West Ham Utd 3 Fulham 1 (18/01/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Matt of iron

Re: West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread

Post by Matt of iron »

jevs wrote: Please can someone tell me who "TGV" is ?....i know some people like to have little pet names for their players but i couldn't work this one out.
Faubert, named after some super fast French train. :?
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

As I have said before I think his nickname should be changed to HGV
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Outclassed Fulham pretty much everywhere on the pitch today, we were the only ones with a consistent goal threat and some of our play was superb at times despite Fulham's spoling tactics. IMO the difference between our recent run and the run of near misses before that is simply the form of the strikers putting away their chances. It only underlines how much we need to come out of this transfer window with a strong line up of forwards whatever happens.

Good to see Dyer get a few minutes at the end although faced with PL defenders you could see that he probably needs a bit more time. Cole did well despite having a really tough struggle against a centre half he couldn't physically bully and came out on top through more than brute force.

Roll on Hull - the fixtures get tougher for a while after that but we've won games we should have won in this little run and that wasn't happening before.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Not a single bad performance out there today. Behrami, Cole, Collison, Illunga, Parker and even Noble :thup: but they all did well. Today we coped without Bellamys pace, I slightly wonder how well we can cope over a longer period without a bit of speed up front. Nevertheless we passed the ball really well, I was very impressed............And finally it's nice to see Bobby hasn't forgotton his roots, Pants neither.

:lol:
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

An outstanding albeit lucky goal and he was entitled to be chuffed with it regardless of who he scored it against![/quote]

I think anyone scored a goal like that they would celebrate it.
TBH i don't give a **** because he plays for the opposition.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

davids cross wrote:And finally it's nice to see Bobby hasn't forgotton his roots, Pants neither.

Although Konchesky did pretty quickly.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

davids cross wrote:And finally it's nice to see Bobby had forgotton his boots, Pants neither.

Corrected that for you mate.
RWJ

Post by RWJ »

Brilliant performance today all round, also DDM played to his potential and looks like he is starting to adjust to the physical side of the game, I always knew had something to offer for us.
Tel The Hammer
Chesney Hawkes

Post by Tel The Hammer »

Fantastic performance and result today.

Collison was blinding and along with Parker and Behrami, they absolutely mugged Fulham's midfield right off.

Not a bad show from anyone in our side which was great to see.

Ilunga was on top form again. Skippy looked good with Upson and Collins.

Even Cole and Di Michele looked quite impressive throughout most of the match. :thup:

We quite simply had Fulham in our pocket today.

Had some family man near me who I've never seen before who complained about the "f*** off Craig Bellamy chant", I heard him say to his missus "why have they got to swear, why can't they just sing just leave Craig Bellamy". ****. :lol:

P.S - If anyone on here still says Pantsil was good for us and should still be in our side you must have more front than a cow's got ****. :lol:

I'm off to top up my alcohol level...

Come on you irons!
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Good slick performance today. Moved the ball around quite well and didn't panic after Konch's thunderbolt. DDM and Cole looked threatening, the midfield got around well and made some good passes. Collison progressing well, Noble brilliant penalty, Behrami ran and ran and ran, Parker looked solid. Only complaint overall was Neill backing off and backing off. Still in the end it didn't matter.

As for the opposition, Fulham weren't great today but we really didn't allow them a chance to move the ball at all. The midfield kept hassling them, even DDM got stuck in. We just didn't let them play. Not letting Danny Murphy have the ball was the main aspect as he seems to run the show for them. BZ with a well timed shocker, and Johnny Pants.. Oh Johnny... Still, very good result. Lets follow it up with a couple of wins against Hartlepool and Dull.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

Tel The Hammer wrote: P.S - If anyone on here still says Pantsil was good for us and should still be in our side you must have more front than a cow's got c***. :lol:

I'm off to top up my alcohol level...

Come on you irons!
So true, I said today. Still cant believe we got £6,3m , for what I would say are 2 **** players.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

For basically the whole game it was 12 vs 10 with Paintsil as their right back
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

IIIronss wrote: Although Konchesky did pretty quickly.
I think you'll find Konch just decided we needed a wake up call............I thank him for that :lol:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

sanchoz wrote:For basically the whole game it was 12 vs 10 with Paintsil as their right back
Some player he is. :asleep:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Mad Professor wrote: An outstanding albeit lucky goal and he was entitled to be chuffed with it regardless of who he scored it against!
Not as good a cross as his one for us the Final :wink:
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Mad Professor wrote: An outstanding albeit lucky goal and he was entitled to be chuffed with it regardless of who he scored it against!
Why lucky? He decided to shoot, took aim and you saw the end result. Not luck IMHO.

I think lucky would be more apt if you were describing our third in the 2006 cup final.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

carnage wrote: Some player he is. :asleep:
a liability in every sense of the word.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Tel The Hammer wrote:Fantastic performance and result today.

Had some family man near me who I've never seen before who complained about the "f*** off Craig Bellamy chant", I heard him say to his missus "why have they got to swear, why can't they just sing just leave Craig Bellamy". c***. :lol:

Come on you irons!
:lol: :lol:
Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg »

Anyone given Neill some credit. I thought he and the entire back 4 played well today.

Good work Cole! He looks like a different player.

and... Collison, how comfortable on the ball does this lad look.
Edi-hammer

Post by Edi-hammer »

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Match ... 40,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What was the crowd like today?
GFZ is quoted as saying there was "a strange atmophere"..... "like we were playing in a silent place".
Did he mean on the pitch or was it a bit of a quiet one in the ground?