West Ham Utd 0 Liverpool 3 (09/05/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

333 and out

Re: West Ham v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by 333 and out »

davids cross wrote:Just one of them days. We are so short all over the pitch at the moment, they were very good and the early goal killed us. Of course they are well ahead of us at the moment but it's nothing to get over sensitive about. We all know we need our strongest eleven to even compete with these teams , the kids are getting experience and that will serve us well in the long run. We are West Ham and we've been here before many times. We move on, we've come back form defeats very well this season and hopefully we will again.
Top post, DC, agree with every word. We were well beaten by the 'dippers, but had a ***** ref and were without half our team. OK, we'll miss out on the Fairs Cup/ UEFA Cup / Europa League. So feckin what!!! Ask the Villa mugs who shelled out a grand earlier this season to watch their kids lose in Europe. It doesn't matter a feck.

What does matter is we are moving in the right direction. More homegrown kids than anyone (with the possible exception of the smoggies, and look at them!!!). A management team who look both competant and happy (a WHU first this century), and safety in the league.

FFS guys, it's not the end of the world.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

333 and out wrote:
Top post, DC, agree with every word. We were well beaten by the 'dippers, but had a s***e ref and were without half our team. OK, we'll miss out on the Fairs Cup/ UEFA Cup / Europa League. So feckin what!!! Ask the Villa mugs who shelled out a grand earlier this season to watch their kids lose in Europe. It doesn't matter a feck.

What does matter is we are moving in the right direction. More homegrown kids than anyone (with the possible exception of the smoggies, and look at them!!!). A management team who look both competant and happy (a WHU first this century), and safety in the league.

FFS guys, it's not the end of the world.
Interesting that isnt it?
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

TBH I'm feeling like a Tottenham fan in the beigel shop on Brick lane that we're in the ****ing position that we're in!

Let's think back to the last couple of years, the complete shambles over Tevez, the whole world saying we were cheating, weasly, lowlife scumbuckets who basically single-handedly relegated Sheffield United by fielding a player who actually made us worse for most of that season (and without whom we actually gained more points), and the global economic crisis meaning that our 'sugar daddy' suddenly turned into 'skint daddy', and then, to add insult to injury, we appointed a manager who was the hero of one of our most hated teams.

It could all only point to relegation, couldn't it?

But no, Zola has turned out to be an immensely good manager, and getting Clarke was inspired.

In a season in which I was sure we'd be going down, we look nailed on for a top 10 finish. Sure, we'll probably be pipped to the punch europa wise, but f*** it!

I think it's been a good season, with a f*** of a lot of good things (Collison, Tomkins, Behrami, good football, zola turning out to be top class bean) to build on!

Let's not let yesterday's game get us down too much. we had chances, it's not our fault that we're still rebuilding and can't quite afford a proper striker, I reckon this summer we will get it sorted and then we can see where things go from there! And even yesterday I reckon if we'd had a not-patched-up team out we'd have beaten those c****!

Seriously, I think we will improve further next year.
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Plus there's the fact that 7th is a majorly poisoned chalice ;)
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

thought that was very funny what MOTD2 did with that.
m-h

Post by m-h »

On going a goal behind...

It's not easy to create something against Liverpool - especially when they find themselves winning. I said it before the match, Liverpool is a team that you want to play better at home rather than away. But they found themselves 1-0 up and sat back and waited for us then counter attack - and there they are the best.

Imho, Sorry but always find that to be defeatist and giving it up before its even taken place. When you come to the Boleyn at UP
its the opposition who should be not wanting to play us at home.
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

was I seeing things or was there a player without a name on his shirt ?
westhamrobw

Post by westhamrobw »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:was I seeing things or was there a player without a name on his shirt ?
Upson got blood on his original. We even got to see Matty in his briefs :wink:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Romford Iron wrote:Apart from the penalty, I didn't think LBM had a bad game, nothing spectular but he wasn't the worst player on the pitch today.

Green, Noble, Tomkins, and Collison were the standouts for me. The latter embarassing every one else IMO when it takes a youngster who has been out for months to try to grab the game by the balls when he comes on. Even Sears covered more ground than the useless twats upfront when he came on. Collison must start the next game.

Di Michele was truly awful with his dive caping it all off. I thought our midfield broke up a number of Liverpool attacks well but with our strikers providing absoleutely no movement for them we were not going to score even if we were still playing now.

Another shocking refereeing performance as well.
Exactly how I saw it

The players you mention all had decent games. Collison gave us a glimpse of what we've missed since his injury. DDM should hang his head in shame. What I saw from him yesterday convinced me we must get rid in the summer.

It was always going to be tough, against arguably the most in form attacking side in the league. Even more so when only one of our midfield and attackers would actually get in our 1st eleven (Noble) with everyone fit. And even harder when you concede in the 1st minute

Which is why the referee's performance in the first half was so hard to stomach. I actually had to leave the pub for 5 minutes after the penalty, to calm down. I haven't been so incensed by football for a very long time. A string of fouls on our players, in decent attacking positions not given, Tomkins makes an excellent tackle, they get a free kick on the edge of our box. LBM is blatantly taken out, no free kick. Although it was stupid, I can't really blame him for the penalty. He'd completely lost the plot. Which is kind of understandable. I was absolutely fuming, and i was only watching!
I can't help thinking that someone had a word with the ref at half time, as for some reason in the second half, he actually gave us a free kick everytime we were fouled. Shame it was too late by then

In the time between the 5th minute say, and their penalty, I thought we were coping okay, coming back into the game, and despite not looking that dangerous, if anything we had the better chances. But any chance we had was destroyed by the referee allowing those fouls to go unpunished (the LBM one in particular)

And the coverage on Sultana was ****ing awful. Talk about biased!!! At one point, after about half an hour, the commentator said something like "Liverpool have utterly dominated". This fella (Chelsea fan, but top bloke) looked at me quizzically, and said "have they? Apart from being on the back foot from the early goal, I thought you were doing ok, and were coming right back into it......." And they didn't even bother showing replays of a couple of those fouls that went unpunished, yet chose to drool over some slo-mo replay of Gerrard, with a circle around his head, running from midfield to the edge of our box (at which point nothing happened)
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Seem to remember Macca at half time saying something like "you wanted Liverpool to score" no Macca you poodle headed scouse ****wit, I did not want Liverpool to score.

I know he's a Liverpool man but he doesn't have to be so biased.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

sendô wrote:Seem to remember Macca at half time saying something like "you wanted Liverpool to score" no Macca you poodle headed scouse ****wit, I did not want Liverpool to score.
Made me laugh. Needed that. Cheers. :thup:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

sendô wrote:Seem to remember Macca at half time saying something like "you wanted Liverpool to score" no Macca you poodle headed scouse ****wit, I did not want Liverpool to score.

I used to quite like him as a player. But, he really does have a face you'd want to slap.
Hard.
With a cricket bat! :twisted:
Bedshammer

Post by Bedshammer »

westhamrobw wrote: Upson got blood on his original. We even got to see Matty in his briefs :wink:
Oh, we did. Pert little buttocks and all.