West Ham Utd 2 Liverpool 3 (19/09/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

beckton wrote:We gonna score a goal! :raver:
Carragher og.
Favhammer

Post by Favhammer »

We gonna score a goal! :raver:[/quote]

think I would like to see ... and we will score at least one goal

RG
JF JT MU HI
VB SP JC
AD LJ
CC
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Favhammer wrote:
think I would like to see ... and we will score at least one goal

RG
JF JT MU HI
VB SP JC
AD LJ
CC
LAZY!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Under Pardew, Curbs etc and most of our managers I've always felt we could do some of the big teams at home and we have........Turning over big teams at Upton Park is something that we have always basked in and been successful at. At the moment I just don't feel it will happen, why? I've no idea...............maybe this Saturday.

:raver:
BabyClaret
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by BabyClaret »

I feel that whenever we play a big 4 team we just play 10 behind the ball, and then when we concede we're ****ed, its hard to get out of the defensive mentality and in an attacking mentality quickly.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

Whatever the result you can guarantee that **** Gerrard will score. Not looking forward to this one at all. If we don't concede before half time then we could well get something out of the game.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

Favhammer wrote: Green
Faubert Tomkins Upson Ilunga
Behrami Parker Collison
Diamante Jiminez
Cole
:thup: Exact team GZ should play
student_hammer
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by student_hammer »

does anyone think scotty parker is the problem? and does anyone think that perhaps behrami could do the exact same job in the centre of midfield, with his ball winning, combative style of play and actually add a little more purpose and class on the ball going forward than parker does. For me, although great defensively, this season parker seems to get caught on the ball or give it away a lot more than last season, and to be honest never looks like he'll play a match winning pass or pop up with a goal. i think a midfield 3 of

noble - behrami - collison

jiminez diamanti
cole

would be very interesting - its not like the three of noble, behrami and collison haven't got the engine and ball winning ability of parker - except all three offer so much more on the ball going forward.

thoughts?
Marc the Hammer

Post by Marc the Hammer »

davids cross wrote:Under Pardew, Curbs etc and most of our managers I've always felt we could do some of the big teams at home and we have........Turning over big teams at Upton Park is something that we have always basked in and been successful at. At the moment I just don't feel it will happen, why? I've no idea...............maybe this Saturday.

:raver:
Yeah i agree always felt we could nick it with Pardew or Curbs. Hope im proved wrong
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

I agree we need to be positive but against a quality side I don't think Zola should, or will, start with both Jiminez and Diamante.

If everyone is fit I expect us to go with the midfield that worked so well last year.

Behrami
Parker
Noble
Collison

Jiminez or Diamante behind Cole.

Be positive but keep things fairly tight and try and nick a 1-0 or 2-1.

Liverpool are still trying to find their rhythm away from home without Alonso in the middle.
Lucus doesn't cut it and they struggle to get Gerrard on the ball if you press them well and high up the pitch.
The boys will need to work their b*llocks off & Carlton will need to have a stormer, but we can get a result out of this one.

A late kick off should leave everyone nicely merry after a couple of extra loumouth soups in the pubs, so I'd hope the atmosphere is good. :crest:
lopsidedbunny

Post by lopsidedbunny »

We are not going to score with one player up front are we?
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Dunno, after the Wigan result I ought to be feeling very worried about this, but we know how West Ham work... I reckon we might draw or even nick a 1-0 win
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

lopsidedbunny wrote:We are not going to score with one player up front are we?
Maybe.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

student_hammer wrote:does anyone think scotty parker is the problem? and does anyone think that perhaps behrami could do the exact same job in the centre of midfield, with his ball winning, combative style of play and actually add a little more purpose and class on the ball going forward than parker does. For me, although great defensively, this season parker seems to get caught on the ball or give it away a lot more than last season, and to be honest never looks like he'll play a match winning pass or pop up with a goal.
Parker was great at Spuds, looked lackluster the last match because he was asked to do some attacking while Kovac pulled out a beach chair and played defensive mid. To me, if we're playing a four man midfield, than I'll have Noble getting forward and Parker playing deep, Behrami on the right, Collison on the left. If we're going all Christmas Tree, then Parker would have to be the man mopping up the back, with whoever is on the right and left covering for the fullbacks from time to time. The key to our wide play, especially fullback, comes out of all of the work Parker does giving players the freedom to get forward and the way he can hold up in the midfield to let attackers get forward when given the proper support. It's also what gets us our nice passing football instead of this heaving it up to Cole nonsense.

Besides, the one glaring mistake he made last week was down to Kovac running and stopping for no reason whatsoever, and then looking all innocent bystander as the ball slowly rolled past him (IMO).
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

Favhammer wrote: Green
Faubert Tomkins Upson Ilunga
Behrami Parker Collison
Diamante Jiminez
Cole
A must win game.

If Zola doesn't field this starting line up something's seriously wrong with his perceptions. If Ilunga is fit, play him.
But I fear he will be cautious again and have him on the bench along with Jimenez, Collison and Behrami. I'm half expecting Daprela to be named this time at LB, we've had Spector and Gabbs filling in for Herita so far, which i feel are unsettling the team.

I hope he has learnt the errors of his ways and becomes a lot bolder and more confident in starting the aforementioned players because we need to be well up for this match. From the start with creativity in our forward movement.

If Behrami doesn't start at least I will be very surprised and somewhat offside with what Zola seeks to accomplish.

Anyway I'm going for an optimistic 2-1 win. COYI :crest:
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

IIIronss wrote:---------------------Green--------------------
Faubert---Tomkins------Upson-------Ilunga
-------------Parker------Behrami-------------
Diamanti------------Noble--------------Jiminez
---------------------Cole-----------------------

Can't see us getting anything from the game though. :(
I came into this thread about to post that exact same lineup and formation. I think having Parker and Behrami as defensive midfielders will let the fullbacks get forward more often. Love to see Jimenez playing in an overlapping Ilunga...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd deffo have Diamanti up top with Cole for this, but I'd be more cautious and play a 4 man midfield rather than put Jiminez in. Liverpool are a good team and we will need that energy and bite in the midfield that Collison, Parker and Behrami give us. Add Noble to the top of the diamond. Jiminez would be a good option on the bench if we need to change things.

Is Dyer dead again?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

student_hammer wrote:does anyone think scotty parker is the problem? and does anyone think that perhaps behrami could do the exact same job in the centre of midfield, with his ball winning, combative style of play and actually add a little more purpose and class on the ball going forward than parker does. For me, although great defensively, this season parker seems to get caught on the ball or give it away a lot more than last season, and to be honest never looks like he'll play a match winning pass or pop up with a goal. i think a midfield 3 of

noble - behrami - collison

jiminez diamanti
cole

would be very interesting - its not like the three of noble, behrami and collison haven't got the engine and ball winning ability of parker - except all three offer so much more on the ball going forward.

thoughts?
Yes I do, Big time
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

--------------------Cole--------
Hines----Nouble----Diamanti----Jiminez
Parker------Upson------Illunga------Tomkins
-------------Collison-------Green

Maybe with Collison playing just behind Green, they won't expect it, especially if we play Rush Goalie and use the atttack attack attack attack attack game play with the revolving rotational formations, emphasis on whoever is not near the ball getting as close as possible to it, shoot on sight, tackle at knee level and from behind wherever possible... obviously the crowd should boo any player that is not getting stuck in whilst smoking, standing, swearing, drinking in your seats, pitch invasions following any goals are also a good idea, the referee on past experience is keen on pleasuring himself, remember handball because from the moment the whistle goes the visiting fans will be looking for it, Gerrard will dive at one stage looking for someone to get sent of or a penalty. Also it has been requested that on behalf of Liverpool FC we will be having a minutes silence for Patrick Swayze.
Some of the above might not be a good idea.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Yea, Georgee.
A minutes silence for Swayze? A ****ing stupid idea that! :lol: