Newcastle Utd 2 West Ham Utd 2 (10/01/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2609 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Re: Newcastle v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by pablo jaye »

Can't believe that I read this quote about us -

"We know what quality West Ham have got," he said. "When you look at their team you can see why they're a good team away from home. What they're able to do is keep good possession, they've got very good footballers and they've got that threat up front with Cole and Bellamy - the physical presence with Cole and the pace of Bellamy.

It was Barcodes assistant Chris Hughton, someone who's been around a bit and has in the past probably been part of a sieve-like Hammers defence on the road.

Good performance from the chaps and it gives me greater confidence in Zola/Clarke - they are doing well. Also an honourable mention to the away support - I listened on 5 live and 'bubbles' and 'olas' came out crystal clear - even with dodgy AM tuning!! :clap:
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

Essex bill wrote:Did you take your telescope to the game Geordie Hammer? :shock: Bet that was nippy up there?!
It was unbelievably cold.

I watched MOTD last night and wondered whether the BBC were at a different match as it didn't reflect the game I was at. They made it look like Toon had equal to most of the play. We had some extremely good chances that weren't included (Cole getting denied by a last gasp challenge similar to the one we made in the final minute).

One thing I forgot to mention was Given. The save that bloke pulled off from Collison was top draw. We all thought it was a dead cert goal.

Also, there has been some debate about Chelsea songs being sung when we're not playing Chelsea. Blue flag was sung once, as was "Where ever you may be" with a sprinkling of "One Mana couldn't carry". Apart from that it was wall to wall good old West Ham songs (Including a sustained Chitty Chitty Bubbles)

Thought some of the spontaneous chants were quality. Special mentioned for the lads at the back who chirped up with "We've got our steward back" half way through the second half
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Watched extended highlights on sky last night and we look a really good side. Great passing and movement and real pace and threat up front. I do, however, think that Ginge needs to get stronger at the back and concentrate at all times and work a bit on his positioning, but apart from that, I think we're looking great. Was very disappointed we didn't come away with all 3 points as we should have scored on at least 2 other occasions as well
jon253

Post by jon253 »

Congratulations to all the fans that went - their support was immense - came over on sound brilliantly, even the commentators said you were very vocal, much more that the Toon!

:crest:
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

shaunieboy wrote: I noticed when the taxi stopped at the lights , it was on in the White Hart on the corner , was you in there ?
Nope, in Bow but don't want to post the name of the Boozer here
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2652 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: Away Support...you did us proud

Post by EvilC »

KIALOS wrote:It's difficult to say because they were so far away, a tall black player who I am assuming was Cole did come towards us and a couple othes moved in our direction but the rest just walked off at the halfway line.
Ilunga on stilts? :wink:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

They mentioned how good the support was on the radio or internet stream I had on.

They even said there wasn't a spare seat to be seen amongst the Hammers support :thup:

and to think some have said that Hartlepool tickets will make it past priority points :think:
Last edited by Pop Robson on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reynaldo28

Post by Reynaldo28 »

Geordie Hammer wrote:Couple of pictures from the game

My little Hammer

Unfortunately, the zoom wasn't good enough to pick up any of the action on the pitch

Bottom picture bottom left there is me, and my girlfriend, she is wearing the adidas jacket :D

jon253 wrote:Congratulations to all the fans that went - their support was immense - came over on sound brilliantly, even the commentators said you were very vocal, much more that the Toon!

:crest:
This girl told me she couldn't here the west ham fans, and she was at the match, think she's deaf :lol:
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

bobo wrote:Would I be going too far in saying that Matty Upson is WORLD-CLASS!! I really do actually mean that, he is a fu#king class act.
Yes.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

I was pleased that Cole faced us with his arms in the air, after scoring.
MacWHUFC

Post by MacWHUFC »

Great game atmosphere was immense per usual, didn't think we got that many tickets couldn't believe it when i came up and looked right around the away end :D Lets hope for 3 points next week so we go into two tougher games with our heads high

Come On You Irons :crest:
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

MacWHUFC wrote:Great game atmosphere was immense per usual, didn't think we got that many tickets couldn't believe it when i came up and looked right around the away end :D Lets hope for 3 points next week so we go into two tougher games with our heads high

Come On You Irons :crest:
My thoughts exactly. There seemed to be more than usual in the away end. Did we have the allocation increased?? It was a great turnout.

I spoke to a few guys who were sat up in the rafters of the Gallowgate end who said they couldn't hear us. But then they said they never get to hear anything up there and can only just see the goal at the Leazes end. We'll have to try harder next year. :lol:

I thought the police funneling operation after the game was pointless too. Directing us out round the back of the stand and then letting us back in under the Milburn to let us mingle with the home lot. I thought it defeated the object of the operation to be honest
MacWHUFC

Post by MacWHUFC »

Geordie Hammer wrote: My thoughts exactly. There seemed to be more than usual in the away end. Did we have the allocation increased?? It was a great turnout.

I spoke to a few guys who were sat up in the rafters of the Gallowgate end who said they couldn't hear us. But then they said they never get to hear anything up there and can only just see the goal at the Leazes end. We'll have to try harder next year. :lol:

I thought the police funneling operation after the game was pointless too. Directing us out round the back of the stand and then letting us back in under the Milburn to let us mingle with the home lot. I thought it defeated the object of the operation to be honest

I aint to sure to be honest fella about the allocation but i thought their was much more then 3000 there! Was a great day if we could of just held on for the remainder, but thats all part of West Ham i guess
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Something I noticed yesterday when watching the game -- doesn't Green's distribution look much improved versus the first of the season? Not that he was bad before, but the throws out of the box (except for one instance) were superb and helped start up some good runs from Bellamy. I remember that, when he was England's number 6, a lot of the criticism was over his control of the box and his distribution. If yesterday is any indication, he has fixed the latter issue.
MacWHUFC

Post by MacWHUFC »

Gator_Hammer wrote:Something I noticed yesterday when watching the game -- doesn't Green's distribution look much improved versus the first of the season? Not that he was bad before, but the throws out of the box (except for one instance) were superb and helped start up some good runs from Bellamy. I remember that, when he was England's number 6, a lot of the criticism was over his control of the box and his distribution. If yesterday is any indication, he has fixed the latter issue.
Me and my mate were discussing this and said it was much better him throwing the ball rather then last season were he was just kicking it out and it was just coming straight back at us, One thing yesterday was Greens positioning was not great compared to usual, the first goal I know Owen should never have to the shot in but thought Green could of done better. Other times such as Carrol's header that missed in the first half. He looked a bit off yesterday compared to usual IMO
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Thoroughly enjoyed my first-ever visit to the "hot-bed of football" (sic). f*** me, that was a long climb up to our section though! Good performance by the team, but a bit disappointed by the way we sat back after taking the lead. Two excellent finishes by our strike pairing, especially CC's bullet shot down below us.

Fans were in fine form. Seems like we had fans from all corners of the British Isles there. At the game, I was stood next to a bloke from Wales who'd flown up from Bristol, and back at Newcastle Airport while waiting for a delayed flight back to Heathrow, there was a bunch of Irish Hammers heading back to Dublin, who helped us pass some time at the bar until our flight was ready (we nearly missed it after having to wait an extra 90 minutes for it :oops: )
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Good Weekend

Great performance

Top turn out

God knows what the plod were up to afterwards sending us the long way around the whole bloody stadium Headbanger

Great to meet a few Northern fans who post on here :thup:
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Romford mate, do you use any Instant Messaging programs at all? I want to have a chat to a mod about something in a bit more detail but nobody seems really available whenever I try.
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

2nd visit to NUFC for me, both been 2-2 draws (last time we were winning 2-0 two years ago), I love the fact the ground is in the middle of the town centre, reminds me of the Millenium Stadium to a degree. After the game there seemed to be Hammers fans everywhere. Even on the way home this morning, the two Service stations we visited were full of Claret & Blue, as if we'd played em played today :thup:
issi

Post by issi »

Romford wrote:Good Weekend

God knows what the plod were up to afterwards sending us the long way around the whole bloody stadium Headbanger
Thought that was a bit strange, but it actualy worked well for us, by the time we got back to the station we got straight on the train to Whitley Bay, cant imagine being able to do that at UP station ( the walking onto the train bit, I know it dont go to Whitley Bay :wink: )