Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 2 (31/10/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Sunderland 2 West Ham Utd 2 (31/10/09)

Post by Happyhammer93 »

Can't see one for this game so thought I would start one.
Here is the team I would like to see start:

GK: Green
LB: Illunga
CB: Upson
CB: Tomkins
RB: Spector
RM: Behrami
CM: Kovac
CM: Diamanti
LM: Collison
CF: Cole
CF: Hines

Subs: Kurucz, Faubert, Da Costa, Noble, Jiminez, Stanislas, Franco

Giving Cole that extra support yesterday was vital and helped him as he had less defenders on him. Hines has that bit of pace that will cause defenders worry and played well yesterday when he came on. Diamanti was great yesterday and showed that he does have something to offer us other than good set pieces - still not seen that he has the stamina to last 90 minutes. Also his crossing was much better than Noble's. I thought Spector played well and desevre's to keep his place in the starting line up.

Must win game for us with two tough fixtures coming up but after yesterday's result I think that we will win 2 - 0 with Cole and Hines scoring.
Last edited by Happyhammer93 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: West Ham vs Sunderland: Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

A West Ham clean sheet. Lovely idea, but it seems that this is the team's achilles heel at the moment.

I'd start us with Diamante and Cole up front together, with Noble alongside Kovac in the centre of the park.

After 60-70 minutes, either go 4-3-3, by introducing Hines for a midfielder, or stay 4-4-2 (Hines on for Diamante).

I see Sunderland as being not so good in defence, but quite dangerous in attacking any team, top 4 included.
Either Bent or Jones will score against us.

I'd be happy with a point anyway.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

With Parker in the team I had this nailed on for an away win.

With Kovac, I'm not so sure.

There's a bit of me that would plonk Stanislas on the right and Behrami in the holding position - just so the energy levels dont drop in the way they do when Kovac is there.

Otherwise I agree with HH93's team.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Sunderland v West Ham match thread you spanner!!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

Shush ILYD, we could get this played at Upton Park........ :lol:
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

davids cross wrote:Shush ILYD, we could get this played at Upton Park........ :lol:
I'd sooner it was away tbh DC... :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Re: Sunderland vs West Ham: Match Thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

4-4-1-1 will probaly be the order of the day, but I would prefer to see us with a 3-5-2 formation. That would ensure we keep Kenwyn Jones and Bent quiet which we will have to do in order to come away from there with any points. Anton Ferdinand is still a weak link in their centre of any defence so we have to try and exploit that and by playing on the break we can do that.We can now go into this match with a bit more self confidence which makes all the difference. I'm still keeping a brake on things but a week ago I gave us no hope at all for this match, but that sterling 2nd half effort against Arsenal yesterday which saw us come back from the dead can give us that little bit more self confidence going into this match

Green,

Tomkins, Upson, Gabbers

Faubert, Behrami, Collison, Hines, Ilunga

Diamond Geezer, Cole
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Puff Daddy wrote:
Green,

Tomkins, Upson, Gabbers

Diamond Geezer, Cole
Is this a joke? Firstly, we will get mullered if we face Bent and Jones with three defenders. Secondly- Ilunga in midfield? Hines at centre mid? Faubert at a position in which he has always looked slow and short of ideas for us?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

For this one, I might have gone with the same starting 11 as Sunday with Kovac coming in for Parker .

However , Bruce appears to prefer Richardson at FB to McCartney at the moment , and as such Hines' pace could be a real asset .

So I'm going
GK-Green
LB-Illunga
CB=Tomkins
CB- Upson
RB- Spector
LM-Collison
CM-Noble
CM-Kovac
RM-Behrami
CF-Cole
CF-Hines

4-4-2

Diamanti ,Stanislas,Gabbidon,Faubert,Franco, Kurzcz on the bench with Diamanti coming on early second half if trailing, late second half if drawing .
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

4-4-2. Play to our strengths.

Green
Faubert
Upson
Tomkins
Spector
Diamanti
Noble
Kovac
Jiminez
Hines
Cole
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

To Iloveyoudaily, no it is not a joke. In my line up, Ilunga will not be midfielder, he will be a wing back which he is what he really is. Secondly, three central defenders should be able to cope with any set of twin strikers. Well, if they are any good they should.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Puff Daddy wrote:To Iloveyoudaily, no it is not a joke. In my line up, Ilunga will not be midfielder, he will be a wing back which he is what he really is. Secondly, three central defenders should be able to cope with any set of twin strikers. Well, if they are any good they should.
iloveyoudailly, if you don't mind! Do you honestly think that Ilunga will be able to cope with being a wing back when he, on yesterday's evdiecne, can scarcely hold his own at left back? And considering Jones and Bent are banging them in for fun at the moment, and Upson and Tomkins have been far from consistent this season and the fact that Gabbers has barelly played in the PL since 2008, I would have to say that no, our back three will not be able to cope with arguably the PL's most in-from front two.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2701 likes

Post by sendô »

I'd be tempted to bring Behrami into Parker's role, stick Noble on the right and play Diamanti at the tip of the diamond. I'd also like to see Hines start. Jiminez and Stanislas on the bench give us options if needs be, as I guess could Faubert and Kovac. Keeping Bent and Jones quiet is key, although rumour has it the former has a knee injury.

Hopefully they'll take confidence from teh Arsenal fightback into mackemland, and stay tight at the back for the first time since Wolves.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Puff Daddy wrote:4-4-1-1 will probaly be the order of the day, but I would prefer to see us with a 3-5-2 formation. That would ensure we keep Kenwyn Jones and Bent quiet which we will have to do in order to come away from there with any points. Anton Ferdinand is still a weak link in their centre of any defence so we have to try and exploit that and by playing on the break we can do that.We can now go into this match with a bit more self confidence which makes all the difference. I'm still keeping a brake on things but a week ago I gave us no hope at all for this match, but that sterling 2nd half effort against Arsenal yesterday which saw us come back from the dead can give us that little bit more self confidence going into this match

Green,

Tomkins, Upson, Gabbers

Diamond Geezer, Cole
Puff , 3 at the back has always been a favourite of mine , take your point on wingbacks , but still think starting with Diananti is a risk .

Your formation may help offset their use of the full width, but from what i saw in the opening 20 mins yesterday i would stick with 4-4-2

But I do like 3 at the back .
Happyhammer93
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Happyhammer93 »

the pink palermo wrote: Puff , 3 at the back has always been a favourite of mine , take your point on wingbacks , but still think starting with Diananti is a risk .

Your formation may help offset their use of the full width, but from what i saw in the opening 20 mins yesterday i would stick with 4-4-2

But I do like 3 at the back .
But as iloveyoudailly has pointed out the 3 at the back are not in good form/haven't played much. Tomkins and Upson have been inconsistent and Gabbers hasn't played much since 2008 and I make this a must win game as we have Everton and Villa afterwards which will be hard to take points off and if we don't get anything from this game we could be far from safety.

So I would much rather stick with what worked yesterday than change things round.
farmerham
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by farmerham »

sendô wrote:I'd be tempted to bring Behrami into Parker's role, stick Noble on the right and play Diamanti at the tip of the diamond. I'd also like to see Hines start. Jiminez and Stanislas on the bench give us options if needs be, as I guess could Faubert and Kovac. Keeping Bent and Jones quiet is key, although rumour has it the former has a knee injury.

Hopefully they'll take confidence from teh Arsenal fightback into mackemland, and stay tight at the back for the first time since Wolves.
The reason we stayed tight at the back at wolves was purely collins doing
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

I am worried about Llunga's poor form this year and I am not convinced by Spector at RB.I would like to see Collison and Behrami in the middle. But I don't think this is the time to experiment. I think GFZ will go for the same formula as far as he can.
Green
Faubert Upson Tomkins Llunga
Collison Noble Kovac Behrami
Franco Cole

Diamanti Hines to come on if we struggle
Stanilas to come on for some width possibly too.
I can't see Jiminez featuring for a while at this rate and as for that Dyer bloke...
Julian's Dick

Post by Julian's Dick »

Anyone putting Faubert back in the team is just a plain Buffoon and proves that some people really don't know what they are talking about.

This thread holds no credit so far because already I have seen people putting Ilunga in left mid and Hines playing centre mid.

Come on people think before you type.
Last edited by Julian's Dick on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

4-4-2 Diamond formation.
Faubert back to give us width, Diamanti in for Noble to give us another alternative and better use of free kicks, Kovac in for Parker. Simple.

......................Green...................
Faubert...Tomkins...Upson...Ilunga
......................Kovac...................
.........Behrami.............Collison....
.....................Diamanti................
..............Franco.......Cole............

Subs: Kurucz, Spector, Gabbidon, Jimenez, Noble, Stanislas/Dyer (if fit), Hines

Things going our way - Noble + Specs on for added defence
Things aren't - Jimenez, Stan/Dyer, Hines for extra threat

I'm keeping with Franco because for his first game up against Arsenal he did quiete well and should be given another chance :thup:

I'm also predicting a hard earned 2-1 win, maybe Cole and a Diamanti with the goals. COYI! :crest:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

sendô wrote:I'd be tempted to bring Behrami into Parker's role, stick Noble on the right and play Diamanti at the tip of the diamond. I'd also like to see Hines start. Jiminez and Stanislas on the bench give us options if needs be, as I guess could Faubert and Kovac. Keeping Bent and Jones quiet is key, although rumour has it the former has a knee injury.

farmerham wrote:The reason we stayed tight at the back at wolves was purely collins doing
:lol: Were you at the match?