Newcastle Utd 2 West Ham Utd 2 (10/01/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

I am law

Re: Newcastle v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by I am law »

The positives from this match:

1. Cole scores again
2. Bellamy's little injury might mean he's less likely to be sold
3. We hardly ever get anything from SJP, so a point is decent
4. None of our serious competitors in the table had a better result than us
5. We didn't fold, like in the past, when a team equalised with 15 mins to go.
6. As ever, our away support.

The question marks

1. Parker's back passes
2. Collins in the air?

Overall, we've had a decent tour of duty in the North East this term (5 points and no defeats).

Well played lads - am looking forward to next Fulham even more now.

:crest:
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

feel like we were cheated out of 3 points today, looked the better team and played the better football, cole has got to do more for the team did bugger all apart from the goal which he took very very well, bellamy should have got a pen early second half, lino 1st half was poor bellamy was on side on more occasions than not.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

A point will do me. Lucas Neill should be relieved.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

happy with that although feel we could have got more if we'd kept attacking at 1-2....also got to say fair play to zola and clarke as we have played differently and better in the second half for a few of the last 4 games - shows that they are learning tactically and i must say that it's not something I can remember many recent west ham managers demonstrating regularly....anyone else agree or am i imagining it?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

A point away oop North....I'll take that thank you very much.

At this rate, we'll be fending off bids as well for Cole the goal!

It's looking good on the pitch...we just have to pray that we can keep the first team intact and we'll be fine.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

RWJ wrote:Good performance a point away is pretty good, werent too impressed with Collins.
What kind of defending was that back heel when he was last man?

Shame we didn't get all 3 there. Collison's chance and a nailed on pen come to mind.

Hats off to Cole. I'm his biggest critic, but I thought he did very well in the end after he decided he was going to start playing on half an hour.

Could be a costly point though. Bellers and Nobes looked to have injuries and Green kept pulling up after kicking.

I couldn't work out what formation they were playing today. They seemed to have 2 left wingers in Duff and Gutierrez, and then they brought Nzogbia on?!?!?
Mark Wards Boots
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Mark Wards Boots »

The most enjoyable performance for me from West Ham for a long time. We looked dangerous, passing was cute, great movement, Bellers & Cole working well together up top & sound at the back for the most part. I knew at 2-1 up that the barcodes would equalise but I knew it wouldn't bother me as much as usual because the overall team performance was brilliant. If we continue in that vein there is no reason we can't finish in the top 6-8 places.

Well done Zola et al! :thup: :crest:
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

No matter what the overall opinion of Zola is, you have to admit we are playing our most exciting footie in YEARS!!

Well done today.

COYI!! :raver:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Bollox we condeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

:D
daniel

Post by daniel »

Great game for Bellers, Cole, Ilunga and Upson. Thought Noble, Collins and Behrami had bad games, but all in all a point gained.
TampaHammer

Post by TampaHammer »

kev wrote:feel like we were cheated out of 3 points today, looked the better team and played the better football, cole has got to do more for the team did bugger all apart from the goal which he took very very well, bellamy should have got a pen early second half, lino 1st half was poor bellamy was on side on more occasions than not.
Yeah, the Lino was shockingly bad. Kept making one sh*t decision after the other. Flagging someone offside who was not in the run of play, too. Awful.
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Clarke must have given them a right royal earbashing during HT break judging by the way we started the second half. Cole should have had a penalty for being pulled back in the box.I'd have taken a point beofre the game, but really we lost 2 points today. Pity

What happened with Neils OG, was the ref right to call it back for a foul?
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

munichhammer wrote:Clarke must have given them a right royal earbashing during HT break judging by the way we started the second half. Cole should have had a penalty for being pulled back in the box.I'd have taken a point beofre the game, but really we lost 2 points today. Pity

Wasnt a horrible foul on Collins to be honest, but was a darned fine goal by Neil!!!! :lol:
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

munichhammer wrote:Clarke must have given them a right royal earbashing during HT break judging by the way we started the second half. Cole should have had a penalty for being pulled back in the box.I'd have taken a point beofre the game, but really we lost 2 points today. Pity

Yes he was even Sky said it was a foul so must have been blaitent
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

According to Fat Le Tisser the ref got it dead right with Lucas, but the penalty dead wrong. He said stonewall. Still a point up North still has us looking up. Hope Bellars and Noble will be able to feature next week against Fulham.
dencamp

Post by dencamp »

Well pleased, Zola's approach seems to be seeping in if not his original formation. Nice passing, crisp movement and Colinho with another.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Looks like all the other results were good to us..........
UniS-Hammer

Post by UniS-Hammer »

Has Dyer come on yet?
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

good result 8-)

:crest:
coxy
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by coxy »

Dissappointed we didn't kick on at 2-1 but it's a lot easier said than done, was a very enjoyable game to watch too. Cole played a blinder after being non-existent for the first half an hour or so - his goal was very Drogba-esque, confidence is an amazing thing. My only concern is Collins, I'm beginning to think he's not a long term option for us. He makes some great headers and blocks at times but I don't think he has the spatial awareness you need and often loses his man or gets too tight. If Gabbidon were to ever appear again and become the player he was a couple of seasons ago that would be my choice, but this looks doubtful. I won't deny Collins was superb in the survival run-up but just recently I'm starting to doubt him.