West Ham Utd 1 Tottenham 2 (23/08/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs T*ttenham: match thread

Post by EvilC »

West Ham Matt wrote:Sometimes just lashing a boot at the goal is easier than having finesse. His miss on his left foot when he'd done well, sums him up.
It also ingores the massive shift that he put in for the team and a pretty good performance from him.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote: Yeah and it worked too didn't it ! How many times did we let a lead slip once we established it.
Matt of iron wrote:Bolton at home.
Bolton took a two goal lead.
We let the lead against Everton slip.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

To lose to Spurs is like Chinese Water Torture, ****ing agonising.
As for the performances I thought Faubert, Jimenez, Junior, Parker and Cole were impressive enough but the likes of Noble and Collison were woefully below par. Two errors cost us, but I wont sit and blame them entirely. We are still lacking not only a new striker, but the ability for our midfield boys to assist the likes of Cole and Jimenez up the top. Cole was holding up the ball brilliantly at times, but had no one to pass or lay off. We must react quicker.
I just don't get the hype with Mark Noble. Great goal last week at Wolves but he really isnt that special. When Behrami comes in, I'd drop Noble straight away.
As for Spurs, it's a big ****ing deal they won 3 games on spin. :lol: In fact we opened them up a few times, so the likes of Chelski, the Mancs and Arsenal will have a field day because for all their attacking, they'll leak goals. Entertaining, yes - but top four? No chance.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:To lose to Sp*rs is like Chinese Water Torture, f***ing agonising.
As for the performances I thought Faubert, Jimenez, Junior, Parker and Cole were impressive enough but the likes of Noble and Collison were woefully below par. Two errors cost us, but I wont sit and blame them entirely. We are still lacking not only a new striker, but the ability for our midfield boys to assist the likes of Cole and Jimenez up the top. Cole was holding up the ball brilliantly at times, but had no one to pass or lay off. We must react quicker.
I just don't get the hype with Mark Noble. Great goal last week at Wolves but he really isnt that special. When Behrami comes in, I'd drop Noble straight away.
As for Sp*rs, it's a big f***ing deal they won 3 games on spin. :lol: In fact we opened them up a few times, so the likes of Chelski, the Mancs and Arsenal will have a field day because for all their attacking, they'll leak goals. Entertaining, yes - but top four? No chance.

I'd say that is a very good assessment.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: We are still lacking not only a new striker, but the ability for our midfield boys to assist the likes of Cole and Jimenez up the top. .
It is the problem that has yet to be solved. It was there all last season and although better yesterday we still don't get enough support to Cole.

Cole actually seems more comfortable with the longer shot (yesterday and Wigan come to mind).

They cost, of course, but he needs an Andy Johnson or Defoe figure playing around him, ready to run onto a lay off, once Cole's brought down the ball to the floor.

I know that Nouble is obviously a bit beefier than that, but perhaps this is the role that he's being assessed for?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Or when we do DC, it's too late in coming and the opposition has gotten most of their defenders back..

Still thought we did some bloody good things..

Being too narrow doesn't work for us, remember that time Jimenez had the ball in the box and was trying to get around 4 Spuds and 2 of his own team mates..Happens far too often especially last year with Behrami....
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

prophet:marginal wrote:
Bolton took a two goal lead.
We let the lead against Everton slip.

He was asking when we let it slip under Curbs wans't he? :?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Or when we do DC, it's too late in coming and the opposition has gotten most of their defenders back..

Still thought we did some bloody good things..

Being too narrow doesn't work for us, remember that time Jimenez had the ball in the box and was trying to get around 4 Spuds and 2 of his own team mates..Happens far too often especially last year with Behrami....
The first point is very well made. Also, how many times was Lennon an out ball for them, stretching us all over the place. Something we just are not capable of replicating.
straco69

Post by straco69 »

after about 60mins you could see 1 or 2 flagging due to the heat and in some circumstances workrate, my concern as it always has been is when you looked to the bench we had { and i do not want to be disrespectful a they are young} not a lot of proven talent to either inspire or score a goal, which is as demoralising as the defeat itself because i feel the difference between our ist 11 and theirs was close.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Straco..

That was our problem last year too. Towards the end of the season how many youth players did we have on the bench.. about 4-5 out of the 7 iirc....

And the strength of a chain is it's weakest link...

Asking a 17 year old Chel$ki youth player to come on for the last 5 minutes and hope to change a match around says it all really...
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

Where was Savio?
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

PaulTheHammer wrote:Where was Savio?

Had the shits apparantly.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

straco69 wrote:after about 60mins you could see 1 or 2 flagging due to the heat and in some circumstances workrate, my concern as it always has been is when you looked to the bench we had { and i do not want to be disrespectful a they are young} not a lot of proven talent to either inspire or score a goal, which is as demoralising as the defeat itself because i feel the difference between our ist 11 and theirs was close.
I suppose we are still waiting on the return of Behrami, Illunga, Savio and Dyer to full fitness. Plus hopefully we can get this elusive new striker in who can help change the game. I would be more demoralised if things are the same state in a couple of months time. As it stands the window is still open and the season has just started.

Matt of iron wrote: He was asking when we let it slip under Curbs wans't he? :?
my mistake.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

prophet:marginal wrote:I know that Nouble is obviously a bit beefier than that, but perhaps this is the role that he's being assessed for?
Seems like a good plan. Giving the lad more than 90seconds might be an idea. I was annoyed Zola didn't just go for broke when they scored. I'd have flung on Hines and Nouble and gone three upfront.