West Ham Utd 2 Aston Villa 1 (04/11/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronsEnthusiast

Re: West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by IronsEnthusiast »

We were the only league game. You'd have to be completely stupid to show that on BBC One.
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

IronsEnthusiast wrote:We were the only league game. You'd have to be completely stupid to show that on BBC One.

Plus it was a re-scheduled match due to Villa being in Europe at some point months ago.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

I think that Green's penalty save (the reverse of Kanoute's penalty miss) could well be the thing that galvanises the players, and turns things around for Zola. I dont think that the corner has been turned, but someone might have located the car indicator....

I think if that goes in, heads go down, we feel hard done by, yada, yada......

Instead, Green saves it, and we seemed to perk up.

Hines - I have mentioned this before - reminds me more of Ian Wright than anyone else I have seen, he just always wants to shoot around the box. He improvised yesterday for the goal, having missed a couple, and (unlike Cole and others) he just kept trying until he did score.

He is young, and raw, and I would rather not be relying on teenagers, but he wants to commit defenders, and to shoot on sight.

Just to balance it up, what the f*** was Jiminez doing with that corner?
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Jimenez looks like a lesbian. I think like many lesbians, he is trying too hard.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Chuck D wrote: Just to balance it up, what the f*** was Jiminez doing with that corner?
And it was all going so well!!

I make you right on that though, it did seem to have an impact on the players to the effect where we didn't look despondent when they scored.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

cockney hammer wrote:
Whoever shot that is about 5 seats to my right... :lol:
hamz

Post by hamz »

So was youngs goal a shot or a pass?

I dont think these are mutually exclusive, i feel that, young, in that position was actually passing the ball with pace but also had the intention of hitting the target just in case the strikers didnt make it, which they didnt, wonder goal imho.

the logical thing for young to do in that position, with runners going forward, is to attempt both.
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

I think he looked up quick, saw two men going to the far post and put the ball up there as best he could. 50% skill, 50% luck.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Forever Moore wrote:hammer, yes I understand where you're coming from with that response, but from what I've read, local communities are subsidising the clubs and a deficit of say £3.3 million would probably pay for more than 80 new officers for a year.
I believe the public purse shouldn't bear the brunt of policing major sporting events, nor for example the cost of policing the Royal family and the various hangers on connected to them. Neither for events like the Notting Hill Carnival etc. Furthermore I don't believe the amount of crime and disorder especially outside the ground on match days and the cost of bringing to court these crimes, should come from the public purse. The policing outside the ground is also taking away police from where the general public are entitled to have them patrolling which means your street, my street etc.
Most of all it bugs me because of the wealth that the game generates to clubs these days, I have no problem hitting clubs in the pocket with a 'further taxation' 'cos the clubs can pay out a ton of dosh a week to pay the idiots who play for them, so why shouldn't they pay out of their own pocket the complete and utter cost of protecting the idiots that support them! Just my opinion! :D
Wrong! ... not just your opinion.

I do disagree about the royal family though. As a matter of principle they are only a target because they are Britain's monarchy - if they were just another family they wouldn't need protection so it's right the country should pay. As a matter of practicality if they did pay for their own policing costs their allocation from the civil list would get increased to cover their additional responsibilities so either way the public end up paying.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

hammer1975 wrote:negatives
midfield still sits too deep and runs out of ideas in the final third despite dominating possession second half
zola brings on jiminez in 89th minute - what's that about? many on this forum were shouting for jiminez or diamanti after about 60 minutes - if it had remained 1-1 I think many would have been talking missed opportunity
I agree re the midfield. I think the problem is, we play with 4 centre mids, who are all fairly similar in what they do and the way they play. As such, we are very one dimentional in the middle. We lack width, and we lack creative support for the strikers. There isn't a great deal we can do about the lack of width now (short of putting Faubert on the wing which of course opens up another debate entirely). We can however play the likes of Jimenez/Diamanti/Franco in the forward midfield position so as to link up better with the front two.

I couldn't see the point in bringing Jiminez on that late personally. He barely had time to touch the ball and the only memorable thing he did was give the ball away from teh corner. Why not do it 10/15 mins earlier when he can have an impact?
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

bristolhammerfc wrote:My opinion of last nights game:

Green, grew in confidence was back to his best last night. No chance for the goal 9

Parker immense, broke up play, great tackle back in the first half, top player on the night 9

Hines, just edged by Parker for MOM, pacey and enthusiastic 8
So you gave Green and Parker higher ratings but Hines was your man of the match? :eh:

Also, why do we suddenly have a team full of blonde bimbos? I know most of them live in Essex and all...
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

Hines, just edged by Parker for MOM, pacey and enthusiastic
So you gave Green and Parker higher ratings but Hines was your man of the match?
Idjyiot...... :lol:
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

Will teach me just to skim read.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Chuck D wrote:I think that Green's penalty save (the reverse of Kanoute's penalty miss) could well be the thing that galvanises the players, and turns things around for Zola. I dont think that the corner has been turned, but someone might have located the car indicator....
Thats just plain lovely Chuck !
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Stevey wrote:Will teach me just to skim read.

Apology accepted :thup: :lol:
Stevey

Post by Stevey »

It still should have read that Green was just edged by Parker rather than Hines. :wink: :lol:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Yeah probably, forgot to rate Franco as well, teach me to post after being at the pub :lol: :lol:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Just to balance it up, what the f*** was Jiminez doing with that corner?
i hear you.

What the ***k was Noble doing with his free-kicks..one which grubbed along the floor, the other straight at the wall, two over shot and one other landed harmlessly on no mands land.

Cant think of a worse free kick taker yet he consistently gets up and does it Headbanger
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

w4hammer wrote: i hear you.

What the ***k was Noble doing with his free-kicks..one which grubbed along the floor, the other straight at the wall, two over shot and one other landed harmlessly on no mands land.

Cant think of a worse free kick taker yet he consistently gets up and does it Headbanger
Lack of alternatives? Other than Diamanti, who is there who can strike a dead ball?

I seem to remember Spector hitting one in the first half that went straight to them.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Lack of alternatives? Other than Diamanti, who is there who can strike a dead ball?
my son, he's 15. he can i) beat the wall ii) float-it iii) whip it iv) chip it.

they are professional ****ing footballers for ****'s sake. Im not asking for an" up and down" from 15 yards, or a 40 yard screamer...just a ball that beats the wall and lands within three feet of a bloke wearing a claret shirt...or am I being needy? :crest: