Aston Villa 1 West Ham Utd 1 (18/04/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

garyloz

Re: Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by garyloz »

I haven't seen any of the game but judging by people's comments on here and Zola's interview that was a fantastic display and a brilliant point today, especialy when you take into account we had:

Six players who would have been in the team out injured
A left winger at right midfield
A full back in midfield
Two academy players in the starting line-up, two on as sub and two more on the bench
A major defensive reshuffle when Collins went off
A player out for more than a year forced to work hard in midfield against Barry, Petrov and Milner
Tristan up front

Happy days indeed and lots of reasons to be cheerful, not least the fact Reo Coker can't get in the Villa team!
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

Totally mean-spirited report on the BBC. I doubt the guy was even at the game - probably had several games on at once at BBC Online. So Collins was taken off as part of the reshuffle due to the Villa pressure? Yeah right.

21 shots to their 22, more possession, Freidel making some very good saves, certainly more than Green. And this in the context of half our first choice team missing against a team who were in the top 4 for most of the season.

Yes we deserved the draw FFS.

And Tristan did mean that header. He's lost any pace he once had and is mostly a passenger, but he still has that instinct in the box. The Stoke goal was lucky but not this one.
Last edited by dplus91 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalthammerUSA

Post by WalthammerUSA »

That was a thoroughly entertaining match and a deserved point. Both sides played some great, wide-open football. Contrary to what the commentators were saying all game, I actually thought we shaded it a bit--especially in the second half--and could very well have come away with three points. Still, a point away to a top-five side with this depleted team will do given the circumstances.

With Cole and Parker (never mind Behrami and Collison), we win this 3-1. I really believe it. Tristan is still **** even if he did accidentally score, and Di Michele looked mostly indifferent again. Just one genuine striker up front, and we pop another one or two in and take the win. Even young Freddie looked pretty spicy when he came on. I didn't think Ilunga had his best day, but the back line and midfield both improved once Collins came out and Dyer replaced Neill in midfield. I hope Collins isn't hurt too badly. Tomkins remains a rock and another credit to the academy. Stanislas also had some fire in him early on, too, which was good to see.

Savio was a bit of a weak link when he came on, but Boa Morte, on the other hand, was very good. We should give him credit--after all the booing and eye-rolling at him earlier in the season, he has performed well late on during this injury crisis. All credit to Zola and Clarke for keeping this team in contention for Europe, especially given the players we have out. It seems as though this time last season we were content to finish 10th and muddle through our last six or seven games. Not this season--we're still pushing, even through adversity, which is great to see.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Yeah, have to say, when freddie came on the energy went up again and thought we were going to get all 3 pts. We can handle
Chelski next week.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4252 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

miami-hammer wrote:Yeah, have to say, when freddie came on the energy went up again and thought we were going to get all 3 pts. We can handle
Chelski next week.
Chelsea have Barcelona 3 days later. That may well work in our favour. A draw wouldn't be the biggest suprise.
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

bubbles1966 wrote:Chelsea have Barcelona 3 days later. That may well work in our favour. A draw wouldn't be the biggest suprise.
They also have Everton on Wednesday.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

We are the game of the day on Football First! :thup:

Starts at 20:30

:crest:
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

Excellent game of footbal and like many on here I'm suprised at some of the reports of Villa being the better team. We had by far the better chances and Friedel made 3 top draw saves. I can't remember Green having to make to many amazing stops.
We looked shaky at the back for a period of 15 minutes after the goal but their goal was against the run of play. Once we equalised there was only ever one side going to win it and I was really pleased that despite a very depleted team we still fancied winning. Could quite of easily seen out the last 6 or 7 minutes and taken a point.
Tomkins looks the bollox and Stanislas looks like a good prospect. Tristan scored a very good goal but was shocking with his general hold up play.
Very happy with a point and will be happier if Parker can be fit for the next game and Cole shortly after.
Some of the football we are playing is a pleasure to watch.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

One thing's for certain, we'll still be last on MOTD :wink:
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Just got back in!

First of all cheers to the lads that took me under their wing today, was nervous about my first away game, especially after the horror stories I have heard about West Midlands Police, but it was really great to be accepted in :thup:

It was a game of two ninths for West Ham instead of two halves! The first 10 minutes we were dynamite and with a bit of composure in front of goal we could have been 2 or 3 up. I honestly thought Stanislas would score that chance and was gutted when he missed.

I think Junior took a knock at one point and he was limping and didn't seem the same after. Not a very good game for him at all as he gave the ball away quite a few times (mind you this wasn't helped by the complete lack of movement up front). Then Heskeys goal came and the spirit dropped straight away. Was disheartening to see, but Lucas Neil managed to take Ashley young out of the game with a crunching tackle, Young didn't really show up for the rest of the game after that.

Tristan seems to have moments of madness and moments of genius. One time you could play the ball to him and he will bring it down and lay it off with ease, another and he will bring it down and pass it straight to Petrov. IN the second half he appeared to lose his legs, but credit to Zola for keeping the faith (and the shape). DDM was also not having the best of games and we really missed the link up play, something I hope Zola will sort out over the next week

Collins going off and Tomkins moving into the middle was a real blessing and we looked pretty good when that change hapepned. This also might have had something to do with Kieron Dyer, who was great (probably a close run thing for MOTM).

As I was saying in the ground with 10 minutes to go, there was always more goals in the game and we really piled the pressure on when Savio came on. This lad will come good eventually, his movement off the ball is very good, even if he left his shooting boots at home!

I think the real turning point of the game when Petrov fouled Mark Noble, this got the crowd really fired up and the team really clicked and pushed on. It was inevitable after the barracking that he has got on here and from the stands that Tristan would score and it's great that Dyer got the assist.

Champions League? Their havin' a laugh!!
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

any one got a clip of Greeno selling the dummy to Heskey? Brilliant
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Dyltheiron wrote:One thing's for certain, we'll still be last on MOTD :wink:
The running order* Sir,

Sunderland v Hull

Stoke v Blackburn
Portsmouth v Bolton
Middlesbrough v Fulham
Aston Villa v West Ham
*Subject to change
Iron Spine v2.0
Location: You don't wanna go and eat a snack like that! You'll end up with your teeth all grey,

Post by Iron Spine v2.0 »

Zola wrote:"We are down to our bare bones - much like a lot of this season - but I don't complain. At the end of the day perhaps I should be happy with a point."
:arry:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Very happy with the football we played at times breathtaking. Best moment (other than the goal), was Tomkins going the whole length of the field (well maybe a bit of an exaggeration) shame he put the follow up over the bar.

Honorable mention, the back heel from DDM and the back heel from LBM. Both almost set up goals.

Shocking decision from the ref to award a yellow to LBM for stumbling. Shocking tackle from Petrov (who I thought was one of their best players) on Noble. Rightly aggrieved (sensible by Styles on that occasion) could have broken his ankle. Straight red imho.

Friedel laughable at times. Excellent at others.

Top Four ??

You're having a Steffi ain't ya ??

Twice now we have played them with well less than our best team, VERY unlucky to lose at our place and easily could have beaten them today if goals went in early doors.

With our RESERVE team !!

:lol:
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

I don't think that the goal will change Tristan. He's bullied off the ball too easily, is second to most balls, and clearly hasn't got the legs.

We started well, but as soon as they scored, the tide changed, and we were on the backfoot for most of the game. There were spells when we were trying to play our way out of trouble, and were just too stretched from defence to attack. This suited Petrov and Barry's game, and we were contained a lot in our own half.

Aston Villa's defence were woeful and easily opened. We showed a real lack of quality infront of goal which was dissapointing as we carved out the chances. Carew and Heskey played well, but thankfully, their scoring ability isn't the greatest. They're a nightmare two to play against in terms of a physical battle, and although they had several brilliant chances to kill the game off, I do think that Tomkins and Upson did well for most parts.

The game could have gone either way, it was so open towards the end, but on the balance of play, I think Aston Villa were the better team and we should be happy with a point.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

'ouston 'ammer wrote: Shocking decision from the ref to award a yellow to LBM for stumbling. Shocking tackle from Petrov (who I thought was one of their best players) on Noble. Rightly aggrieved (sensible by Styles on that occasion) could have broken his ankle. Straight red imho.
Boa-Morte's fruitless appeals I think is what won him the yellow.

As for Petrov's challenge, the ball was there to be won I thought and Petrov was a little late. Noble should't have reacted in the manner he did though given he was on a yellow. Especially with Styles in charge.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Good away point, I honestly didn't expect this with the weakened team due to injuries.

Tristan's 2 goals this season have both been crucial ones so a bit of credit should go to him for that. :thup:
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0, ... 68,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zola's reaction :thup:
window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by window74 »

Excellent result today some of the stats made for excellent reading & seemed like we carved out some fantastic chances but a mixture of great saves & bad misses cost us but on the flip side it seems like villa played some great stuff as well & had some excellent chances as well a draw then a fair result & with all the players we have out 2 get a great result like this makes me proud 2 be a hammer well done 2 all the players & management, firstly thanks 2 everyone who went for their reports a couple of things though, the penalty that oneill was going on about what areyour views & did we really have as much possesion as the stats make out 59% 41%.?
MitchamRob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by MitchamRob »

Just got in, our support is fantastic.

Funniest moment was the guy who sang the Ludo song on his own from the upper tier. Green and Ludo pissed themselves and everyone in our end applauded very very funny CLASS... :lol: