Sunderland 0 West Ham Utd 1 (23/11/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Sunderland 0 West Ham Utd 1 (23/11/08)

Post by bubbles1966 »

4-4-2 please Fonzie. No more of this 4-3-3 crap.

Green: Neill - Collins - Upson - Ilunga: Behrami - Collison - Parker - Etherington: Cole - Bellamy:

Subs: Lastuvka - Faubert - Davenport - Mullins - Sears - Boa Morte - Reid

Not sure about the midfield - could easily go for Faubert and Boa Morte to give us plenty of oomph in the challenge.....

Result:
Entirely down to Fonzie's judgement. Its winnable and loseable on the basis of tactics.....he gets 10k a week so I dont see why I should predict it for nothing...
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Re: Sunderland v West Ham Utd -

Post by Tel The Hammer »

How about Faubert on the left?. :think:
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

I personally would love to see Behrami in the centre. I think he plays his best football there, he's not really a wide player. That'd mean dropping Parker as Collison is in form at the moment, so next Sunday, I'd go with the same team as today, apart from the afore-mentioned change. Agree with you on the 4-4-2 though, we just haven't got the players to play 4-4-3. Aside from that, we played much much better in the second half today when Zola took Sears off and brought Ethers on, despite the fact that Matty was pretty useless. I'd put Bellars in the hole and Cole in front of him.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tel The Hammer wrote:How about Faubert on the left?. :think:
I'm getting to the point that I think Reid should get some time. He looked like he'd stepped up a notch or two in pre and early season...
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

can we see Tristan please.
WH_RM

Post by WH_RM »

hornsey wrote:can we see Tristan please.
no.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: I'm getting to the point that I think Reid should get some time. He looked like he'd stepped up a notch or two in pre and early season...
Reid's nowhere near prem standard. We should of got shot of him years ago IMO.

I still have faith in Faubert, not much faith at RB, but as a winger I still believe he could prove to be quite handy for us.

I'd have Boa Morta in against Sunerland over Ethers, as he was just simply appalling today. I felt LBM did ok against Everton too.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Tel The Hammer wrote:
Reid's nowhere near prem standard. We should of got shot of him years ago IMO.

I still have faith in Faubert, not much faith at RB, but as a winger I still believe he could prove to be quite handy for us.

I'd have Boa Morta in against Sunerland over Ethers, as he was just simply appalling today. I felt LBM did ok against Everton too.
Agree largely. Just felt that Reid did well against Villareal, and was good in the Carling against admittedly poor opposition.

Etherington stank the place out today....while LBM hasn't been at all bad the last two games....might be much better against Malbranque and Chimbonda...

Faubert is fine by me....he just needs to play right wing...not right back.......
neil_d
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by neil_d »

It's my birhday on that day and I'll be heading over there with my mate (Wednesday fan - honourary hammer for the day) so I'm hoping for a great pressie.... :D
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

hornsey wrote:can we see Tristan please.
You'll be lucky....as he hasn't been near the first team since we signed him....I think that tells it's own story. :?
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Big, big Game this one..

Can't lose & i don't reckon we will...

Not sure if we'll win it though so i'll go for another 0-0 but i'd love us to sneak a winner..

VIDIPRINTER

GOAL Sunderland......0-1........West Ham ( Ferdinand OG 90 Mins )

:lol:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Dear Franco, all be it for me to give a great player like yourself a wee bit of advice, but I will anyway :wink:

STOP trying to get the players to fit the system, pick the system that best suits the players.

Two of our biggest goal threats are wasted in a 443, Bellamy and Sears are just not suited to it. Both are best playing up top on the shoulders of players, Sears in particular is ruined by it. And Collison looked half the player he was last week (v Everton) without the freedom of a system he knew and understood.......My team for Sunderland.

.......................................................Green...........................................

Neill...........................Upson.............................Ginge.............................Illunga

Faubert/Behrami..............Collison....................Parker............................Boa

................................... Cole.....................Bellamy

If it had been a home game I would have replaced Cole with Sears but away from home we will need a hold up merchant, so Cole for his physical attributes gets the nod.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Well, this is the fixture I look forward to each season. It's my tyne/wear derby. Normally I'm straight in there getting a ticket but due to a (very) expensive house move that never happened I couldn't afford the ticket for the short journey down to Scumerland.

Luckily my gaurdian angel was watching over me last week and I've managed to blag 2 tickets in a box (with strict instructions - no colours, no cheering when west ham score and please do not join in when your lot start sing "dirty northern b*stard" - hmmmm....can't promise anything.)

Would prefer to be in the away end instead of being behind enemy lines but at least I'm there. I'm really hoping that we'll play a 4-4-2 and dig out a win (as long as we play better than we did last season at SOL). Couldn't face going to work the next day in scumderland if we lost.
EssexIron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by EssexIron »

iloveyoudailly wrote:I personally would love to see Behrami in the centre. I think he plays his best football there, he's not really a wide player. That'd mean dropping Parker as Collison is in form at the moment, so next Sunday, I'd go with the same team as today, apart from the afore-mentioned change. Agree with you on the 4-4-2 though, we just haven't got the players to play 4-4-3. Aside from that, we played much much better in the second half today when Zola took Sears off and brought Ethers on, despite the fact that Matty was pretty useless. I'd put Bellars in the hole and Cole in front of him.

4-4-3, would we get away with that?
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Green

Neill(c) Collins Upson Ilunga

Stanislas Collison Mullins Reid

Sears Cole

SUBS: Lastuvka Tomkins Lopez Behrami LBM Bellamy Tristan
whuirons18

Post by whuirons18 »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Well, this is the fixture I look forward to each season. It's my tyne/wear derby. Normally I'm straight in there getting a ticket but due to a (very) expensive house move that never happened I couldn't afford the ticket for the short journey down to Scumerland.

Luckily my gaurdian angel was watching over me last week and I've managed to blag 2 tickets in a box (with strict instructions - no colours, no cheering when west ham score and please do not join in when your lot start sing "dirty northern b*stard" - hmmmm....can't promise anything.)

Would prefer to be in the away end instead of being behind enemy lines but at least I'm there. I'm really hoping that we'll play a 4-4-2 and dig out a win (as long as we play better than we did last season at SOL). Couldn't face going to work the next day in scumderland if we lost.

coming from a fellow geordie i couldnt agree more. i hate losing against the mackems! such a shame it seems to happen quite a lot!! I never hear the end of it what with all my mates being newcastle fans...
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

I reckon we'll win, hopefully playing 4-4-2 as others have stated; we clearly do not play well in the system based on the results we've achieved. I doubt we'll keep a clean sheet though, Sunderland have some fairly decent attacking players, just hopefully we'll score more than they do :D :crest:
best tever

Post by best tever »

'stone hammer wrote:I reckon we'll win, hopefully playing 4-4-2 as others have stated; we clearly do not play well in the system based on the results we've achieved. I doubt we'll keep a clean sheet though, Sunderland have some fairly decent attacking players, just hopefully we'll score more than they do :D :crest:
Yeah im hoping for a change in formation , the main problem is that bellers is our best attacking option and he is playing out of position.
If we keep 4-3-3 we will draw
If we change to 4-4-2 we will win 2-0 with bellers getting both.
I am law

Post by I am law »

Just do what we did at the Riverside.

Collison is the one shining light for me, so I'd personally put him central with Parker. Sunderland are strong in other areas of the pitch, but I am not sure that Andy Reid is better than my selections.

Behrami and LBM right and left. Two people prepared to track back are essential and they both are.

Cole with Bellamy. Don't think Linda played in their recent match and they may still be missing Gordon. We're hardly able to mock, but Sunderland rarely keep a clean sheet.

No change back 5. Ginge vs Jones is a fairly heavy-weight encounter. Cisse is quick. Green needs to have another good game I reckon.

Planned changes would involve Mullins at some stage and Sears.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Sunderlands main threat (as widely reported up here in the local press) is Jones and Cisse.

The keeper isn't up to much, Anton isn't going down brilliantly along with the rest of the defence. Linda has come in for a slating over recent weeks. The midfield has had no substance in the past few games.

The main attacking force is the long ball up to Jones. Counter that and we have a chance. I personally think Upson man marking Jones would be the sensible option.

The funny thing is, we were slating Curbs for being too defensive with his 4-5-1 and now we're slating Zola for his 4-3-3. Can we at least go for the compromise of 4-4-2.

Also, just a quick one if hasn't been posted on here already. Special mention for Anton. He did a 24 hours silence last week for Children in Need raising a few grand in the process. In the interviews he did afterwards, he said it was the most difficult thing he has ever done!!