Stoke City 2 West Ham Utd 1 (17/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Re: Stoke v West Ham: Match Thread

Post by last.caress »

Chuck D wrote:
He needs one of those wrist bands, like the Christians (the religion, not the 80's pop group) have, saying "What would Jesus do"?

Only with Jesus taken out, and "Fergie" (the red nosed Taggartalike, not the former Duchess of York, or that bird from black eyed peas) put in.

"What would Fergie (the red nosed Taggartalike, not the former Duchess of York, or that bird from Black Eyed Peas) do?" is a pretty ****ing big wristband. Perhaps GZ could wrap it around his face instead.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Chuck D wrote: Does anyone think that our manager might need to put a bit of pressure on the refs about this?

We have the Wigan goal that wasnt, and these two.

He needs one of those wrist bands, like the Christians (the religion, not the 80's pop group) have, saying "What would Jesus do"?

Only with Jesus taken out, and "Fergie" (the red nosed Taggartalike, not the former Duchess of York, or that bird from black eyed peas) put in.
I do. I think the Mr. Nice Guy thing has to have a line, and I think right now it should have been crossed.

There's also the Carlton Cole foul on Lescott that never was...the Hines foul at Liverpool that was...the magical half time whistle...

Like I said, I'm not one to complain about officiating (because I am one in a different sport). But the general standard of officiating across the league has been WOEFUL. Fouls for challenges they would only call in Spain and South America. Never ending incorrect offside calls (from what I'm told, they are supposed to favor the attacker :lol: ). The only positive I've seen is that officials are less likely to call fouls against forwards going up for headers against keepers, which seemed to me to be a foregone conclusion over the past few seasons (as a foul against the striker). It is absolutely strange to me the fouls they call, and the ones they don't. Except for the ones they don't at Old Trafford, where I completely understand why they don't call them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think teams are working out how to 'play' us.

Upson got ruled by Kamara, of all players, recently.

A procession of centre backs seem to get foul after foul out of Cole, simply by crumpling to the floor once they know he's got to the ball faster.

Faubert's a whistle-magnet.

We're getting 'played' off the pitch at the moment.
WHamZam

Post by WHamZam »

westhamerica wrote:
I do. I think the Mr. Nice Guy thing has to have a line, and I think right now it should have been crossed.

There's also the Carlton Cole foul on Lescott that never was...the Hines foul at Liverpool that was...the magical half time whistle...

Like I said, I'm not one to complain about officiating (because I am one in a different sport). But the general standard of officiating across the league has been WOEFUL. Fouls for challenges they would only call in Spain and South America. Never ending incorrect offside calls (from what I'm told, they are supposed to favor the attacker :lol: ). The only positive I've seen is that officials are less likely to call fouls against forwards going up for headers against keepers, which seemed to me to be a foregone conclusion over the past few seasons (as a foul against the striker). It is absolutely strange to me the fouls they call, and the ones they don't. Except for the ones they don't at Old Trafford, where I completely understand why they don't call them.
What is it with you refs and Old Trafford??? :lol:
comeonyouirons
Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Post by comeonyouirons »

Any trouble there this year? Or did the OB have it sewn up?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Zola annoyed me a bit saturday with his line up. We've all been screaming for 4-4-2 for ages. We all know the 4-3-3-/4-5-1 doesn't work, Cole keeps getting left isolated. He had the personel out there. The players from last season's sucessful diamond midfield were all there (Kovac for Parker but still). Diamanti could go up top and play off of Carlton. Collison left. Behrami right. Kovac holding. Noble feeding the front two. Why be all defensive? It's ****ing Stoke for f*** sake, Zola, get forward, pass the ball around them, get it in the box, test the keeper.

If you are playing a team renound for scoring from long balls and set pieces, you do not, repeat DO NOT pack out the midfield with 5 players. It's a waste. You do that against passing teams. Like Arsenal.

Huth should have gone the dirty kraut b*stard. Shocking behaviour.
rusty Iron

Post by rusty Iron »

In the 2002 season when we went down, we beat Chelski 3-2 away...anyone remember Huth fouled Kanoute, who was then out for 2 months.........time for some payback, but I'm not sure we have anyone who could/would do that now...........the whole team's too "nice".......Bonds, Cross, Dicks etc. Ruddock even.........who is the hitman who could settle a score now? Parker?