West Ham Utd 2 Liverpool 3 (19/09/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Re: West Ham Utd vs Liverpool: match thread

Post by Chuck D »

JesusShoes wrote:

LOL with us being so far in the back of the pack..... I figured most everyone knows this by now. Headbanger
You might be the saviour's footwear, but I really have no idea what that post means :lol:
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

An interesting perspective from RAWK
I just watched a replay of the match and I'm no longer that worried about our team performance.

Yes, it is true that West Ham are more fluid and coherent in attack than we are.
Yes, they did give us big problems with their passing, movement, and hold-up play.
Yes, they did read most of our passes well and intercepted/disrupted/tackled their way to safety will considerable consistency.

But they did all these running their lungs out. We didn't look like a real team out there at times, but we weren't operating even near our physical peak (except for Benayoun who appears to be locked into his top gear always, and for anything). We might have had a close win, but looking at it this way, the Hammers were bound to fade and we were almost guaranteed chances later in the game. Only the sort of ginseng-powered wonder that was Guus Hiddink's 2006 South Korea team could have gone at us like West Ham did for the whole 90 mins and then some.
The fella described it as an unsustainable game plan but when Behrami, Jiminez and Collison return, there should be every chance of it working well, or better.
Its a bit odd, actually, that the opposition forum has more positive comments about the team than on here.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I make that bloke from rawk absolutely bang on with what he said.
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

I can understand us being "disciplined" in defence, but christ we sat back far too much. We invited Liverpool pressure because of how deep we were willing to sit (i think this was the only point made by Waddle that I actually agreed with) We were STILL standing back when Liverpool got inside our area, and only a few lucky blocks spared our blushes. On the subject of defending the area, I wish we wouldnt fanny about with the ball - get the bloody thing clear!

The best form of defence = Attack (but unfortunately we only seem to attack when we go a goal behind?)

We did next to nothing after Liverpool's third goal and some are prepared to put this down to our 'tiredness' but i dont buy that excuse - the 11 men out on that pitch are trained athletes who get paid thousands to go out there and bust a gut.

Still, onwards and upwards

COYI :crest:
Hammerhead9

Post by Hammerhead9 »

Agreed our passing and composure on the ball was mostly well short of what it has and can be but it occured to me during the game and amidst tactical options available to peg back goals conceded quickly against quality opposition, that you allow (for want of a better word) or lure the opposition to come at your defense only to hit them on the counter should their attack break down.

I repeat, against quality opposition, and where we have gone a goal down because by all accounts it would of been difficult to match up with the bindippers.

Sure it's risky, that we allowed them to come at us deep and this brought back our midfield deeper into defense as well but at certain points in the match ( 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 ) it was evident that part of the game plan was to do just that. Of course our goals came from set pieces but look at the breakneck pace of the game and you realise that we were forever trying to counter attack.

The tracking back by our midfield to assist defenders does create a sense of crowding in and just outside the 18yd area but if opposition turn it over then it's 2 short passes out before Zavon and Carlton are streaming towards goal behind the opposition defensive half and into our attacking one. :crest:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Claretandblueyank wrote:I even showed them my season ticket. It must be said, however, that an Irish mate was with me; so that may have had something to do with it too :lol:
Ah, well there you go ...

Rank behaviour on the pub's part though. Did you ever get an explanation?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

The Iraqi Arms is always a bit like that :wink:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hammerhead9 wrote:Agreed our passing and composure on the ball was mostly well short of what it has and can be but it occured to me during the game and amidst tactical options available to peg back goals conceded quickly against quality opposition, that you allow (for want of a better word) or lure the opposition to come at your defense only to hit them on the counter should their attack break down.
This season we have turned in 3 good performances, and 3 pretty indifferent ones.

The good ones have come against teams who have come at us and had a real go (and afforded us space in the process as you suggest)

The three poor ones have come against relatively defensive teams (who have shut up shop)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'd say that our poorest performance came against Millwall
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

prophet:marginal wrote:I'd say that our poorest performance came against Millwall
Blackburn was pretty dire. Millwall at least had a go at us and made it hard to break them down, versus Blackburn we barely tried.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

That's probably not so bad an assessment (I didn't go to Ewood), but Millwall are two divisions below us - and they gave us a lesson in pass and move to the point that I was watching half with my head in my hands!

As a side note, their right full back (the black dude) was the best player on the pitch that night. In the 90 minutes anyway.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

The game's over lads ~ move on..

:lol:

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:The game's over lads ~ move on..

Coming from Mr 'I like to labour the point, to the point where it causes mass depression in the ranks'. :lol:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:

Coming from Mr 'I like to labour the point, to the point where it causes mass depression in the ranks'. :lol:
Did someone call?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:The game's over lads ~ move on..

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
That's blatantly unfair and uncalled for..

(it only applies to Beatles albums)

:P