West Ham Utd 0 Chelsea 1 (25/04/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: West Ham v Chelsea - match thread

Post by Pop Robson »

Lucas HOTY was thinking of Parker but now he's a now show it's the Aussie

Clever player for a fat bloke
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

EssexIron wrote:its not my problem where he lives, that doesnt give him the right to 'twat off' people that actually went to the game.
So what gives you the right to do it then?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: what was the lampard chants ???

Post by prophet:marginal »

Olliek92 wrote:
I sung them, also thought they were funny...They both looked unfazed, it's just a bit of match day banter...get over it
Why were they funny, out of interest?

Everyone around me seemed to be actually very angry about how Lampard and Terry strutted around our pitch today. As if they hadn't anything to do with it!

Its not a question of my getting over it - I am after all happy we only lost one nil, really.

I just think as I said. It was neither funny nor clever. Not much of support for our team either...
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

...chelsea were more dominant than they were last year when they whacked us 4 nil. from the off they just played keep-ball.. very sleepy show from our side- it was like watching my sons u14 side on a bad day....the ball just didnt seem to stick to any player- very very few passages of play where we had them running the other way... i think the stats are them having 65% posession-says it all.

having said that, the dyer chance, plus the off-the-line, and then a penalty--if you dont get at least one of them against chelsea, then you're ...

as for the singing, f*** me even im bored of it now, any of you lot think they are funny- especially the latest lampard one, you need to get out more.

better than that is the fact that it clearly has no impact, infact the opposite.

we are, what 5 places behind chelsea now- sad fact is we are about ten years and £500Million behind them as well- the tactical and technical skill they showed yesterday, alongside some of the chumps wearing a west ham shirt says it all- please lets spend a few years building a decent side who can keep the ball and put it in the net and not get diverted with this europa cup bollox...
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

SiO wrote:I'll never be his number 1 fan, but ****s sake, long long LONG over time to move on???
A long time? This is nothing. Did you not see the reaction Paul Ince received at the beginning of the season and that was how long ago? I dunno why some are moaning so much about it - ex-footballer recieving stick is not a new phenomenon is it.
I've got curly hair too wrote:so it would have been different had Nobes scored the pen, sure he didn't want to miss.
That's reassuring to know.
Iron Mark wrote:First corner of the game down by CL/DML corner. Just before Lampard takes it, with the crowd booing, he makes a sign to show that he is bored with it all. Don't blame him, I'm surprised that fans don't feel the same.
Judging by his reaction after their goal and the final whistle I would say he is anything but bored by it. In fact I think he actually revels in it.
w4hammer wrote:we are, what 5 places behind chelsea now- sad fact is we are about ten years and £500Million behind them as well- the tactical and technical skill they showed yesterday, alongside some of the chumps wearing a west ham shirt says it all-
I think that is a very harsh assessment. When you consider that the 14 players who featured for us today cost far less than the three players Chelsea brought off of the bench I think that they tried as best as they could. Yes, we all wanted them to get up em and amongst em but it was clear to me that the management had gone out with a game plan to pack out the final third and limit the space in that area so Chelsea could not play it through us there. When you reflect on the number of clear cut chances they actually had you would have to say that this did have some effect. It's the same way we played at Arsenal, Liverpool and at home to Man Utd. Our passing game was not up to scratch today but tactically and technically you cannot deny that there has been a big improvement under Clarke and Zola despite the limited resources available to them.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Chazza wrote:[Judging by his reaction after their goal and the final whistle I would say he is anything but bored by it. In fact I think he actually revels in it.
He would really like to not have the crap everytime he touches a football, but as the big men wont let it rest, when once again the team he plays for beats the hammers he feels joy.

And the vicious circle takes another turn...
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

I think that is a very harsh assessment. When you consider that the 14 players who featured for us today cost far less than the three players Chelsea brought off of the bench I think that they tried as best as they could. Yes, we all wanted them to get up em and amongst em but it was clear to me that the management had gone out with a game plan to pack out the final third and limit the space in that area so Chelsea could not play it through us there. When you reflect on the number of clear cut chances they actually had you would have to say that this did have some effect. It's the same way we played at Arsenal, Liverpool and at home to Man Utd. Our passing game was not up to scratch today but tactically and technically you cannot deny that there has been a big improvement under Clarke and Zola despite the limited resources available to them.

dont get me wrong, Im not knocking zola and clarke- far from it, theyve done a great job- the point i was making was how much ground we have to make-up, to even compete with the likes of chelsea,, and thats a sorry state of affairs for everyone- dont be confused, they barely had to brekk sweat yesterday- and passing off donkeys like tristan and DimC as fit for west ham just wont wash im afraid to say.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

over the last few seasons the one thing I find hard to understand is why we struggle so badly against Chelsea at home, against the other big 4 sides especialy Manchester Utd, we have no problem in upping our game playing some quality football and giving them a tough game. Yet against Chelsea for some reason we just seem to freeze and constantly underperforme it's almost like we have convinced ourselves before we even leave the dressing room that we can't possibaly beat them we have now lost 4 successive home games to them scoring just 2 goals and conceeding 12 . In all my years supporting supporting West Ham, I certainly can't recall any visiting team being so consistantly dominant against us.

The glimmer of hope Larry might be that they have been so bloody well coached since we last came up, realistically by Mourinho, Clarke and others.

Mourinho turned them into a real fighting unit, a team with clear and achievable aims.

The reality was that Pardew and Curbishley were no match for him. It may seem odd, but we should take some positives, as mentioned above, from the fact that we restriced their chances fairly well (and indeed conceded further to something of a poor showing from Green).

Yesterday, with Parker, Behrami and Cole in the team, we may have got the point with play that genuinely deserved it. Chelsea are a long distance from us....

...but we're catching them!
:o
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

Chazza wrote: A long time? This is nothing. Did you not see the reaction Paul Ince received at the beginning of the season and that was how long ago? I dunno why some are moaning so much about it - ex-footballer recieving stick is not a new phenomenon is it.
Im also averagely bored of the Paul Ince thing, and at the risk of going way off topic, I'll keep this one brief. Big mistake, young kid, has since shown some humility, and it was 20 years ago.

I think that the ex-footballer getting stick is part of the banter but what people are now objecting to is the bile and hatred that's gone too far. The way it pours out, it's a wonder Lampard hasn't been assassinated... How these poor people can contain themselves to an outpouring of hatred twice a season is beyond me!

Lampard has not shown humility, and isn't my favourite person, but I think things have gone too far and are now beyond footie banter.

All imho of course :wink:
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Lampard before the game, when the players ran out to warm up, made a point of applauding the Chelsea fans for at least 30 seconds (most players for a few seconds). Surely if he was bored of it all then he could keep a low profile, then that way i am sure many fans would get bored seeing it has no effect, by him over celebrating (well not as much as Terry yesterday) shows it has had an impact.

As for the songs, right or wrong, there have been a lot worse things sung than John Terry your mum's a thief and Lampard you let your children down. When people dislike somebody they normally look to say bad things to them, now had these not been in papers they wouldn't have been sung.

Lampard is nothing more than a pantomime villain which people love to hate, Terry on the other hand...
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

aaronhammer wrote:Lampard before the game, when the players ran out to warm up, made a point of applauding the Chelsea fans for at least 30 seconds (most players for a few seconds). Surely if he was bored of it all then he could keep a low profile, then that way i am sure many fans would get bored seeing it has no effect, by him over celebrating (well not as much as Terry yesterday) shows it has had an impact.

As for the songs, right or wrong, there have been a lot worse things sung than John Terry your mum's a thief and Lampard you let your children down. When people dislike somebody they normally look to say bad things to them, now had these not been in papers they wouldn't have been sung.

Lampard is nothing more than a pantomime villain which people love to hate, Terry on the other hand...
Just to clear up a badly written post on my behalf, I meant that the abuse aimed at Lampard about his mother was beyond the pale, Im all for some banter. But banter should mean slightly light-hearted on both sides. Hatred for not too much reason is pretty pointless. I mean, hating Lampard???? Really?
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Isn't a game against chelsea a game we want to win? Utterly disappointed in the lack of effort when attacking. An awful display. Passionless football. It was embarrassing.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

All about expectations...

We knew when it was apparent that we would not be replacing Bellamy that we were left with very little quality in attack, and that the management team were content to see out the rest of the Season relatively toothless,rather than gamble big bucks(presuming they had them) on a stop gap forward.

Think we've limped along fairly well, with the silver lining of Summer buying to look forward to.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

szola wrote:Isn't a game against chelsea a game we want to win? Utterly disappointed in the lack of effort when attacking. An awful display. Passionless football. It was embarrassing.
We had our 3rd & 5th choice Strikers Playing & 1 ( possibly ) of our first choice 4 in the Midfield but don't let that get in the way of an " awful display " aye ??
IronsEnthusiast

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

Chazza wrote:A long time? This is nothing. Did you not see the reaction Paul Ince received at the beginning of the season and that was how long ago? I dunno why some are moaning so much about it - ex-footballer recieving stick is not a new phenomenon is it.
Maybe they are fed up because some of our fans are too busy abusing opposition players to actually get behind our team? I suspect the majority don't give a toss that he's getting stick, they just care that our team is not getting support because of it.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

IronsEnthusiast wrote:Maybe they are fed up because some of our fans are too busy abusing opposition players to actually get behind our team? I suspect the majority don't give a toss that he's getting stick, they just care that our team is not getting support because of it.
So why didn't they make their voice heard yesterday rather than whining about it on a forum?
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

Don't worry lads, I was able to re-enact the match on FIFA 09:

We won 4-0 :wink: :thup:
matty.h

Post by matty.h »

Lets be honest we were shockin,worst for me was the passing,it really was dire at times,i know he is young but Stanislas gave the ball away so many times as he did the week before.As for the chants to fat boy,they will probably never stop like um or hate um!