West Ham Utd 2 Liverpool 3 (19/09/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Favhammer

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Favhammer »

LAZY![/quote]

FOIANL
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

People saying that Lucas is their weak link don't seem to remember though he ran the midfield in the same fixture last season
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Midfield Dynamo wrote:People saying that Lucas is their weak link don't seem to remember though he ran the midfield in the same fixture last season
Says a lot about us. Didnt we shoot ourselves in the foot in that game and gift them a two goal lead?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

- a worse start for us than the Tevez season
- inability to score goals against weak sides like blackburn and wigan
- sloppy goals conceded v spurs and wigan
- we scored what three goals against the WHOLE top six last year

-the latter point is the REALLY scary one...sure we battled a few good points, but Zola's formation against these sides HAS to change this year

on paper we havent got a ****ing chance, and if we concede a goal at any stage i just cant see us ever getting more than a point against anyone

will they score ( probably) will we score (possibly maybe) will we score more than one ( what are you smoking you ***t!?)

1-1 at best*

*you see if Diamante doesnt whack in a hat-trick :lol: :lol:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

sendô wrote:I'd deffo have Diamanti up top with Cole for this, but I'd be more cautious and play a 4 man midfield rather than put Jiminez in. Liverpool are a good team and we will need that energy and bite in the midfield that Collison, Parker and Behrami give us. Add Noble to the top of the diamond. Jiminez would be a good option on the bench if we need to change things.

Is Dyer dead again?
:lol:
I agree with that. I feel we need to have that bite to stand a chance

Someone earlier (DC?) posted that under Pardew, and also Curbs, you always felt we stood a chance against the top 4, whereas under Zola we haven't come close to beating any of them. My feeling is that under Zola we try and match them, and use footballing skill, quick passing, etc to beat them. It's the wrong approach, imo

Under Pardew we did very well against Arsenal in particular. I used to regularly say "they don't like it up 'em", and it was that approach, imo, that brought us success. We need a bit of that back to stand a chance against the top teams

Sure, we still need to have a bit of quality in the final third. But most important is to win the battle. Not really a quality you readily associate with Zola, but we ain't gonna beat these teams with pure football. So we need a solid defence, and an even more solid midfield

I feel we need Behrami & Collison to work their socks off in midfield, with Parker between them in the holding role. Not sure if I'd go with Gabbs or Tomkins in the middle, assuming Ilunga is back

It's the 3 players furthest forward where the dilemma is. Well, the 2 players between the solid 3 midfielders & Cole. I'd be tempted to start with the diamond from last season, with Noble at the tip, and then it's a toss up between Jimenez & Diamanti. Must admit I'd probably go with Jimi. It's also gives us options to change the formation later in the game if we need to
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Agree with you there Stu, the passion and "up and at em" attitude hasn't been there in Zolas games with the top 4 at UP. We try to match their football which we can't, they just have better players, we have to bring other things to the table. We played ok at home to Arse and Manure but ultimately we failed in both.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

sendô wrote:Is Dyer dead again?

Nope, I'm still here :raver:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

We came quite close to beating Chelsea at their gaff last year Stu, and to be fair we had a decent chance of a win at Anfield too.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

missed the game on saturday but by all accounts hines was our best player?

why is everyone ignoring him now, if the lad is full of confidence then start him again with cfc.

at least let's try and be a bit positive!
Midfield Dynamo

Post by Midfield Dynamo »

Dyer is shocking lads , when does his contract end , thats the way he is leaving West ham , noone we offer any amount of tranfer fee for him.
Neil.C
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Neil.C »

I'm optimistic for the game, probably misplaced but we always do better against quality sides.
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Someone earlier (DC?) posted that under Pardew, and also Curbs, you always felt we stood a chance against the top 4, whereas under Zola we haven't come close to beating any of them. My feeling is that under Zola we try and match them, and use footballing skill, quick passing, etc to beat them. It's the wrong approach, imo
Are you mental... last season we matched both man u and chelsea. Unlucky not to win either of those games. The 1-0 defeat to man u me and my mate had a tenner on and he wouldnt take it off me because wedeserved to win so much!

:think:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Big_Russ wrote:Are you mental... last season we matched both man u and chelsea. Unlucky not to win either of those games. The 1-0 defeat to man u me and my mate had a tenner on and he wouldnt take it off me because wedeserved to win so much!

:think:
f*** me, being called mental by a Cornishman........must be some sort of all time low! :wink:

Okay, maybe I over-egged the pudding slightly. But the original point stands, imo. That is under Pardew, and Curbs to a lesser extent, I really felt we had a chance in these games. Probably due to the more physical counter-attacking way we were set up

It's a decent point you're making though. Maybe it's just a case of getting one decent result over a top 4 side playing Zola's way, and it'll give us more confidence in future games
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

You devon lot are so easily offended! :wink:

At least we don't have :arry: in charge!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/pr ... EASON=1998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Big_Russ wrote: Are you mental... last season we matched both man u and chelsea. Unlucky not to win either of those games. The 1-0 defeat to man u me and my mate had a tenner on and he wouldnt take it off me because wedeserved to win so much!
Russ, we haven't made our name for upsetting the top teams on a regular basis by unluckily losing 1-0. Unlucky losses don't stay with me. We have turned these teams over pretty regularly under all managers and that's the point. You can play as well as you want but it's true grit and courage and a massive workrate over all of the 90 mins that gets you over the line in top 4 games, and that's something that we haven't managed under Zola as yet. As I said earlier maybe this Saturday.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

We can get close to that level under Zola - draws against Chelsea and Liverpool were examples. What we lack right now is Bellamy (or an equivalent), so I can't see us getting there again yet.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

Totally appreciate and understand what you are saying DC as i love beating the top 4 teams and like you say we have recently made a habit of doing so, but if you look at the season as a whole when we done that we either got relegated or was bloody close, give me top 10 anyday of the week!!
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

I may be wrong but I don't think we've beaten the top teams on what you could call a regular basis, we were spoilt a bit under Curbs but more often than not we still lose theses games and the ones we do win just stick in the memory.

We probably average out one big result a year and after doing doubles over Man U and Le Arse maybe we used up a bit of luck a couple of years back, those special days will come again and hopefully on Sat.
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

Picking up from what someone posted earlier I would play Gabbs alongside Upson if Ilunga's back.

I like Tomkins but feel he is left wanting against tougher competition not to mention the U21 schedule(s) he is on too.

As an aside I watched him playing for England against Greece (U21) on either the 8th or 9th of this month and he almost gifted a similar goal to the one Cole did against Spuds to the Greek striker with only the goalkeeper to beat and in yards of space.

Needless to say there was a huge sigh of relief when the striker screwed it up from Tomkins who, for the most part played quite well. Rest him and give Gabbs 2 games in a row. :crest:
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

hammerbenj wrote:missed the game on saturday but by all accounts hines was our best player?

why is everyone ignoring him now, if the lad is full of confidence then start him again with cfc.

at least let's try and be a bit positive!
Hines was definitely a bright spot, but he was still another absentee in support of Cole. If Jimmy is still out, though, I would be in favor of putting him back up top with Diamonds behind the two.