PSF: Grays Athletic 1 West Ham Utd 2 (12/07/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

red iron

PSF: Grays Athletic 1 West Ham Utd 2 (12/07/09)

Post by red iron »

Never been before but im going to the game on sunday and was wondering what people would recommend doing from an alcohol perspective... better to drink in london and arrive just before the game or are there enough places to drink when you get there?? and recommendations?

any help would be appreciated, cheers. :thup:
Dorset Hammer

Re: grays

Post by Dorset Hammer »

I wouldn't recommend drinking in Grays town centre, but there's a supporters bar there not too dissimilar to that at Dag & Red, which is very welcoming and very reasonable.

It overlooks the pitch too but they have to shut the curtains during the games due to some poxy law

My advice - go there!!!
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

i heard a very well known ex ICF face is the new owner of grays :wink:
TC10

Post by TC10 »

Went to this fixture last year, had a couple of pints in the bar as suggested above, no hassles. :thup:
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by Chavs »

Should make this the official match thread tbf

Firstly can I tell you how lucky you are to be visiting such an AWESOME town.

Places to drink - My advise don’t drink in the town centre unless you enjoy the company of crack heads, but crack is readily available through most of the estate next to the station called Seabrook if you are interested.

Things to do - The KFC has won awards for dirtiest and also slowest in the country and is in the top 10 'things to do' in Grays a photo opportunity and visit is highly recommended, next to the KFC is the local court and is more of a community centre for the locals where they go to catch up and share a can of Stella on the stairs, as you are visiting on a Saturday the highly cultural event that is the market will be going on where you can buy products from all over the world including Italian designer clobber and German sausages.

The local language - Us graysikes use the language of grunt if you need any directions ask any local and he will more than willingly grunt you in the wrong direction whilst rustling your pockets for any valuables and touching your kids.

Any questions please ask and i will help you.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

I8CHAVS wrote:Should make this the official match thread tbf

Places to drink - My advise don’t drink in the town centre unless you enjoy the company of crack heads, but crack is readily available through most of the estate next to the station called Seabrook if you are interested.

Things to do - The KFC has won awards for dirtiest and also slowest in the country and is in the top 10 'things to do' in Grays a photo opportunity and visit is highly recommended, next to the KFC is the local court and is more of a community centre for the locals where they go to catch up and share a can of Stella on the stairs, as you are visiting on a Saturday the highly cultural event that is the market will be going on where you can buy products from all over the world including Italian designer clobber and German sausages.

The local language - Us graysikes use the language of grunt if you need any directions ask any local and he will more than willingly grunt you in the wrong direction whilst rustling your pockets for any valuables and touching your kids.

The Town Crier has spoken about the San Diego of Essex... :lol:
Chavs
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by Chavs »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
The Town Crier has spoken about the San Diego of Essex... :lol:
Do not mention Diego within the same sentence as Essex :x

I reckon all round Dan1984's for a BBQ and booze up. He wont mind.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

I've decided im going to go because my football withdrawal symptoms are just too strong. But i really dont want to pay 20 quid to see our reserves. But if jimenez plays it will be beyond awesome.
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

hawkins_hammer wrote:I've decided im going to go because my football withdrawal symptoms are just too strong. But i really dont want to pay 20 quid to see our reserves. But if jimenez plays it will be beyond awesome.
I think I'll go - but I'm not sure if I want to see Jimenez make his debut in such inauspicious surroundings. Better to give his place to Dyer so that he can get in his first stint in the treatment room :wink:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Tsk Libero, get with the proj

Keiron's got his own wing open in his honour in the treatment room, its called The Straits.
libero
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

prophet:marginal wrote:Tsk Libero, get with the proj

Keiron's got his own wing open in his honour in the treatment room, its called The Straits.
A dire joke if ever I heard one. Talking of that long lost group, did you know that Chris Rea has taken over as singer from Mark Knopfler? They've changed their name to Dire Rea :?
red iron

Post by red iron »

Dorset Hammer wrote:I wouldn't recommend drinking in Grays town centre, but there's a supporters bar there not too dissimilar to that at Dag & Red, which is very welcoming and very reasonable.

It overlooks the pitch too but they have to shut the curtains during the games due to some poxy law

My advice - go there!!!
cheers mate, :thup:
red iron

Post by red iron »

I8CHAVS wrote:Should make this the official match thread tbf

haha brilliant!!
f*** a pub, those stairs sound good, i'll be there!! :lol:
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

I'm assuming you can get tickets on the door?
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

w6hammer wrote:i heard a very well known ex ICF face is the new owner of grays :wink:
I heard that too :think:
dan1984

Post by dan1984 »

I8CHAVS wrote:

Do not mention Diego within the same sentence as Essex :x

I reckon all round Dan1984's for a BBQ and booze up. He wont mind.
I only have a few cans of Skol Super and a 2 litre bottle of White Lightning will that do?

Another place that is a must when visiting the ghetto is The Pullman Tavern next to the train station.............a proper classy joint with a very upmarket clientle.
dan1984

Post by dan1984 »

July 07, 2009, 04:59 PM

Grays Athletic can confirm that the following first team players will be representing West Ham United at The New Recreation Ground in the pre-season friendly on Sunday 12th July, Both Zola and Clarke will be managing the side

Tickets will be avialble on the day for both home and away supporters, kick-off is at 15:00

GIANFRANCO ZOLA
STEVE CLARKE

DANIEL GABBIDON
JAMES COLLINS
JULIEN FAUBERT
JACK COLLISON
JOSH PAYNE
KIERON DYER
JUNIOR STANISLAS
SAVIO
HERITA ILUNGA
KELVIN DAVIS

from http://graysathletic.co.uk/
BabyClaret
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

Looks like the Kelvin Davis deal is sorted then.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

the rest will be kids then as there is only 10 players there.

if i see josh payne i will go say hi, see if he wants a fight!!
Memorial Ground

Post by Memorial Ground »

hammerbenj wrote:if i see josh payne i will go say hi, see if he wants a fight!!
And tell him FK tried it on with his sister.