West Ham Utd 0 Liverpool 3 (09/05/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Re: West Ham v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Green 8 ~ did what eh needed to do, great penalty dsave shame it went left instead of right
Ilunga 7 ~ doesn't track back well or fast enough
Tomkins 8 ~ gets better and better against who could be the best striker in the world
Upson 8 ~ as above
Neil 6 ~ poor by late standards
LBM 6 ~ no 5 for the penalty which cost us the game ~ twat
Kovacs 6 ~ piss poor distribution
Noble 8 ~ bossed the show
Stanislas 6 ~ a bit lost after a bright start would do better on the right
DDM 5 ~ say no more
Tristan 6 ~ ditto
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

4 8's? i think thats being very considerate
hamz

Post by hamz »

BLT319 wrote:4 8's? i think thats being very considerate
to be fair

noble
tomkins
upson
green
ilunga

all had really good games, noble the standout, really showed up his critics today

Boa Morte played well, that was a very weak penalty in my eyes, it shouldnt of been given, pulling shirts in the box goes on every corner kick, i dunno if he lost his footing but torres went down way to easily and it wasnt because of boa morte tugging his shirt

IMHO kovac was our worst player, number 1 priority of dcm is to provide an outlet for your players and NEVER loose the ball, his passing was terrible, picked the wrong passes all game which gifted liverpool countless chances. He didnt follow gerrards run for the first goal and didnt assert himself in the centre of the park at all. IMHO we really needed to drop noble in that role and bring on collison earlier, boa morte and should of then shifted over to the left, i think the tactics let us down a little today
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Top 4 bias

Post by Whufc06 »

Realistically us getting a free kick just before the penalty wouldn't have affected the scoreline but the decisions the top teams get is ridiculous. They dont need a helping hand as their players are much better than most they play against but f*** me its annoying. I just wish the 'other' teams had the b*llocks to take the PL to task over it, theres enough evidence of it. Sorry if I have repeated what others have already said.
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

How DDM could even muster a 5 is beyond me. And LBM's passing, or final touch was just as terrible as Kovac's. Headbanger
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

All I saw was the last half hour of it, but from what I saw it was 11 men against 11 boys, with Neil, Boa Morte and Kovac in particular, constantly giving the ****ing ball away.
Bobby Orangeboom

Re: Top 4 bias

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Where's that evidence then Mate ??
party iron

Post by party iron »

Ive always thought the home side gets slightly favoured by refs, unless they are playing one of the top side and then they get the rub of the green.

(Disclaimer)I have no evidence to prove this :lol:
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

It was quite simple. None of our second string players got near to matching their world class players. Green, Llunga, Neil, TOmkins, Upson, Noble were all competitive and with Ashton, Cole, Dyer, COllison, Parker and Behrami would have given them a decent game. But our subs just weren't up to it, either because they are old lags or boys. The latter deserve some time, the former should be got rid of if we want to progress.
Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

First off, :wink: thanks to the fella at Paddington for the tube advice, we usually drive but this time let the train take the strain. Given the pissed up foul mouthed posh tarts on the train on the way back I might just go back to driving again. My 7 year old heard worse language from them than at any point during the game yesterday.

Nice reception from where we were for Yossi and Masch. No doubt nobody will report that, they'll just wait for another fat frank return to comment on our reception of past players.

DDM and Tristan were shocking. To not even get a shot off when under no great pressure one on one was diabolical. Tristan lost possession again and again and again. First time I've seen Tomkins and I thought he was outstanding. He and Upson look like a solid unit. LBM not so impressive. Having said that how that twat Riley didn't give a freekick before the penalty is beyond me. It would be easy to criticise the midfield but when your options up top are so limited it doesn''t inspire much confidence. Kovac look lost without Parker imo.

I thought green had an excellent game despite losing 3 goals.

Green 7 - some good saves including the penalty
Illunga 6 - looked out of sorts to me
Tomkins 7 - played a major part in Torres having a quiet day
Upson 8 - a captains performance to my mind, how Tomkins must love playing alongside him and the Gerrard tackle late in the second half said it all.
Neil 4 - Very poor game. Gave away the ball too often and looked like he'd never met whoever was playing in front of him.
LBM 5 - To his credit worked hard but always managed to undo the good work by giving the ball away. Probably our most dangerous attacking threat, and that tells you everything!
Noble 6 - worked hard, lots of nice touches and probably let down by those around him.
Kovac 5 - Not a game for him to remember.
Stanislas 6 - It looked to me like he thought it was a level too far, there's only so many time you can check back onto the inside before the defender knows what you're about to do.
DDM 4 - I'm only giving him 4 because he works his socks off, sadly you need so much more than that at this level. Bye bye DDM.
Tristan 3 - Zola's calling this spot on. Unfortunately our Diego doesn't appear to be able to run, trap the ball, shield the ball, pass or shoot (unless from a dead ball), apart from that Zola is correct he can be the best in Europe :?

Collison 6 - a breath of fresh air when he came on, can we play him from the start up at Everton and against boro please?
Sears - ? I don't know what to make of him. Am I missing the point?
Payne - didn't see enough to pass comment. But how cool was it to have so many yoof on the pitch all at one?

Alan Riley - Twat. -9

Last point, hats off to the crowd that stayed. Great atmosphere, Carib Jnr Jnr is starting his WHU education and despite a tear in his eye as the penalty save was scored, he was giving it large at the end and loving every second of it. :crest:
norfy

Post by norfy »

kthammer wrote:It was quite simple. None of our second string players got near to matching their world class players. Green, Llunga, Neil, TOmkins, Upson, Noble were all competitive and with Ashton, Cole, Dyer, COllison, Parker and Behrami would have given them a decent game. But our subs just weren't up to it, either because they are old lags or boys. The latter deserve some time, the former should be got rid of if we want to progress.
our second string are probably third string in reality..we really are running on fumes and have been for a long time...im just happy we got away with it this year and still say other than bragging rights..getting in europe will cause us untold problems next year given the obligatary under funding,selling of top talent and inevitable injury crisis we will have to go through!!only at west ham... :crest: :arry:
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

It started with the antics of LBM imo, gettin' in the face of referees, it does not endear you or your team to them. Neill tried to restrain LBM at times throughout the game, and placate the ref but even Neill's demeanour sometimes comes off badly.

But having said that, if you rearrange the topic title it spells the Top 4 said
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Where's that evidence then Mate ??
Do you not think they are then Bobby?

The LBM foul yesterday, even on MOTD they showed how he was 5 yards away at the perfect angle to see it and still did not give it, bearing in mind how we scored last week, it's either bias or sheer incompetence. With the penalty, he was directly behind LBM and so would not have seen the shirt pull but thought it must have been a foul, which it was probably was, but gives it on the balance of probabilities (he's a top striker at a top club and wouldn't dive would he). The many number of times yesterday that they committed cynical fouls as we got into their half, and yet we end up with more bookings!
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

I was at the game yesterday and when LBM went off he got a standing ovation from where i was seated.

Am I the only one who thinks he played really well yesterday? Everyone I speak to said he had a shocker (although they've only seen it on TV)
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

You want top 4 bias? Check out this well-balanced and impartial gem from that paragon of neutrality, the BBC.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Chadwell Hammer wrote:I was at the game yesterday and when LBM went off he got a standing ovation from where i was seated.

Am I the only one who thinks he played really well yesterday? Everyone I speak to said he had a shocker (although they've only seen it on TV)
He was ok Chadwell up until the free kick & penalty moment. From that point on he seemed to lose his composure.

By no means the worst player on the pitch though. Kovac, Tristan, DDM and Stanislas weren't at the races either.

You have to wonder just how poor/un-ready Saveloy is if he can't get a game or 15 minutes as a sub when so many of our 2nd choice players aren't having a good game.

Last time Z & C did this for months, it was with Tristan..... so is Saveloy at the same level for playing in the Premiership as Tristan was?
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

norfolk_hammer wrote:
Do you not think they are then Bobby?

The LBM foul yesterday, even on MOTD they showed how he was 5 yards away at the perfect angle to see it and still did not give it, bearing in mind how we scored last week, it's either bias or sheer incompetence. With the penalty, he was directly behind LBM and so would not have seen the shirt pull but thought it must have been a foul, which it was probably was, but gives it on the balance of probabilities (he's a top striker at a top club and wouldn't dive would he). The many number of times yesterday that they committed cynical fouls as we got into their half, and yet we end up with more bookings!
I think there's an elelment of paranoia in what we're talking about to be honest..

Do i think there's bias for the Top 4 ??

Maybe, probably, possibly but if we are to assume that Wiley didn't give that Free Kick because he wanted Liverpool to win the Game then we're opening a HUGE Can of Worms...

I think the reason everyone got on thei rhigh horse about this particular scenario is the fact the the play following it resulted in them getting a Penalty..

It was a Free Kick all day long but ther'es lost of instances in Games where nailed in Free Kicks don't get given & as i said, the reason this particular one is getting highliughted more is cos they got the Penalty in the resulting attack..

I'd be more inclined to simply say Wiley didn't think it was a Free Kick quite simply rather than saying he didn't give the Free kick because he was biased towards Liverpool..
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Chadwell Hammer wrote:I was at the game yesterday and when LBM went off he got a standing ovation from where i was seated.

Probably a contender for MOTM for me yesterday - busy, put the foot in well but his distribution let him down so Noble shaded him. And those slating him for the penalty are really taking the anti-Boa stuff too far - yes he did give Torres' shirt a tug, as do many players the world over in games (we may have had a shirt tugged in their box if we ever got in there - you never know) but the Spanish cock dived forward as a result. Now I'm no Newton but sure a backward tug makes you fall backwards?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I've seen Wiley up close a few times this season at UP, think he's done about 3 games. As refs go I think he's been pretty good in the games I've seen. Sure he made a rick on the Boa foul but Boa then went on to compound that mistake with a beauty of his own.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Precisely.

Torres was facing our stand when he propelled himself to the floor.

As soon as he went down, it looked like a dive. And nothing the MOTD cameras showed later changes my opinion of that.

Mascherano got away with several worse challenges as the match went on, including of course the bone-cruncher on LBM seconds before the penalty.