Liverpool 0 West Ham Utd 0 (01/12/08)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Liverpool vs West Ham United : Match Thread

Post by w4hammer »

just got back...****ing roadworks all over the shop. Headbanger Headbanger

great night out..never really felt threatened- Cardiff here we come had it spot on just above. Upson and Colins did well. Thought peperami in his normal bustling pain in the ass way did well.. Faubert was probably as bad as ive ever seen him and thats saying something! Green had one of his very good games ( kicking was *****)

cracking result, all ends up...nicely set-up for next monday now!

when o when are we going to score tho?!
stickycotteepudding
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by stickycotteepudding »

Chuffed with that result. Wasn't the most attacking display from us, but showed some real sings of improvement and the defence at long last seemed to be steadying.

Bellers was unlucky with his long range effort and perhaps Cole and LBM could have done more with there chances. But nevermind, another point and back to back clean sheets!
woodstockhammer

Post by woodstockhammer »

I ain't about to go running naked through the streets screaming "we've cracked it" but I too am well happy with the point we picked up at Anfield.
I have to say it seems that it was all totally down to the back 4, to hold off Liverpool when they had nearly 70% possession throughout the game is no small feat.
So, once again, even though I know better, I do see some light at the end of the tunnel especially as those on the injured list seem to be making none to soon recoveries.
looking forward to seeing Dyer having a game soon.
Claret & Blue World
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Claret & Blue World »

I am law wrote: :lol:
anyone else catch this c*** shamelessly throwing himself on the edge of the box towards the end in order to milk a free or peno.

cheating prick of a man :evil:
caramelcod
Location: Back in Chadwell Heath after a couple of years exiled in Leamington Spa

Post by caramelcod »

If he'd snapped his leg or tendon there i would've have shot my load
ROD-Hammer

Post by ROD-Hammer »

Great result. Going to a place like Liverpool its your defence you need to be on top form and they was today. Belamy also played the best iv seen this season. Cole seems to be happy to run his new 5 year deal down by playing **** (as he has every game since he signed it). Upson and Collins once again unbeliveable.

When we first signed Steve Clarke everyone was saying what a signing and now with 3 cleens sheets in a row he is really starting to earn his money :D

Well done boys now lets fuk up the scum on Monday!!!!!!!!! :raver: :crest:
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

:lol:
'OH NO, I BROKE MY LEG'
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

Great point , didnt see the game , please tell me the great travelling hammers fans chanting ;
"Feed the scousers , let them know it christmas time :lol:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Good result that. We didn't offer much going forward but seeing as the lino seemed intent on flagging every time we tried to spring the offside trap, irrespective of whether we were offside or not, I guess it was of little relevance. Keeping three clean sheets on the trot is excellent and Bellamy had his best game for us in a while.

Ilunga needs to spend the rest of the week training in a straight jacket to prevent him conceding penalties.

Well done to those who went up there as well, probably our best performers on the night.
I am law

Post by I am law »

If Bellamy had a better strike partner, or we played that game with some kind of winger (ie no Faubert, but Etherington), does anyone who saw the whole game think last night was in fact the night we might have broken the 45 year long duck?

I don't want to sound miserable after another clean sheet and the slow but sure progress that 13th place brings (in comparison with the numb feeling of dread after Everton (h)), but from the radio it sounded as if the last 10 minutes were given over to wild shooting from LFC and the odd chance for us any decent striker may in fact have buried.

If we sell any of the new defensive Bermuda triangle - enter therein at your peril - of Green, Upson and Collins - this window, the board will want shooting.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

(OK. Extra time. Sorry. )
Anyway: I was really moved to hear the Bubbles song from Anfield yesterday. Terrific support!
Reni

Post by Reni »

An excellent performance at the back again I was also encouraged with our (limited play) once we did win the ball in defence instead hoofing the ball aimlessly up the pitch inviting pressure staright back on to the defence I thought we played the channels well and retained possession much more than we usally did under Curbs, Bellers and Behrami did well in this respect.

I assume we will employ the same game plan against Chelsea having watched their game against the @rse on Sunday I think we could be in with a shout of a point at the Bridge if we repeat yesterday's performance..
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

I am law wrote: If we sell any of the new defensive Bermuda triangle - enter therein at your peril - of Green, Upson and Collins - this window, the board will want shooting.
I genuinely feel we are a striker and winger short of being a decent side....We have a solid spine in the three that you mention with Parker and Behrami in midfield.

If the board flog any of those five....then I despair.
I am law

Post by I am law »

smuts wrote: I genuinely feel we are a striker and winger short of being a decent side....We have a solid spine in the three that you mention with Parker and Behrami in midfield.

If the board flog any of those five....then I despair.
Check - add Bellamy to those five and if he can start scoring, we have a half dozen players that can actually play to a high standard, much higher than some of the dross in the Prem at the moment.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Reni wrote: I thought we played the channels well and retained possession much more than we usally did under Curbs,
Do you really think so ? I thought our ball retention was pretty poor to be honest as it was at Sunderland. We give the ball way far too easily. It's a part of the game that could certainly be improved upon away from home.
otter_of_despair

Post by otter_of_despair »

I also agree that we give up possession too easily, had me shouting at my screen a few times and we were even worse against Sunderland!
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Thought the two centre backs were immense last night. Illunga was scaring the hell outta me in the first fifteen minutes..how many handballs!!! but he seemed pretty calm on the ball and worthy of the credit he seems to be getting. Thought Parker and Mullins played well too although we really lacked a bit of vision in the middle. Faubert I was dissappointed with, Behrami was slightly better. Cole was a nuisance off the ball, with the ball though he did nothing.

Agreed, that for a top of the league club they were very subdued.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

i thought we looked marginally better than against sunderland when playing the ball out (although still needs a lot of improvement) but were awful at keeping possession when the ball went into the liverpool half - mostly due to mr carlton f**king lazy cole...i've never been a great fan but his workrate and determination had started to win me over - not any more. mullins, faubert and a few others have got a little bit of stick for last night and although they made some mistakes with Cole you almost feel that there was no benefit of having him on the pitch at all....i dearly hope someone gives him a well deserved kick up the @rse....
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I'm obviously chuffed to bits with a point at Anfield but it really hacks me off when we could have taken 3 points if only we had a striker!!

We've been here before not too long ago. Solid defence and midfield working their socks off only to be frustrated because the likes of CFC and LBM can't get the ball in the net. When Deano's around he might get one from time to time, then again he might be utter dross. Bellers seems to be equally prone to good month/bad month syndrome. All the cheap suckers we bring in have one flash-in-the-pan good day and then disappear never to be seen again.

Strikes me that we're doing a pretty good job of getting the ball in the right place from which the missing striker/poacher would slot it home. I mean what does it take for us to have just one recognised striker who stays fit and is able to hit the net with a reasonable frequency? Every other club's got one, why can't we?!?!?!

While we're at it. Someone who's dangerous with free-kicks and corners would be the icing on the cake. Like the guy said above somewhere - a striker and winger. Not too much to ask is it. Then we could start celebrating our first victory at Anfield in 45 years instead of creaming our pants over a draw.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

scatts wrote: While we're at it. Someone who's dangerous with free-kicks and corners would be the icing on the cake. Like the guy said above somewhere - a striker and winger. Not too much to ask is it.
to be honest we've been asking for them for over a year now (definitely on this forum at least) and still no sign.....can't see any turning up in january unless BG goes or we sell parker, upson or green to finance it

BG out