- Actually saved a header that was about two ft away, with the top of his shoulder :lol: did very well at one point to come off of his line and block a shot. 8

Neill- I can't believe no ones mentioned about 3 or 4 passes of his that went straight to a villareal player just outside our box, gets pulled out of position way to much couldn't deal with their RW when he was at left back. I lost count of the times i saw parker/noble/ upson cover for him. The RW by the way 18 or 11 i think, looked very good, or maybe just bacause he was up against neill... :think: 5

Davernport- I thought he played well today, very solid. 7

Upson- Great game, his passing today was excellent. 8

Thatcher- If he wasn't a complete c*nt (or look like a 45 year old herion addict), i wouldn't mind him as cover for McCartney, but i'd rather we got the french bloke in. 6

Behrami- Fantastic signing, really looks good. work rate is great and so is his tackling. 8

Noble- Glad to see him ping some good balls around, he does it for the U21's all the time and i'm glad he's being more attack minded. 7

Parker- Will throw himself at everything, one block from a free kick in particular was very good work. Made a great tackle in our box in the first half. Spends a bit too much time on the ball (yes you've guessed it, by spinning around in a circle.) 7

Etherington- Was really good today, was the main source for most of our attacking play during the first half. 8

Cole- I thought he played well, was made to go out on the right for most of the first half, with Behrami playing in the middle. Fantastic work rate as usual, made a memorable run down the left channel in the second half. But needs to be more of a threat on goal. (Yes even though he scored) 7

Ashton- It's always hard to judge Ashton because he can look like a lazy sod one minute and then score a goal the next. He does look fit though which is a big plus but didn't really have an effect on the game. 6

Faubert- The thing is with faubert is he hardly ever gets the ball passed through for him to use his pace and run onto, and his pace is one of the things that we need to utalise. He did loose possesion a few times, but tested the GK with a curling FK and had a powerfull shot saved. 6

Bowyer- I didn't really notice him :lol:

Reid- What can i say, the boy looked brilliant. He made their rightback look like titus bramble, he got past him on a number of occations showing his pace, but he also has very good ball control. One draw back would be that right at the end of the game we had a golden oppotunity to win when Hines was in the middle virtually unmarked, with only 1 defender between them, and Reid crossed it right into the path of the defender. 8

Overall i think it was a good game and a very promising performance before the start of the season. We actually looked and played like a team, it is a real shame that bellamys injured but if today was anything to go by then we should be able to cope without him for a month or so.

Oh and i forgot, Rob Styles- complete knob. 1

and can anyone tell me why our second was disallowed?
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

When reid came on, he looked very sharp whizzing down the wing taking defenders on, hes definatley improved.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Arch Dandy wrote:Isn't that pointless though? Why would Ashton waste his energy running down balls he knows he is never going to get? It's a waste of his time and energy. I know the fans like our players to put themselves about but at the end of the day chasing down the balls he's never going to get isn't helping anyone and it's definitely not playing to Ashtons strengths.
Ashton running would be a start. He barely moved all half and was a good 10-15 yards off the play anytime we broke away. Twice Etherington made good breaks, but there was no one in support of him.

It was good to see ths change in the second half with Reid, Sears and Hines all giving us a bit of pace on the break. Why we didn't start with Ashton/Cole + Sears/Hines then switch it in teh second half I don't know. A real wasted opportunity.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

hammer2192 wrote:When reid came on, he looked very sharp whizzing down the wing taking defenders on, hes definatley improved.
My dad and I both said the same. Worth a few games from the bench this season.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

lukewhitt wrote:Was a good game, hopefully will be a sign for things to come...as long as we can score some more.

it happened in the row behind me so saw what happened. There was a guy with his two kids having to put up with some really stupid comments from the man behind him and him blowing his smoke in the face of the kids (not trying to blow it upward) and showing a real arrogance. Then a guy in a couple of rows infront of me stood up and started bollocking the smoking man and standing up for the guy who was really restraining himself as he had his children with him. The man who was restraining himself had enough and lamped the guy a few times before he got pulled away and the smoking man was getting shouted at for being a mug from all directions before he got led away.

The man with his children was allowed to return to his seat about 5 minutes later.

Also Matty with his tail up, willing to run down the channel/cut inside when needed. If only he can stay fit!
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

upton girlie wrote: All we could see where that some people where enjoying a 'climbing the gates/sides session' - kind of a tribute to Rob Greens recent Kilimanjaro expedition perhaps? :wink:
My season ticket seats were very close to this incident, but i believe it was just a argument between 2 west ham supporters, a man close by claimed there was 2 west ham suppoters fighting or having an argument in the southampton friendly about spector. That man who told the story was very angry with todays incident and started the chant ''chuck him out.......''
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Heysel76 wrote:I know we had at least 2 bookings as i only saw the 2nd half.
Do these carry over to the Premiership?
Hope not!
Unfortunately they do.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

Some stuff from this afternoon:

Merv offers the groundsman 20 mins in the second half...

"Dear Gnome - I've just eaten your KitKat"

bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

Who was the minutes applause for??
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Bobby Moore who else? :shock:

I'm not surprised Ashton wasn't charging around all over the pitch for a pre season friendly against a physical team well up for cynical fouls. Behrami was MOTM for me, what a potentialy great signing for a reletively small fee. His mugging of Senna in the second half was a fantastic moment. BTW what a plonker Jeremy Nicholas was calling the white Villarreal captain Senna at the cup presentation :lol:
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt

Post by bluebutterfly »

KIALOS wrote:Bobby Moore who else? :shock:

I'm not surprised Ashton wasn't charging around all over the pitch for a pre season friendly against a physical team well up for cynical fouls. Behrami was MOTM for me, what a potentialy great signing for a reletively small fee. His mugging of Senna in the second half was a fantastic moment. BTW what a plonker Jeremy Nicholas was calling the white Villarreal captain Senna at the cup presentation :lol:
Sorry but wasn't there and wasnt given any information on the mins applause. So i didn't know :oops:
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Was that today's mascot in the fifth picture down Gnome?......... :wink:

Sears only looks about 11! I'm surprised Deano doesn't nick his dinner money.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

bluebutterfly wrote: Sorry but wasn't there and wasnt given any information on the mins applause. So i didn't know :oops:
No worries :D