West Ham Utd 0 Liverpool 3 (09/05/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Re: West Ham v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by Chuck D »

PM/Iiirons

The original poster said he outplayed him, and the two of you certainly think he had a good game.

Which makes me wonder how he managed to create a goal after 76 seconds, and get a penalty against LBM, when he was being so efficiently marshalled by Tomkins?

I thought he (like most of our players) was poor today. There is no shame in playing poorly against bigger, better clubs when you are 20 years old.

Torres (and Gerrard) did what good players do. They moved around, and created space, which for the first goal led to confusion between Tomkins and Kovac over who was marking Gerrard.

I like Tomkins, and I think he is a good player who will get better. To say that he had a good game today, and "outplayed Torres" is wide of the mark though. IMHO.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Knowing our toothless team it is correct that we would have looked at 0-0 as the best outcome.

In fact there were elements of the game which were not predictable...the lack of any inspired moments from our strikers and particularly poor passing from Neill,Kovak and Boa Morte.

Good defensive work was wasted by attacks breaking down when these three were involved.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I didn't suggest Tomkins outplayed Torres...but he can sleep easy tonight.

As I say, none of the goals were down to him.

We should savour his performances...
Last edited by prophet:marginal on Sat May 09, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Up the Junction wrote:Someone's looking for a scapegoat? Or are you just massively overreacting?

Not over reacting UTJ, just a general comment from what has been said to me this evening by people, not from this site. I thought he done ok, apart from the red mist, but hearing comments from people that he cost us the match etc, is frankly crap. He did well today IMO, though an anger managemant course for him wouldn't go a miss!

No scape-goats for me today, we got beaten by the 2nd best team in the league, nothing to be ashamed of.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

westhamerica wrote:
Same answer I always get. Do you think that it is more likely that they would set themselves up for conspiracy and failure just to donate money to someone's father-in-law, or that there were no viable options available in an over hyped, over inflated January window?
Do you think its unreasonable for a the manager, assistant manager, and DOF of a premiership football club to have more idea of who is available in the world of football than some blokes on an internet forum?

Jo (loan), Beattie, & Harewood (loan) all moved clubs. Any one of those would have improved our forward line without breaking any banks. Likewise, Benjani at City would have been a good shout. Any of those players in more mobile, and more of an overall addition to the team than the lumbering Tristan.

On your last point, given that the January creates an "inflated, overhyped market", why sign Savio if he wasnt going to play?

Why not do the deal and bring him in during the summer window, allowing him another half season of actually playing football, as opposed to getting splinters in his arse at our club? Oh, and not having to pay the "overhyped, inflated price" we did?
Hands of iron

Post by Hands of iron »

just got back!

Was impressed with noble today, best I've seen him play in a long time.

Highlight of the day had to be when everyone was singing claret and blue army for the last 5 minutes of the game. The whole of the Centenary really got going!

Jo went on loan to a club local to COMS.

Beattie and Harewood were not even sensible ideas for us in January.

Sure, Beattie has done reasonably well, but we wouldn't have dreamt of buying him in January.

As for Mr Martin, the crap turrets didn't need a new lick.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

prophet:marginal wrote:Jo went on loan to a club local to COMS.

Beattie and Harewood were not even sensible ideas for us in January.

Sure, Beattie has done reasonably well, but we wouldn't have dreamt of buying him in January.

As for Mr Martin, the crap turrets didn't need a new lick.
Did we ask about Jo? You know, when were selling them Bellamy for £14 million? Could have made it part of the deal couldnt we? Thus wiping Everton out of the picture. City couldnt care less which of the teams he was playing for, as long as he was getting football, learning English, and the way of the Premiership.

As for Beattie, of course we wouldnt have dreamed of buying him in January. We were busy looking after drunk Spanish has beens. Why would we want to buy a known English striker, when we can get someone with an italian sounding name instead?

Why were he and Harewood not viable?

I've just come up with fours strikers in ten minutes. You telling me that our wonderful management team couldnt do better over the course of a month?

I didnt even use a phone.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The Yossi lovers won the cheering/ booing game when he was announced.

which was nice.

Chuck D wrote:
I didnt even use a phone.
And, if only you'd called...
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

prophet:marginal wrote:
And, if only you'd called...
Ghostbusters?
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Apart from the penalty, I didn't think LBM had a bad game, nothing spectular but he wasn't the worst player on the pitch today.

Green, Noble, Tomkins, and Collison were the standouts for me. The latter embarassing every one else IMO when it takes a youngster who has been out for months to try to grab the game by the balls when he comes on. Even Sears covered more ground than the useless twats upfront when he came on. Collison must start the next game.

Di Michele was truly awful with his dive caping it all off. I thought our midfield broke up a number of Liverpool attacks well but with our strikers providing absoleutely no movement for them we were not going to score even if we were still playing now.

Another shocking refereeing performance as well.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

dyers_leg wrote:Not over reacting UTJ, just a general comment from what has been said to me this evening by people, not from this site.
Fair play, thought you were referring to the thread. My apologies.
dyers_leg wrote:... an anger managemant course for him wouldn't go a miss!
Silly really because it was something similar (at Spurs) that started the mass booing in the first place.
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

delbert wrote:Ref the Savio debate. If he's an average player he'll stay with us, if he goes on to be brilliant one of the top four will snap him up.

Oh right, and there is no where in the middle.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Tomkins wasn't outplaying Torres, but he did pretty well against one of the best strikers he'll have to worry about, before himself moving to a CL team.

I thought he played very well today. He certainly wasn't personally responsible for any of the goals they scored.
You'll find very few who disagree with you.

Tomkins did play well today.
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

Kovac looked totally lost out there today. I was watching him just standing around looking about with no particular sense of where he should be, apart from being really good looking :wink: if he is on loan, i won't be sorry to say goodbye at the end of the season. Thought Green, Tomkins, Noble especially and Collison when he came were all MOTM for me.

On a side note, a big thankyou to the female steward who sorted out me switching seats and to a different stand at half time due to all the people smoking in the BML and starting off my asthma coughing (i forgot my pump), but they were really helpful and i very much appreciated them sorting it out, otherwise I would have had to have left at half time. (Not wanting an asthma attack obv.!)
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kovac........I thought he put in some good challenges but his distribution was awful.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Worth remembering he had no pre-season and hasn't had much pitch-time to get used to a league miles above anywhere he's played before. Still been fairly disappointing, but we've seen enough times we can judge a player too early when they come from abroad.
shreddie

Post by shreddie »

prophet:marginal wrote:I didn't suggest Tomkins outplayed Torres...but he can sleep easy tonight.

As I say, none of the goals were down to him.

We should savour his performances...
From what I remember he did allow Babel to drift off of him for the 3rd......other than that had a pretty tidy game i thought.
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:Worth remembering he had no pre-season and hasn't had much pitch-time to get used to a league miles above anywhere he's played before. Still been fairly disappointing, but we've seen enough times we can judge a player too early when they come from abroad.
Spot on, he looked completely out of his depth today, just reminded me of a little lost soul wandering aimlessly.......... :lol: