West Ham Utd 0 Liverpool 3 (09/05/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Re: West Ham v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by Chuck D »

RARS/Fionn

Point is that some people were objectivley questioning (at the time) the wisdom of the signature of an unknown foreign winger from our DOF's former club, owned by his father in law, for a potential record fee, to replace a striker.

Now that we cant score from open play, the kid isnt up to playing for our first team, and have to put up with Tristan and DDM comedy act up front, the emotions are running higher, and people who couldnt see the problem before are also asking question.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Oh, and RARS, Henry left in 2007, and Fabregas was at Arseanl in 2003, so your example doesnt make any sense.

If you mean that Arsenal should have bought an established forward to replace selling their best player, then you are right.

They havent won anything since Henry went.

In fact, they havent won anything since they started selling their best players and replacing them with "promising youngsters", in truth, they have gone from being Man Uniteds biggest challengers, to almost falling out of the Champs League places.

Their resurgence this season came after spending big on a world star.

Ring any bells love?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Chuck D wrote:
Yeah, that would have been great, a one nil home defeat, with no shots on target. Its that kind of thing that gets people to renew their season tickets.

And if your auntie had b***ocks, she'd be your uncle.

Its the blind optimism that will allow the BG to spend f*** all in the summer, and we will reap the rewards next year.
I wasn't making the suggestion as some kind of leader in the brochure for the Season Tickets, to be honest.

You appear to have higher levels of expectation for the club than me, but you can't be sensibly suggesting that BG's spending plans are measurable against anyone's expectations. The guy's practically bankrupt and desperate to sell. Yesterday's result/performance is irrelevant to summer spending.

I don't understand how you made the connection.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Where did I say that yesterdays result would have anything to do with summer spending? It might actually, in that its less likely that we will be in Europe.

My expectations of the club are based directly on the statements made by our CEO in December.

Its the blind optimism that will allow the BG to spend f*** all in the summer, and we will reap the rewards next year.

I detected a link between the optimism and his spending plans.

Chuck D wrote: My expectations of the club are based directly on the statements made by our CEO in December.

Are you sure?

You've spent the last 5 months undermining the credibility of Dux's claims; you're surely not seriously now suggesting that you took him at his word?!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Chuck D wrote:Oh, and RARS, Henry left in 2007, and Fabregas was at Arseanl in 2003, so your example doesnt make any sense.

If you mean that Arsenal should have bought an established forward to replace selling their best player, then you are right.

They havent won anything since Henry went.

In fact, they havent won anything since they started selling their best players and replacing them with "promising youngsters", in truth, they have gone from being Man Uniteds biggest challengers, to almost falling out of the Champs League places.

Their resurgence this season came after spending big on a world star.

Ring any bells love?
That was a bad example on my part.
Neil.C
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Neil.C »

3-0 is a hammering in anyones language but if only we had some strikers. Tristan and DDM must be the worst pairing in the PL, I can't think of any worse. :(

Apart from our woeful front pair Kovac stood out as our worst player IMO.

Just think if we'd had Cole and Ashton up front all season :think: although TBH we have still done incredibly well in the league considering our injury predicaments so all in all I still think a very good campaign up to now.

I really think a 7th finish is beyond us now and most probably a good thing.
hamz

Post by hamz »

Neil.C wrote:3-0 is a hammering in anyones language but if only we had some strikers. Tristan and DDM must be the worst pairing in the PL, I can't think of any worse. :(

Apart from our woeful front pair Kovac stood out as our worst player IMO.
Think Tristan had a decent game, lost the ball a couple of times but his performance wasnt out undoing, couldnt agree more with your thoughts on Kovac though
Neil.C wrote:I really think a 7th finish is beyond us now and most probably a good thing.
Blasphemy!

7th is still a real chance, two easier games for us, collison, collins and cole will be back and maybe even a cameo appearance from dyer. We really need to clinch that euro spot, it will do the team a world of good, the more games and experience we get the better team we will be.
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

Don't mean to go over this but who else were taken on the rollercoaster of emotions from the moment DDM got hold of that loose ball to the realisation of the result? :raver: :arry: Headbanger
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

We were poor all round yesterday, and DDM's shocking miss and comedy rolly polly just summed us up really. We struggled to string two passes together, failed consistently to make it hard for Liverpool when they were on the ball, and gifted them two goals that effectively killed the game before half time.

Noble was the only player who looked decent.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

IIIronss wrote:
Oh right, and there is no where in the middle.
Well Villa, Man City or Spurts I suppose......
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

One of many problems was our wingers. When getting into good positions they would not stick the ball in the box. If we had a winger to stick the ball in low in between defence and the goally then we'd cause more problems. Obviously doesn't help that we don't have anyone attempting to get in the box. It also doesn't help playing a left footed winger on the right and right footed winger on the left. Liverpool are too organised and our wingers too ordinary for them to be able to do much when coming in off the wing. We also have strikers that aren't able to turn when receiving the ball and run direct. Thus our counter attacks are too slow especially against decent teams. Liverpool were quick and direct on the break and caused us no end of problems.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Chuck D wrote:RARS/Fionn

Point is that some people were objectivley questioning (at the time) the wisdom of the signature of an unknown foreign winger from our DOF's former club, owned by his father in law, for a potential record fee, to replace a striker.

Now that we cant score from open play, the kid isnt up to playing for our first team, and have to put up with Tristan and DDM comedy act up front, the emotions are running higher, and people who couldnt see the problem before are also asking question.
Chuck, rars and I were arguing different points.
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

sendô wrote:We were poor all round yesterday, and DDM's shocking miss and comedy rolly polly just summed us up really. We struggled to string two passes together, failed consistently to make it hard for Liverpool when they were on the ball, and gifted them two goals that effectively killed the game before half time.

Noble was the only player who looked decent.
And the only one who seemed remotely interested.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Mike420 wrote:One of many problems was our wingers. When getting into good positions they would not stick the ball in the box. If we had a winger to stick the ball in low in between defence and the goally then we'd cause more problems. Obviously doesn't help that we don't have anyone attempting to get in the box. It also doesn't help playing a left footed winger on the right and right footed winger on the left. Liverpool are too organised and our wingers too ordinary for them to be able to do much when coming in off the wing. We also have strikers that aren't able to turn when receiving the ball and run direct. Thus our counter attacks are too slow especially against decent teams. Liverpool were quick and direct on the break and caused us no end of problems.
To whom ?
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

delbert wrote:
Well Villa, Man City or Spurts I suppose......
Yeah, or good or very good players that are still here.
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

At the set pieces the bindippers were incredibly shaky and nervous when the box was crowded. We lost opportunities there when pretty much all but Green were in the box.

Wingers feeding the box should come from a move allowing wing backs so that at least an extra 2 midfielders make their way into the box as well as Cole and DDM or other forward pairing from open play. :crest:
garyloz

Post by garyloz »

sendô wrote: Noble was the only player who looked decent.
I think that's a bit harsh on Tomka, he had a decent game against one of Europe's best strikers I thought.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Rocketron wrote: To whom ?
Yeah I did point that out if you read further...