Stoke City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (17/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Benny the Ball
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Re: Stoke v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by Benny the Ball »

Dannyboylister wrote:Am I the only one who is convinced that Ethers dived yesterday. Faubert pulled out of the tackle and Ethers just dragged his leg behind him and went down.
Absolutely correct. I watched the game live and have seen the slow-motion replays re-run countless times. Faubert went to ground but made no challenge. Etherington just left his left leg behind him as soon as he go to the edge of the box, making it appear as a trip...it is clear that there was no contact.

BtB
neathiron
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 335 likes

Post by neathiron »

What is it with players either scoring their first goals for the opposition/season/10 years syndrome against West Ham. Always pissed me off that has. Just shows we've gone back to being a soft touch in defence again. Said it in a previous thread and i'll stick by it that we would have had more points if Collins hadn't been sold. I reckon Steve Potts even would have scored if he played against West Ham. Headbanger
Neil.C
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Neil.C »

derek zoolander wrote:
I'm not sure about the Hine's thing. It seems logical to me to have him playing up front with Cole. Both are quite pacy, and Cole is one of the best at holding up the ball and playing it off. I personally would take Hine's in that team over Diamanti if i'm honest and that's what I was kind of pointing towards in my last post.

I don't think Diamanti brings a whole lot to our team performance and I would rather we sacrificed his attacking midfield position in place of Hines as an out and out striker who imo would probably contribute far more to the whole cause and is as we have seen a constant annoyance/danger to the opposition defense.
Couldn't agree more.

I really think an experiment with Cole and Hines together up front may bring dividends. There are many precedents in the past of a big striker holding the ball/getting knockdowns and a fast smaller bloke picking up the scraps although of course with Carlton we have a good goalscorer as well .

When we are defending at least if the ball goes out of our defence Carlton would have somebody to play off rather than be as isolated as he is now because it seems to me that at the moment our midfielders are too timid to join into attack quick enough to help out our lone striker.
Essex Hammer 1992

Post by Essex Hammer 1992 »

What was the atmosphere like lads?

Stoke fan I know had nothing good to say about our away support. :think:
beckton

Post by beckton »

Essex Hammer 1992 wrote:

Stoke didn't live up to their reputation, we out-sung them most of the game.
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

Just saw the "highlights" of the match. Green's spilling of the second goal was pretty lame. I havent been overly impressed with Green so far this year. A good keeper...but if we get a decent price for him, I wont be heartbroken if he has to go. Dont get me wrong, I rate him...but not as much as a lot on here seem to.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

jjwred7 wrote:Just saw the "highlights" of the match. Green's spilling of the second goal was pretty lame. I havent been overly impressed with Green so far this year. A good keeper...but if we get a decent price for him, I wont be heartbroken if he has to go. Dont get me wrong, I rate him...but not as much as a lot on here seem to.
To be fair he hasn't been at his best this year , but he's good enough for England , and I supect he's getting a little more exposed due to defence failings .

26 corners away to Bolton for example .Most keeepers would struggle .

Would prefer to keep him , but can't argue about yesterday .

Funnily enough Shay Given did almost exactly the same for Citeh today - a carbon copy so to speak , and most would agree he's a good keeper , so it can happen to the best of them .
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

the pink palermo wrote: To be fair he hasn't been at his best this year , but he's good enough for England , and I supect he's getting a little more exposed due to defence failings .

26 corners away to Bolton for example .Most keeepers would struggle .

Would prefer to keep him , but can't argue about yesterday .

Funnily enough Shay Given did almost exactly the same for Citeh today - a carbon copy so to speak , and most would agree he's a good keeper , so it can happen to the best of them .
Agreed Pink. He is a good keeper. I am just not sure we all would rate him quite as highly if he wasnt a Hammer. Seems to have been making more "James-like" errors this year than in the past. But all things being equal I would obviously be happy if we DONT have to sell him!!!
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

It would help Green if Upson and Tomkins did their f*cking job properly.

Upson dived in and messed it up completely for their winner and the less said about Tomkins half arsed attempt which let Fuller play it straight across the 6 yard box the better.............
jjwred7

Post by jjwred7 »

smuts wrote:It would help Green if Upson and Tomkins did their f*cking job properly.

Upson dived in and messed it up completely for their winner and the less said about Tomkins half arsed attempt which let Fuller play it straight across the 6 yard box the better.............
Lol...I agree Smuts, but that is a whole different discussion!! :lol: I was just a little surprised Green let it spill. Seemed like one he could have held on to from the highlights I saw.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Dannyboylister wrote:Am I the only one who is convinced that Ethers dived yesterday. Faubert pulled out of the tackle and Ethers just dragged his leg behind him and went down.
No mate.
As soon as I saw it I said to the bloke next to me it was a dive and I knew I wasn't a Claret and Blue specs judgement call. A few of our players were giving Ethers a piece of their mind and he looked slightly uncomfortable before Beattie took the penalty.
Watched the highlights last night and I was spitting nails. And to think we clapped the little gambling degenerate before the game!
Essex Hammer 1992 wrote:What was the atmosphere like lads?
I thought it was a decent atmosphere.
Like someone has said, we outsung them most of the game.
DickyBoy!

Post by DickyBoy! »

Beckton's view is spot on and would add the following myself:

<Quote: >We had a lot of possession yesterday but I don't agree with some of the previous posters that said we created plenty of chances. Stoke were definately there for the taking yesterday, we had more than enough possession to have a proper crack at them if we'd driven forward and not spread the ball from side to side so much.

We have the same problem we have had all season, Cole is isolated, we don't get enough players in the box, we lack a cutting edge and keep on making schoolboy defensive errors that cost us goals. Agreed. Follows on from my 1st point above. With 5 across midfield, we really should've pushed on to get more bodies in the box rather than just pin our hopes on a lone striker

The ref was a homer and gave everything to Stoke but Diamanti didn't help our cause by constantly falling over from the slight breeze. Agreed again. Both the Ref and the Lino (main stand side) were less than f**g useless. Everytime Carlton got close to the ball with a defender/goalie he blew for a foul. Shocking display.

As usual the formation doesn't work and the substitutions are left to late, why can't we have Hines or Franco playing with or just behind Cole, please! Agreed. Why were the Subs warming up ALL game and then given f**k all time to change the outcome of the game. I thought all the Subs made an impact when they came on and at 2-1 down with bags of time left to go, should have been brought on much, much earlier. Upson's 'free header' proves how easy Stoke were to turn over in their area.... just wished we'd been more direct, with younger blood to do it with.

Our support was noisy as always. We could here the party going on in the Bar under the seats from the Car Park as we arrived.... Cue Beach Balls and god knows how many plastic beer bottles spraying us all with lager flying around. :raver: "Lets go f***g mental" To be fair, Stoke's fans were noisy... but only once they'd scored :thdn: Chav c**ts all the same :lol:
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote: No mate.
As soon as I saw it I said to the bloke next to me it was a dive and I knew I wasn't a Claret and Blue specs judgement call. A few of our players were giving Ethers a piece of their mind and he looked slightly uncomfortable before Beattie took the penalty.
Watched the highlights last night and I was spitting nails. And to think we clapped the little gambling degenerate before the game!
I've watched the replay 20 times, and I don't know where Faubert even makes contact. Ethers looked like he was expecting to a ride a challenge and just fell when Faubert tried to make a pointless tackle.

The second goal is just as ambiguous. For my money Beattie was pulling Faubert with his right hand and trying to beat him to the inside. Can't really give Atkinson a hard time for the goals though, as I'm having a tough time judging the fouls...but I can't help but think we keep getting screwed by these close calls. I'm the last person to complain about officiating, but it certainly feels like the calls aren't going our way at the moment (although, there are a few times they have gone our way and we just simply fail to capitalize).
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Did Faubert look hard done by when the ref blew up?

Not really...he knew he caught him...and even laughed to himself when the yellow came out.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

I wonder if someone spoke to him about that, though. Faubert argues challenges when he two foots someone in the ankle. He definitely has a temper, and it's been on display for the past few matches.

The angles in the highlights make it tough to tell. The only thing I can see is that his right foot might have caught Matty's foot, as Faubert was coming in with his left to get the ball but then held back. It was a stupid challenge to begin with, though.

Edit: Looked at it for the 47th time, and Etherington either A) had a poor touch on the ball which forced him to try and change directions or B) knew the challenge was coming and purposely decided not to continue towards goal, and instead cut to the byline to draw a foul. Again, can't blame the officiating because it's just too damn close to call.

Double Edit: or C) as a player who favors his left was cutting back on to his left...although we've seen him run straight to goal and blast one several times before with either foot.
Last edited by westhamerica on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

smuts wrote:Did Faubert look hard done by when the ref blew up?

Not really...he knew he caught him...and even laughed to himself when the yellow came out.
Seemed more like a laugh and head shake of disbelief to be honest mate. He didn't touch him, it's clear.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So, two highly dubious decisions have been given against Faubert in consecutive away games

(he got the ball first in the 2nd half at COMS - when we were still at 2-1 down)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote:So, two highly dubious decisions have been given against Faubert in consecutive away games

(he got the ball first in the 2nd half at COMS - when we were still at 2-1 down)
True.

But thats what happens to players not playing in their natural position - they put themselves in a position where the ref makes a call , and if he gets it wrong ...........

FWIW I thought Ethers did a borderline dive , and Faubert hung himself by sticking his leg out, realising his error, and trying to pull it back .

Naive by Faubert , naughty by Etherington .
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

westhamerica wrote:
The second goal is just as ambiguous. For my money Beattie was pulling Faubert with his right hand and trying to beat him to the inside. Can't really give Atkinson a hard time for the goals though, as I'm having a tough time judging the fouls...but I can't help but think we keep getting screwed by these close calls. I'm the last person to complain about officiating, but it certainly feels like the calls aren't going our way at the moment (although, there are a few times they have gone our way and we just simply fail to capitalize).
Does anyone think that our manager might need to put a bit of pressure on the refs about this?

We have the Wigan goal that wasnt, and these two.

He needs one of those wrist bands, like the Christians (the religion, not the 80's pop group) have, saying "What would Jesus do"?

Only with Jesus taken out, and "Fergie" (the red nosed Taggartalike, not the former Duchess of York, or that bird from black eyed peas) put in.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

prophet:marginal wrote:So, two highly dubious decisions have been given against Faubert in consecutive away games

Don't be daft. He is an awful right back and we should be starting the reliable Jonathan Spector!